Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I got my bike last Spring I thought it would be a fun project to paint it satin black this winter - it was fun!

- I used the Krylon Fusion spray paint on the plastics
- To prep the plastics and tank, I roughed them with a medium steel wool
- For the tank, I used a high temp engine enamel that said it was gas resistant

The paint seems to be pretty solid - even though I missed some spots and had some runs - it came out good enough for me!

Here's some pics:

More at;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5515744005/in/set-72157626240394268/#/photos/[email protected]/5515744005/in/set-72157626240394268/lightbox/

·
Registered
148 Posts
That looks great, good job, I like the picture of your drying room...Keep in mind that a dishwasher makes a good parts washer....I would like to do my engine as well...Let use know how it holds up

·
Registered
219 Posts
Looks great!

What's all that white stuff on the ground?

·
Registered
663 Posts
HHAHAHAHAH… LOVE IT…… . My kind of project when I see coat hangers hanging from an extension cord…. :character00271:

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
oh yeah.....

Looks awesome!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks guys! It was a fun project. I'll report back on how the Krylon Fusion holds on to the plastics - once I have a few miles on it this summer.
Looks Great.:)
How do you think Black Fusion Textured Shimmer would look?
I have a Red 08 The tank is silver and would stay that way but I was thinking about spraying all the red with with black fusion Shimmer. Basic Raider silver and black.
I have the paint what do you guys think?:confused:
Also Raider emblems or the infamous KLR BMW roundels on the fairings?Both?

Chaos

·
Administrator
8,284 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think black and silver looks good - seen a few of those out there under the google images searches. I also saw a all white older model KLR that looked really cool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That looks great! I've been looking at photos like this of people making their KLR's "theirs" and am giving serious thought to doing that to mine as a winter project next winter. I read that Krylon gives good results on plastic, when prepped properly. I was wondering though, what about vehicle wrap? They are even starting to use it in lieu of paint in some cases. It might be more durable, and though it might be a little more than cans of Krylon, I can't imagine it would be too expensive to do on the plastic. There's a place here that does it, I'll investigate and report back what I find. Again, nice job, the flat black looks sharp!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts