Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2011 KLR that the previous owner had recycled the dead battery. Can someone guide me to the correct gel cell replacement for fitment ?

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
The 14L-A2 designation is actually for conventional flooded cell battery size, style & post location. The "YB" prefix indicates "Yuasa Battery" as manufacturer. The battery in Dan's link is an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) that fits into the space of the 14L-A2 original battery.

The Yuasa brand battery number for the sealed, never add water AGM battery which fits the KLR650 is ("Y"TX14AHL).

I personally prefer the fill them myself & charge them completely myself model, so I know when its live started. That Yuasa number is YTX14AHL-BS.
The -BS stands for 'bottle serviced', they come with a premeasured 6-pack of acid to perfectly fill the cells before permanently capping them.

Actual battery life starts the day the acid is added, not the day that the battery might have been purchased for the store.
If batteries are not charged completely after initial filling they will fail early. Storage maintainer chargers turn down TOO Early to properly charge a new battery.
Batteries that are not used at least monthly should be maintained at least monthly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the storage/maintainer type chargers will not completely charge the battery on the initial charge, what type of charger do you use?

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
If the storage/maintainer type chargers will not completely charge the battery on the initial charge, what type of charger do you use?
For Initial Charging or Recovery of a severely discharged flooded cell or AGM battery, an old fashioned 1 amp charger which is capable of technically over-charging the batteries works best.
But one also needs to have a reasonably accurate Volt meter to periodically test the 'on-charger' voltage.

A flooded cell battery needs to reach at least 14.5 volts while charging & preferably dis-connect before 15 volts Maximum.
(If a flooded cell battery & your charger will only rise to 14.2 - 14.4 volts one needs to leave it on charger for 1-2 additional hours to ensure full saturation.)
When removed from charger & allowed to stabilize for 1 hour the voltage should not drop below 12.6 volts.

An AGM battery needs to reach at least 15.5 volts while charging & preferably dis-connect before 16 volts Maximum.
(If an AGM battery & your charger will only rise to 15.2 - 15.4 volts one needs to leave it on charger for 1-2 additional hours to ensure full saturation.)
When removed from charger & allowed to stabilize for 1 hour the voltage should not drop below 12.8 volts.

The automatic maintainer type chargers may touch the lower voltage numbers but they immediately drop into storage mode and never achieve full saturation levels. Therefore new batteries tend to fail early & neglected used batteries tend to fade away again.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Hey, I just installed a Chrome Battery. Works just fine and can say it fits great (seems slightly shorter than wet cell) and got rid of the battery drain line. Looking forward to simpler battery maintenance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts