Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone, this is my first post here, hope I'm in the right section.

I've been on a road trip last w-e and since I came back, I've been hearing a metallic rattle which seems to come from the left side of the engine of my 2010 KLR 650.

I found a video on YouTube and what I hear is identical to what you can hear in the video (The video is called "KLR metallic noise from engine. What is this?", I can't post a link to it because I'm new here :crying:). FYI: I haven't done the doo and just recently changed the oil (before the road trip).

Anyways, hope you guys can help, I'm worried it might be bad :frown2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok guys, so I figured out what was wrong... I was running the bike way too low on oil, I didn't know KLRs burnt so much oil. It was missing a whole quart. I toped it off and the noise seems to be completely gone, I just hope I didn't break anything by running the bike so low on oil. That being said, I did an oil change like 3000km ago, so is it normal that it burnt so much oil? I did just go on a 2100km trip in 3 days and rode mostly highways.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,369 Posts
KLRs burn oil at rpms over 5000. They pretty much all do. There's a fix for that, if you want to do a little bit of wrenching.
Read this:
http://www.souperdoo.com/stuff that i think about/paul-westman-s-mods-to-fight-oil-burning

Being a quart low is not catastrophic.

Oil should be checked every time you get on the bike because it costs nothing, while running out of oil costs a lot.

A noise from the left side is often a loose balancer chain. How many miles are on the bike? Gen 2 are notorious for having a spring go slack very early one. Adjusting the balancer with a slack spring can cause the chain to become looser.

See this video.

Reactions: Toney

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Tom,

Thanks for your comment! The bike is a Gen 2 and has around 21500 km (13 000 miles) on it. I wouldn't mind doing the doohickey, but I don't know any mechanic in Montreal that does it. I'm not too bad with my hands, but drilling a small hole in my engine case scares me a bit, I must say. That being said, I will try and look for someone who can do it ASAP, because I don't want to ruin a perfectly running bike because I wanted to save a buck.

As for the oil, I was riding above 5K rpm constantly during my road trip, so that would explain it. I will definitely be more careful from now on.

Thanks again Tom, I really appreciate your time!

·
Administrator
8,369 Posts
If you are not too bad with your hands, you can do it. It's not that bad of a job.

Have a look at these videos for a walk-through of the job. There are four videos totaling about 45 minutes, plus a fifth video on what to do if you didn't watch the videos and dropped 'The Washer' down 'The Hole'.

Sometimes YouTube is crotchety and won't play the series, so here's the URL to the channel. You can find the playlist there.
https://www.youtube.com/user/souperdoo

Reactions: Toney

·
Administrator
8,369 Posts
You can take the outer case off and see if the spring is still functional (I'd bet a box of Tim Horton's finest that it isn't).You do that by loosening the adjustment bolt and watching the lever for movement.

If it doesn't move or worse, it loosens, not to worry. You can manually push the lever to the left to effect the adjustment. Then you've bought a lot of time to get the job done.

Reactions: Dicky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can take the outer case off and see if the spring is still functional (I'd bet a box of Tim Horton's finest that it isn't).You do that by loosening the adjustment bolt and watching the lever for movement.

If it doesn't move or worse, it loosens, not to worry. You can manually push the lever to the left to effect the adjustment. Then you've bought a lot of time to get the job done.
If I do that and it does loosen, do I need to fish out the spring or do I leave it in? That is an excellent idea by the way, thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
yasio, One would have to pull the flywheel rotor to pull the old spring out. So no, not yet.

You will remove the old style spring when you install an EM Doo-Hickey with Torsion spring.
The manual adjustment Tom mentions will give you 2000-5000 miles of time to get home or schedule time to perform the proper install of new parts.

Reactions: Tom Schmitz
1 - 9 of 9 Posts