Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked around but have not been able to find what I was looking for. I had another bike, Yamaha FJR1300A Sport Touring bike that came standard with 2 headlight bulbs that when on both were on and when high beam selected both went to high beam. KLR should be that way having 2 independent bulb sockets. I would like to be able to wire it that way if possible and also to replace the stock 55/60w bulbs with 80/100w bulbs like I did on my FJR and on my Vulcan 800. I like light out front and don't like the Sport Bikes or others that give you 2 headlight sockets but seem not to utilize them properly. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I have looked around but have not been able to find what I was looking for. I had another bike, Yamaha FJR1300A Sport Touring bike that came standard with 2 headlight bulbs that when on both were on and when high beam selected both went to high beam. KLR should be that way having 2 independent bulb sockets. I would like to be able to wire it that way if possible and also to replace the stock 55/60w bulbs with 80/100w bulbs like I did on my FJR and on my Vulcan 800. I like light out front and don't like the Sport Bikes or others that give you 2 headlight sockets but seem not to utilize them properly. Any ideas?

There's not enough reserve power to double the power requirements for both lights. On low beam there's about 100 watts available. You could add HID's accesory lights without taxing the electrical system too much. IMHO the Gen 2 KLR has very good lighting compared to most older bikes.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The 08+ KLR uses H7 lamps, so only one filament, the reflector shape determines the light pattern. The left is a low beam pattern, and the right is the high beam pattern. When the high beams are on, both my lamps are illuminated.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The Buell headlights? Having owned a Buell, I can safely say that strapping a Bic lighter to the front of the bike would be far more effective than those lights.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Huh

The Buell headlights? Having owned a Buell, I can safely say that strapping a Bic lighter to the front of the bike would be far more effective than those lights.
After spending the last few minutes trying to gain knowledge on this grand mod I have come to a decision. It looks like mounting a couple on the forks or the crash guards might be the best way?

·
Registered
303 Posts
After spending the last few minutes trying to gain knowledge on this grand mod I have come to a decision. It looks like mounting a couple on the forks or the crash guards might be the best way?
I would do some of the high power LEDs mounted in crash resistant places.

·
Registered
186 Posts
yes
yes ,,agree,,,LED is th way to go!!! or check out trailtech.com

gen1 has extra stock electric hook up,,behind main light (as like turn signial),, leds will plug into there an run, when your light is on=even briten some when flick to highs!! or add a switch ..NO running new wireing needed,,is about a true plug-n-play, just have to match end conecters up male/female, make sure the right size..

what size bulb does gen 2 have(as gen1 has a h4 bulb) =so have you looked for -super bright -or- high powered bulbs... as wal-mart, e-bay,etc..

i found EUROLITE(e-bay) to be great,,or upper line sylviaina brand (wal-mart) to be a great eazy, cheap, upgrade just switch out..

fyi ,,i have added three seperate leds ,,to that (extra stock) hook up ,,all drawing under 10watts !! an super bright!! all hooked to a switch,,when on back roads ,an all on , MAN CAN YOU SEE, EVERYTHING !!

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
IMHO the Gen 2 KLR has very good lighting compared to most older bikes.
Agreed. I ride mine at night all the time and don't really see how you could want for more illumination with a GenII KLR. In fact, when I approach any kind of reflective sign, I have to switch to LO beam because the light coming off the signs annoys the hell out of me. To me, the lights cut a wide swath and run well down the road ahead of me. I have no complaints with them whatsoever.

I do, however, have an "auxiliary" light that's wired directly to the battery. I mostly installed it so I'd have a backup to the headlights if they failed on my way home from work at night. It doesn't compare to the stock lights, but will do the job, although low speeds would be in order. If I turn it on with the headlights on, I can tell it's on, but it doesn't really do any good.

I've never really utilized it, except for nights when I get home and there's no moon and it's pitch black out and I can reach down and switch it on to find my way in to the house without having to turn on the ignition switch. It's nice to know it's there, though.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
I have looked around but have not been able to find what I was looking for. Any ideas?
Not entirely sure what you're looking for, but . . . if it's decent-and-safe lighting for a Generation 1 KLR650, I HIGHLY recommend the TPI trick headlight setup; preferably with relay harness, but you can simply plug-and-play if you're willing to accept that level of performance, and trust your handlebar switch wiring to handle the extra curent.

The TPI bulb arrangement, literally, provides "night-and-day" difference when compared to the stock lighting. The LOW beam draws more current (80 W, high beam, 60 W), dramatically illuminates the near terrain.

Check out http://www.klrparts.com , for more info . . . if superior lighting is what you're looking for. Click "Electrical," look for "TPI Super Low Beam Bulb" (has a high beam, too!).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts