Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reason to wait for a 2010 over a 2009??

I plan to purchase a KLR 650 within the next 2 weeks. The local shop has a NEW 09 red in stock. Are there any noticable reasons to get a 2010 instead or wait for a 2011?

Kawasaki is already advertising some new 2011 models... just not a KLR.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just color difference. I'd see what dollar difference that the dealer will be offering you

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought a new 2009 for $5,300.00 in March. The 2010 was $5,600.00 No difference in the two years.(EXCEPT $300 BUCKS) Make sure too ask the dealer about the wiring recall. They do the work for free. It's a good thing too. Kawasaki had to pay the dealer like a $700.00 repair bill. Ask him if he has the wiring harness there to do the work right after you buy the bike. I had to wait a week for them to get the parts in for mine. Just rode it in later and had them do it. Also make sure to search this form about PROPER BREAK IN on your new KLR. It can mean the difference of not having a OIL BURNER. I love my 09. Have over 2400 miles on it already. Glad to say the guys in here told me what to do for my break in. My bike is not burning any oil...

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had an 08 oil burner and sold it and upgraded to the 09, we now have 14,000 miles and we couldn't ask for a better bike.. I looked at the 2010 model and didn't see any thing other than price, Kawasaki is not know from making quantmum leap engineering changes from year to year in a given model, if it works don't fix it. There are some dealer stuck with old inventory 09's, if they are offering a significat discount I'd take the 09.

There was a wiring routing and muffler mounting nut tightening recall, neither of which are big deals, we didn't get our done until late in the game and there were no issues. Some bikes would chafe and short the harness and the muffler would come loose if the mounting bolts were not torqued.

We bought our 09 in December of 08 for $5,800 out the door, I had herd others bought theirs for $5,600 OTD.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I bought a new 2009 for $5,300.00 in March. The 2010 was $5,600.00 No difference in the two years.(EXCEPT $300 BUCKS) Make sure too ask the dealer about the wiring recall. They do the work for free. It's a good thing too. Kawasaki had to pay the dealer like a $700.00 repair bill. Ask him if he has the wiring harness there to do the work right after you buy the bike. I had to wait a week for them to get the parts in for mine. Just rode it in later and had them do it. Also make sure to search this form about PROPER BREAK IN on your new KLR. It can mean the difference of not having a OIL BURNER. I love my 09. Have over 2400 miles on it already. Glad to say the guys in here told me what to do for my break in. My bike is not burning any oil...

IMHO type of break in doesn't matter as far as oil usage. Read the various oil usage threads here and on other KLR forums.

A more plausible theory involves the warping of the cylinder liner from thermal shock. The Thermobob adds a bypass into the the coolant path to prevent the shock. I would install it before I rode a new KLR knowing what I know now! Will it stop the oil usage on a new bike don't know but it corrects one of the major OEM defects.

I hope your bike continues not to use oil but my guess is that it will because it's a engineering/manufacturing issue not an owner created one. My 08 didn't start to use oil until 4k miles.

I advise not to buy new from Kawasaki, they won't own up to the oil burning. If you have to have a new model KLR find a nice used one and use the extra money to buy the 685 kit, it's the only solution that's proved to stop the oil usage.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I had an 08 oil burner and sold it and upgraded to the 09, we now have 14,000 miles and we couldn't ask for a better bike.. I looked at the 2010 model and didn't see any thing other than price, Kawasaki is not know from making quantmum leap engineering changes from year to year in a given model, if it works don't fix it. There are some dealer stuck with old inventory 09's, if they are offering a significat discount I'd take the 09.

There was a wiring routing and muffler mounting nut tightening recall, neither of which are big deals, we didn't get our done until late in the game and there were no issues. Some bikes would chafe and short the harness and the muffler would come loose if the mounting bolts were not torqued.

We bought our 09 in December of 08 for $5,800 out the door, I had herd others bought theirs for $5,600 OTD.

Good luck

Not picking on you but I'm curious why you would buy another new KLR after having an oil burner? Is it lack of anything else in the price range that meets your needs?

My beef with Kawasaki is the attitude they have. It's like they're doing us a favour selling us the bike. I expect them to admit to screwing up the bike and recall it. You know have some integrity!

I know that some think that oil burning is no big deal and I can agree with that to a certain extent but come on we're the customer. The old model bikes didn't have the oil burning problem why is it alright for the new models?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info! Keep it coming! This is my first bike and there are many people around me that are playing devil's advocate on the idea of me getting a bike. It is making the decision to buy one difficult. I've seen a bunch of threads on the upgrades like the doohickey, etc... and am truly wondering if a used on would be better.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Thanks for all the info! Keep it coming! This is my first bike and there are many people around me that are playing devil's advocate on the idea of me getting a bike. It is making the decision to buy one difficult. I've seen a bunch of threads on the upgrades like the doohickey, etc... and am truly wondering if a used on would be better.

This will be you very first bike? If so don't buy new you will drop it. Even a tip over can break/scratch up stuff.

More important then the bike is you. Budget in the riding gear to the purchase. Start off with all the gear; full face helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, pants, etc. Figure about $750 for decent gear.

Most important is learning to be safe while riding. Before you ride read David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well. Also take a MSF Basic Rider class. http://www.msf-usa.org/. Show those that have concerns that you are serious about being a safe responsible rider!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
More important then the bike is you. Budget in the riding gear to the purchase. Start off with all the gear; full face helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, pants, etc. Figure about $750 for decent gear.

Most important is learning to be safe while riding. Before you ride read David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well. Also take a MSF Basic Rider class. http://www.msf-usa.org/. Show those that have concerns that you are serious about being a safe responsible rider!
Listen. +1

·
Registered
327 Posts
This will be you very first bike? If so don't buy new you will drop it. Even a tip over can break/scratch up stuff.

I just got a '09 new a month ago and would say ^^^ for sure!!!

I just had my first crash and am stoked I took the time to put all my gear on every time I go out as it really saved me from more hurt then I needed.

Take the MSF class if you haven't already!

I happen to know for fact kawi hasn't even shot the advertising for the 2011s so those are to far out to worry about.

Unless you don't care about trashing a new bike and have the money to not care go used. I only got new because I got a deal beyond all deals and thus it was the only way to go for me. It still hurt emotionally to crash as much as it did physically but now I got the shinny out and added character showing I've been there!

Did I mention gear?

Oh and I figure by now you may have already made your decision but I couldn't sleep so bump, what did you decide?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And the verdict is…

I got the 09 Red with 1 mile on it. I know the emotional pain could be bad if/when crashing a new bike, but hey it’s NEW, plus the replacement parts are available. Now I get to break it in and don't have to worry about what someone else did to it first. I paid $5000 out the door. The dealer was not budging on the 2010. They were trying to get me to take the 09. They wanted $6700 (after numerous ridiculous fees) for a 2010. It was a no-brainer.

The bike is great! I can see why there is a big following with this bike and I have taken the MSF course. It is now required by law in FL that you take the course before you get your endorsement on your license.

I have only put 22 miles on my KLR in the few days I’ve had it. They are all practice miles. I’ve been at a local park practicing the skills and exercises I learned from the course. I don’t have any problems riding; I’m just trying to tame the part of me that is overconfident.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Sounds like you're doing everything right. Congrats on the new bike!

·
Registered
29 Posts
You did well in buying the '09. I went with a black '09 instead of a black '10. The only difference was the stick-on graphics (which I'm taking off eventually) and several hundred dollars. A "year-old" bike also costs you less in personal property taxes (where I live) and possibly on insurance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good advice I the 09. I got mine new about a month ago for $4400 and I love it. I asked about the wiring harness and they showed me a computer print out that said it was a late enough manuafactured bike, it didn't need it. I hope that's true.
Al

·
Registered
59 Posts
09 vs 10

Good advice on the 09 vs 10. I got mine new about a month ago for $4400 and I love it. I asked about the wiring harness and they showed me a computer print out that said it was a late enough manuafactured bike, it didn't need it. I hope that's true.
Al

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Picture is under my profile. Have only taken a few, but as soon as I have some time, I'll post some more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts