Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2012 KLR650 with only 1900 miles on it. I have ridden it for about 400 miles and just started noticing a weird rattle that sometimes shows up when I open the throttle. It almost seems like it coincides with when I need to shift.

Right now from what I can tell, with the bike in neutral, when I give it gas it rattles about halfway through.

I thought it was the cheap skid plate because the ends seemed to move, but when I held them down, the noise is still audible.

Is it possibly the doohickey, chain slipping?

It honestly sounds like something loose rattling, but is too consistent with the throttle.

Also I have heard it in several gears, not just in neutral. Also heard it upshifting and downshifting.

Any help is appreciated since I am new to these bikes.

TIA.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
You could try giving the doohickey an adjustment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's actually a good, common sense idea. Lol

You know what they say about common sense.

Thx.

Does it sound like the doo could be the issue?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I adjusted it and the problem persists.

Anyone have ideas.

I am going to pull the skid plate tomorrow and see if I can see anything down there. It really sounds like something is loose externally, but since I am not familiar with this bike I am not sure.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Well I adjusted it and the problem persists.

Anyone have ideas.

I am going to pull the skid plate tomorrow and see if I can see anything down there. It really sounds like something is loose externally, but since I am not familiar with this bike I am not sure.
I'm guessing your right on the external thing, I highly doubt that a bike with as low mileage as yours would have any internal issues. Also be sure to check your exhaust heat shield, if it get's loose it'll rattle. Also check crash bars if you have them... Please let us know what it turns out to be :).

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Ya plastic maybe. My Gen 1 fairing vibrates with throttle. Can't seem to get rid of it either.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Double check the heat shield on the header pipe, there are rubber grommets on shield where bolts go through that tend to harden up and crack from heat. Have had to replace mine a few times. Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well i removed the skid plate and checked for loose parts. Found nothing. The heat shield seemed tight and solid but i didnt remove it to check the rubber grommets. Should i do that?

I think the noise may just be normal klr noise, but i have no real frame of reference. It does sound more like plastic.

I noticed the front right corner of the skid plate vibrates with the sound, but the noise persisted with the skid plate removed.

Maybe i'll take video. Any ideas? I may pull the heat shield next and do some video

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx, but the noise existed even when I drove it back without plates on it. I really think it's just plastics somewhere maybe by the radiator. Whenever I tune the bike up I'll look into it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
vibration

I had the same problem with my 2012. It was buzzing where the dash panel meets the fairing. I stuffed a couple of rubber washers in there and it has been silent for 5000 miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts