Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a report, but I did a search of the 08+ forum and didn't find anything....

Anyhow, I am putting on new tires to replace the stockers. I got the rear done (since I had experience with a poorly timed flat), but I cannot figure out how to remove the front. I went and bought from Aerostich two combo tire irons/22mm and 24mm wrenches. Well, Aerostich didn't bother saying that they were for the pre-08 KLR. The 22mm is supposed to be the front; it doesn't fit (the 24mm really doesn't fit on the rear either).

I have a socket to remove the bolt, but there is nothing to hold the axle in place. Again, the owner's manual is useless. Help is appreciated, I want to be sure I have all tools necessary to fix a flat in the field.

Bike is 2009.

·
Administrator
8,282 Posts
SteelB12-

There's a big hex socket in the front axle. Use the appropriate Allen wrench.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,282 Posts
SteelB12 -

Yes, it's a 14mm.

However, you can get away with out such a beastie. The pinch bolts are more than ample to hold the bolt against the axle nut torqueing requirements.

See here:

http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?p=48214#post48214

Adapt the method for a lack of Allen wrench by tapping the head of the bolt before tightening the speedo-side pinch bolts, just to make sure it's up against its shoulder.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,282 Posts
SteelB12 -

If you want to have a tool for this to throw in your kit, go down and fetch up a bolt and a nut that take a 14mm spanner. Select the nut so that the grip length is the thickness of the nut plus a lock washer.

Put the bolt, lock washer, and nut together with some blue Loctite and tighten it up real good.

Presto, 14 mm "Allen wrench"...

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts