Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright Boys and Girls,

It is almost the end of 2012. I have met some very cool fellow KLRers and have learned a hell of a lot about my bike. I am thinking about a multiple day trip to the Grand Canyon in the beginning of July 1st thru 6th or so.

I would like to ask if there are others tat would be interested in a trip of this sort. I am not set on the destination but on the opportunity. If you have a good idea and would enjoy riding together, I would like to hear from you.

Snakeboy66

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
little far in the future but i would be interested. i live about 6 hours from pheonix on i-10 not sure how much farther it is from there but sounds fun.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello All,

Grand Canyon, Washington, New Mexico, Death Valley. I am still musing over the destination.

Snakeboy66

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Hello All,

Grand Canyon, Washington, New Mexico, Death Valley. I am still musing over the destination.

Snakeboy66
I'll ride with you. Pick the route, and count me in. You think'n camping? Hotel? both? Keep in mind that those routes start getting hot around then. I love going North, but I will follow...

MB4

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Put me down as tentative for now. Need to figure out the dates but it's good to start planning early.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Mark B4,

I appreciate the support. I am thinking along the lines of a 5 - 7 day adventure, camping and the au natural. I do like the Northernly route as well. Cabrito and I touched on the High Desert of Oregon and Washington areas. We could incorporate Ukiah, Fort Bragg, Eureka, Bend and beyond.

It would be cool to have a group of 5 - 10 riders and do a big loop. Lets talk over the phone in the next few days.

Snakeboy66

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
How about tip-toeing through the tu-lips of Park City Utah. Bonneville, for some racing for pinks, It's not far I'll be fun?

MB4

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I swear I replied to this. If our financial situation is a little better, I'm down. If not, I'm working.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Too far for me to commit, but I'm all ears. If we go north, I got some local knowledge on western Washington. If its' towards Grand Canyon, I'd recommend the Mojave (may be too hot), Zion, and Bryce, there's a ton of dirt roads in the Escalante area that actually go places.

·
Registered
452 Posts
im actually heading north to Glenn canyon next month and same time your looping around the grand canyon ill be returning back from my Alaska ride .

Is something happens to my dates for the ride back home ill make sure and swing in and say hi ..

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
July Trip to Somewhere.

KMBSAR,

The reason the planning starts now is so that you can schedule your appearance and participation way way in advance. No excuses, be there, we need you!

Snakeboy66

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it will be hot as balls that time of year.
That is what I am learning. I don't really like hot balls, but I m keeping the options open. For destinations not Hot Balls.

Snakeboy66

·
Registered
901 Posts
That is what I am learning. I don't really like hot balls, but I m keeping the options open. For destinations not Hot Balls.

Snakeboy66
Not that I'm planning on attending, but consider the north rim of the Grand Canyon... Looking around to Google Earth, there are quite a few dirt roads that lead off to seldom visited areas of the north rim.

There's also a campground that I've scoped out online as a future place to hang out for a week with my wife. Link to Campground's website

And no, I'm not affiliated with the owners/operators of the campground. I've never been there - yet.

Anyway, you'd also be up around 8,000+ ft. elevation, so you won't be roasting...

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
How about playing in the Sierra's for a week, from South, to North. Little Lake, Olancha, Big Pine, Lone Pine, Bishop, Mammoth/ June Lake, Dump into Toulome Meadows, Etc... Find the service roads, and explore? Just a thought...

MB4

·
Registered
901 Posts
How about playing in the Sierra's for a week, from South, to North. Little Lake, Olancha, Big Pine, Lone Pine, Bishop, Mammoth/ June Lake, Dump into Toulome Meadows, Etc... Find the service roads, and explore? Just a thought...

MB4
Now you're absolutely KILLING me... I grew up in Big Pine - Kindergarten through graduation, and in a graduating class of 12 (only three of us were there from K - 12). So yeah, you're killing me by mentioning my old stomping grounds.

But, July is hotter than hell down in the Owens Valley... Easily 100 or higher during the day.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sure would like to go, I miss Ut
Are you thinking about taking Bug's route, 80 to Fallon. So. to Tonopah, east on the ET hiway
to hiway 93-319-56 to Cedar City, or perhaps take the Express Way to Las Vegas,
5 then 15 north?
Either way the mileage is about the same and time is not much different, maybe 2hr.
Are you thinking North Rim or South, North gets only about 10% of the total visitors.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Now you're absolutely KILLING me... I grew up in Big Pine - Kindergarten through graduation, and in a graduating class of 12 (only three of us were there from K - 12). So yeah, you're killing me by mentioning my old stomping grounds.

But, July is hotter than hell down in the Owens Valley... Easily 100 or higher during the day.
Yep, had a cabin just North of Bishop, and South of Toms place, over looking Mt. Tom, to the South, and the White mountains to the East. I miss that area!

MB4

·
Registered
901 Posts
Yep, had a cabin just North of Bishop, and South of Toms place, over looking Mt. Tom, to the South, and the White mountains to the East. I miss that area!

MB4
I love that area. Unfortunately I'll never live there again for one simple reason: It's in Kalifornika.

Too many screwed up enviro-nazis and radical nutjobs in control over there, banning all sorts of things - or making them prohibitively expensive with all the fees and such.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts