Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

2009 Tire size

8K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  K650 
#1 ·
Hi all. I just got a set of Dunlop D606 dirt tires for my KLR. The back tire which is currently on my bike is a 130/80 - 17, but the new dirt tire is a 130/90 - 17, which I think is a little taller? Could someone please verify that the new one will fit my 2009 with no clearance issues? Thanks very much in advance.

JT

#2 ·
I've used a D606 for about six months now, and by coincidence, I spooned a new one on today! I have a 2009, and it fits fine with a 15t front sprocket. It is a bit taller than stock, so it's a hair closer to the swing arm. I don't know if you'd run into trouble with a 16 or 17t, but it fits fine with the 15t. Oh, and ps, I love the tire. Traction up the ying yang. :)

#3 ·
It'll fit.

I stuff 140's in there. (140/80-17 Shinko 705)

That's just me. 3.25" front (100/100-21). I like a slightly larger contact patch.
That also spreads out the weight which helps on roads n' soft stuff.
Hardpack benefits from a narrower tire "biting in" to the surface to
hold a decent line. Narrower is also good in the rain to cut through
the water to prevent or minimize hydroplaning, as compared to trying
to ride up on the water similar to speeding up in the sand to get on top.
That's where the wider tire is happiest. Always a compromise. I think the larger
tire out front helps to recal the speedo down to more correct readings, too.

More info than you asked for but hey, that's coffee in action. In fact it's having
an effect on my bladder too.

CheapAndWired

#4 ·
Thanks. Yes, I think I'll be ok on the width. I was mostly concerned about the extra height. My bike only has 8K, and the chain has not been stretched out much. The existing tire seems to be fairly close to the swingarm in the front, so I'm hoping the big knobs don't hit there.

JT

#6 ·
Glad it worked out - my prediction is you'll love the tire on dirt - the first time I used it I was smiling the whole time.

#9 ·
The Dunlop 606 front is available in 90/90-21 which is stock KLR size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.