Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. Im brand new to this site. Well, a member now so I can post.
My KLR seems to have something stick in the carb at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Then it bogs... runs good up to 1/2 throttle or more when theres no load, but I can only creep along in gear. Happened on the AC expressway the other day. Had to use the breakdown lane for 40 miles(could only go 43) before trying to choke it which enabled me to go 63mph. I've found that when the bike sits a bit, it runs fine again. i'm hoping I've put out a few clues. Tried seafoam and thought that was the end of my problems but it happened again a couple weeks later. actually I think its when I give it a lot of throttle/rpm, like passing someone on the highway quickly. Any thoughts? I've scrolled thru other threads but havent found anything that sounde just like my problem.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sounds like there may be something blocking main jet at times, when your using choke (enrichner) Your allowing more fuel in. Would consider removing carb and cleaning making sure all jets are clear. Good Luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had that happen to my carbed Sportster. I removed the air cleaner and shot about half a can of carb cleaner in the carb running at different speeds. It did the trick.
If that doesn't work it's time to clean the jets as Terry suggests.

Bob

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Clogged main jet, or diaphragm air leak; likely valid diagnoses, IMHO.

Without an air-tight diaphragm seal, slide cannot rise adequately for needle to clear needle jet and uncover main jet; check for holes, tears, improper seal.

As to clogged main jet, consequences obvious. Maybe, "better living through chemistry" (joy-juice fuel treatment added to gas tank) will cure it, more likely, mechanical cleaning necessary.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fwiw there's a great video on YouTube about how to test you CV carb diaphragm with an air compressor about 18 inches from carb.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
91 Posts
u dont have to take the carb out. just loosen up the clamps and rotate the bottom towards the right side of the motorcycle. u can turn it enough to get at the jets that way. saves a lot of time. just be careful not to break off the crappy plastic thingy on the carb for the choke.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Clogged main jet, or diaphragm air leak; likely valid diagnoses, IMHO.

Without an air-tight diaphragm seal, slide cannot rise adequately for needle to clear needle jet and uncover main jet; check for holes, tears, improper seal.

As to clogged main jet, consequences obvious. Maybe, "better living through chemistry" (joy-juice fuel treatment added to gas tank) will cure it, more likely, mechanical cleaning necessary.
What Damocles said (most likely a piece of junk floating around the float bowl)
OR
Due to the erratic nature of the issue it could be fuel tap starting to go Gen 2 you can disable the vacuum shut off for nothing Click Here FREE Fuel Tap Vacuum Delete 2008+ KLR650 | Facebook (disable at your own risk, it is a safety feature)
OR
If its a Gen 2, some sort of loose connection or charging issue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts