Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and I need help. I am negotiating to purchase my first klr 650 with a reputable dealer close to my home. They have a 2009 klr 650 with matching title and vin numbers. Here is the problem. The bike looks like a 2007 klr650 in silver and black and has the older front fairing and single square headlight. I respectfully asked the owner about my concerns. He pulled the vin numbers and title and double checked them and they stated a 2009 model. Still looked like a 2007 to me... So he used the vin to look up parts and the parts list matched 2009. Still physically looks like a 2007 to me... He even pulled the paperwork when the bike shipped to his dealership in August of 2009. I have done all the research I can and still cant draw a conclusion on this matter. The bike at the dealership looks exactly like the 2007 in silver and black. How is this possible? PLEASE HELP ME. ANYBODY? ANYBODY? COFFEE?

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
The year is in the VIN so start there; forget what the title says as that could be in error.

There is one of two possibilities;
- It's a 2007 with a title error or
- it's a 2009 that has been extensively modified (crash?)

read: http://www.watt-man.com/uploads/KLR_ID.pdf Is the 10th digit of the VIN a 7 or a 9?

Does it have a Gen1 or Gen2 swingarm? forks? tank? rear fender, side plates? there are lots of clues. pics here; http://watt-man.com/uploads/KLR_Timeline.pdf

FWIW, I'd be hoping it's a 2007; Gen1's are my preference. ;-)

Dave

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Does the BIQ (bike in question) have SINGLE-, or DOUBLE-piston caliper brakes front and rear?

2008 and beyond have DOUBLE-piston brake calipers, both front and rear, even though the "official" Kawasaki specifications say the Generation 2 rear brake has a single-piston caliper..

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
simplyclev,
I'll suggest that you look / read the STAMPED vin. Not the sticker.
Sometimes a little harder to read, but should be accurate.

And yes, 10th character is year code. So 9 will be 2009. An alpha (A,,,,) will be 2010 or newer. Or Older than 2000 (,,,,Y).

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
From DPellitier's Watt Man lore:

"2007: The last A model is produced. These are the last bikes that have a frame ID that start with JKAKLEA."

Speaking of the 2008 model:

"These are the first bikes that have a frame ID that start with JKAKLEE, . . . "

Please let us know the resolution of this dilemma!

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Dunno... A 2009 with 2007 plastics? I'd personally pass on this, just don't seem right.

(Side note, I didn't even think the gen 1 plastics would bolt onto a gen 2, am I wrong?)

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Just checked the AMA trade guide.
Only 200 hundred dollars separating the 2 years.
Do you suppose they are aware of the potential oil burning of the 08-09?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Look at the number of wires coming out of the alternator engine cover. 7 for the gen1 and only 5 for the gen2.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Dunno... A 2009 with 2007 plastics? I'd personally pass on this, just don't seem right.

(Side note, I didn't even think the gen 1 plastics would bolt onto a gen 2, am I wrong?)
I am also curious as to whether or Not the Gen 1 plastic will fit a Gen 2 radiator??????
If so, I might keep my eyes Open for a Gen 2 radiator off of E-bay!

Can anybody confirm or dis-miss?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Just checked the AMA trade guide.
Only 200 hundred dollars separating the 2 years.
Do you suppose they are aware of the potential oil burning of the 08-09?
The prices quoted in the various guides vary a great deal. Checking Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com), the "Retail Value" within my zip code area is listed as, $ 3250 for the '07, and $ 3595 for the '09.

But in the November, 2015 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN), "Used Bike Value Guide" (p. 34), an '07 is valued at $ 3465, while an '09 is listed at $ 4480.

These MCN values appear high, to me, at least for the local market. Further, a grand seems a wide gap between two model years of a bike selling new for only $ 5000.

Regardless, the guides are just "guides;" the true value remains what the machine will bring where it sits, IMHO.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
So he used the vin to look up parts and the parts list matched 2009.
Have him check the part number for the fairing and signal lights.

To me there is far too much confusion around this bike. I'd never buy a 2009 KLR. The 2007 is my favorite year for color combination so I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Look for another KLR.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your quick and accurate responses. This was the "hands on" information only experienced riders and owners could know. I will be return to the dealer by the end of the week with our new findings.

On a side note the bike in question is in excellent shape with 8000 miles. The price is $3000.00 firm. I cannot include pictures until I have at least 15 posts.

Once again Thank You.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Nothing.
So long as the title work is clear and clean!
Hell, I'd love to have the larger fork diameter! For free, even better.

To each their own, but I wouldn't trade the larger fork diameter for reduced suspension travel and an additional 20+lbs .....never mind the usual early Gen2 teething issues....

Dave

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your quick and accurate responses. This was the "hands on" information only experienced riders and owners could know. I will be return to the dealer by the end of the week with our new findings.

On a side note the bike in question is in excellent shape with 8000 miles. The price is $3000.00 firm. I cannot include pictures until I have at least 15 posts.

Once again Thank You.
Post the pictures on Photobucket or equivalent and PM the links to me. I will post them for you. Alternately you can email them to me at the email I sent you in a PM.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
In some ways you can expect better service from an 8,000 mile KLR than a new one. Any "wobbles" will have appeared and been dealt with + someone else covered the depreciation.

Gentlemen,

Once again Thank You.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gentlemen,

This morning I was able to go to the dealership armed with all of the information you have given me. I was very respectful and passed along the information to the sales person. Here are the facts; the bike is a 2007 model per matching vin numbers and 2007 styling. The bike also has a manufactured date of 11/2006 per the sticker on the frame. They dealer said that's nice and all but the bike is a 2009. They were very nice, I was very nice but I did not purchase the bike.

If everything doesn't match up I have trouble pulling the trigger. Hopefully I will find one sooner than later.

Thank all of you for everything.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Wow; that is one "challenged" salesperson! Hope that someone buys it and then demands a refund later when they prove that they've been defrauded. This isn't rocket science, it's pretty cut and dried! just wow.

Dave

1 - 20 of 27 Posts