Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new to me 2011 with very little use (~4000 km/2500 mi.) seems to hit very hard on short sharp bumps on gravel or pavement, rear end bangs like there’s no spring at all. The suspension seems to absorb less sharp bumps fine and the spring/shock seems to be work normally otherwise. I’m about 160 lbs so it’s not overloaded. Rear preload is set at position 1, which I think is the lowest setting.
Can anyone tell me if this is normal for the KLR or is there posssibly a problem and if so what to look for? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I will suggest that a previous owner of your bike 'probably' installed some 'Lowering Links' on the rear suspension to allow them to achieve better footing in the rough & at stops.

Can you do pics of the suspension linkage under the swingarm?

Are the front fork steel tubes protruding appreciably above the top triple clamp also?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply. The bike seems to still be at full height (approx 34.5”) but here’s a pic of the links, which measure 5.5 centre to centre. The front fork tubes don’t protrude at all as far as I can see. Any other thoughts greatly appreciated, I’m new to the KLR
10D0E8CB-1A39-4A0F-981C-CB7CDF2C52FF.jpeg
10D0E8CB-1A39-4A0F-981C-CB7CDF2C52FF.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Well, there could be something wrong with your shock. To start off, increase the damping to max and then measure and set your sag properly (should be about 2 - 2.25") and see what happens then. From there it would be nice if you could try another KLR to see if there is a real problem or it's simply a matter of unrealistic expectations; 2008 - 2014's are all the same. Where are you located?

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Yes those are factory links. Ok, use a 12mm socket and turn the shock adjuster nut CW to increase the spring preload.

Many people found the 08-14 models softly sprung. In 2014.5 Kawasaki substantially increased the spring rates and many of those customers have purchased Cogent Suspension. So you might purchase 2014.5 - 2018 take off parts at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks, I’m in St. John’s NL. Don’t know anyone else with a KLR. I’ll try adjusting the preload/damping and see if that changes things.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Hey thanks, I’m in St. John’s NL. Don’t know anyone else with a KLR. I’ll try adjusting the preload/damping and see if that changes things.
Nice place, I've been there but unfortunately a bit too far from B.C. for you to come and try one of my KLR's! :)

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
295 Posts
The stock shock on my '06 would do that...but...with a load like me on board, it was bound to! Rick at Cogent fixed that for me with a custom Moab shock...he's done my TransAlp, Ducati race bike, Triumph race bike and so forth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts