Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

2009 klr650 Just started shaking

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Spec 
#1 ·
I was riding when somthing went, and the bike started shaking. I did not lose power. And when I took off the oil fill cap when the bike is running it fills like the exhust is blowing out the hole. What could this be?

#3 ·
Does the shaking increase with speed or RPM? Just trying to determine if it's engine or wheel related.

If speed related look for bent rims / loose spokes. Maybe a gob of mud or a rock stuck in the knobs. If it goes with RPM I'd say something in the counter balancer is broken or out of time.

With the oil cap off and running it's normal to feel what you describe, just venting of the piston reciprocating.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum. As Flash pointed out, what you are finding at the oil filler is normal.

Need some more details about this shaking. Is the shaking continuous, increasing and decreasing with RPM's? At a stop, being ridden, or both?

I'm sure you more than concerned about all this, and wild speculation on my part based on scant details won't help much. Get us some more details. I'd also suggest adding your location to your user profile. You'd be surprised where help can come from if they know where you are....

Your engine has a chain driven counter balancer system to minimize engine vibration. It has a history of issues ranging from components of the system breaking and getting lost, to these broken parts causing catastrophic engine failure. I don't want to be an alarmist, and any reference to the balancer system would be speculation at this point. It could as easily be a missing motor mount bolt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.