Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well had to switch to reserve on my way home from lunch, went & filled up. I averaged about 44 miles to the gallon with in town driving only hauling my 260lbs butt around. Is that about average for the bike with 450 miles on it? Either way it beats the 8mpg my truck was getting.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
That sounds right to me.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
55 - 57 is about what I get on my 2011 with 2K plus on it. All around running.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I'm in the mid-40s usually, but I like to burn gas. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do y'all reset the miles every fill up to help know when you're about out? Whew round how many miles you have before switching to reserve?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Do y'all reset the miles every fill up to help know when you're about out? Whew round how many miles you have before switching to reserve?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

I get pretty close to 50 mpg regardless of how I ride. Works out to about 220-230 miles before reserve. Yea I reset the trip meter each fill up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I reset after both my fill ups. Thinking about it, I may have added more fuel than the last time, filled it to the bottom of the neck this time, may have been a bit below on the last fill up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Normally about 210-225 when I switch to reserve. I average about 45MPG but I too like to burn gas,when I ride.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I fill up at 190 before I hit reserve.

·
Registered
88 Posts
too early

Well had to switch to reserve on my way home from lunch, went & filled up. I averaged about 44 miles to the gallon with in town driving only hauling my 260lbs butt around. Is that about average for the bike with 450 miles on it? Either way it beats the 8mpg my truck was getting.
450 miles is not enough to worry about gas mileage yet. Break her in, tune her up, adjust the chain, get the sprockets and tires you want, then calculate.

450 miles is not enough for you to consistently find the sweet spot yet. Once she becomes second nature to you, then calculate.

Gotta have things loose and working right to get the best results. For right now, just admire the shine and enjoy.

To be accurate, figure gas mileage over several tanks, like a thousand miles. Just one extra squeeze on the pump handle will take you a long ways on a small bike like this, and that affects your mileage calculation.

Eventually, you will get 50+ like everyone else.

Yeah, 8mpg sucks these days. The old lady's Durango gets 11, and that's bad enough. My KLR gets 53 on the commute, 57 on the road. Bikes rock. Even our big R1200CLC touring bike even gets 50mpg.

·
Registered
452 Posts
my 2012 has 3500 miles on it im 250 and get 51 -57 miles per gallon . fully loaded and in dirt for 140 miles i still got 53 mpg . worst i got was at 9500 feet and 90 * was 43 mpg .

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sounds about right to me. I just passed 1K this week on my 2012. I started at 200 and am down to 180lbs. but carry an action packer with probably 15-20 lbs. of stuff. Hard to say how much you put in the tank. I'm going on reserve with the four tanks I've filled at about 215-225 prior to going on reserve.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My '09 with 14,000 miles on it gets just shy of 50 mpg nearly every fill. Thats with several WOT pulls with a fully built Schnitz engine. I'm really happy with it.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I consistently get 300 to 310 to reserve on my Orange 2011.
Of course being in Canada that would be KILOMETERS!!
It works out to 52miles per US gallon

·
Registered
366 Posts
On my 2011 I get between 40-45mph with the occasional high 30's depending on how far my right hand pulls the throttle.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
On my 2011 I get between 40-45mph with the occasional high 30's depending on how far my right hand pulls the throttle.

Must take more fuel when running the heater that far north:stickpoke:
Regards....Your next neighbor to the south....justjeff

·
Registered
366 Posts
Must take more fuel when running the heater that far north:stickpoke:
Regards....Your next neighbor to the south....justjeff
Yeah, my bike has always run cool, even with a Thermobob on it. Hence the screen name. I make sure she drinks as much as she needs to keep warm! To me the mileage is secondary, it's more about cutting my commute time in half and having a blast. ;-)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts