Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2012 KLR650 that recently developed a clunking sound when accelerating. The clunking seems to occur faster as the bike picks up speed and then goes away after 2nd gear. It started during a 2-up motorcycle trip which amounted to about 1000 miles. The bike has fresh oil. Any ideas as to what it could be?

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
SBAdvrider,
As lazeebum sort of suggest, I'd be checking for a chunk of gravel imbedded into a chain link.
I'd also ask you, if when you lift the bottom run of the chain, can it almost touch the rear edge of the rubber swing-arm slipper?
If not, your chain is Too Tight. Check for kinked/frozen links. Replace if needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't found any gravel in the chain, but the chain does appear to be too loose (it touches the rubber and when I lift up).

I will adjust it to the correct tension and let y'all know if that solves the issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
I haven't found any gravel in the chain, but the chain does appear to be too loose (it touches the rubber and when I lift up).

I will adjust it to the correct tension and let y'all know if that solves the issue. Thanks!
The drive chain Needs to have Enough Slack to Almost Touch the rubber!
Otherwise when you set on the bike and Load the Suspension the chain goes to 'Zero Slack', which was what I Wanted you to Confirm was Not Happening.
No Tighter than 1/8th inch from touching the rear tip of the Rubber Slider, when the chain is lifted UP.

Too Tight is Worse than Too Loose!
I do not re-adjust until the chain can be pressed almost to the metal of the swingarm aft of the rubber slider.

Maybe have a 3rd person Try to wiggle the lower run of the drive chain (at least 1/2 inch of play) when Both you and your passenger are on the bike?

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Maybe raise each end of the bike up if you can and give the front and rear wheels a spin, just to see if maybe you don't have a wheel bearing going south? I doubt that's it, but it never hurts to check. Also, has the rear wheel been off recently before this started occurring? Just wondering if maybe a spacer got missed on reassembly if so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chain seems to be the issue. It has a huge difference in slack between certain tight spots and the looser areas. Getting a new chain and sprockets next week. I will update the post if that fixes the issue.

Thanks for all of your support!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts