Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
July Trip to Somewhere...

Good Evening KLR650bp,

The date is set, the destination is not. I am starting to like the idea of the Northernly route. Mark B4 has some great knowledge of the Sierras. I like the idea of camping a few days and the night in a hotel. It mixes things up and we can coordinate this with a nice dinner to commemorate the trip.

Tell me of some of the great areas you were thinking of.

Snakeboy66

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Only about, ("about" was said with a Canadian accent) 2600 miles round trip. That's possible...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
If'n you're think'n of BC.....then go that little bit further and do the Cassier Highway #37 dirrectly north through BC.....the most stunning scenery and jam packed with wildlife! Just to add a few more miles to your trip.......but then again, if you go that far......it's almost crazy not to go....GOLR RUSH seeking in Dawson City.......but once there, you will be hard pressed not to do the Dempster to the top of Canada, Inuvik. Start of the IceRoad series....lol.....will it ever end? Of course coming from below the border, you'll need to cross the border on the north side and visit Alaska.....can you afford the time? You know you want to!!! Plus the best part......it sure as hell won't be hot as balls up here at tat time.....maybe 30 degrees celcius if you're lucky. Oh I nearly forgot.....june 20-21 timespan...is the D2D event in Dawson City.......last summer 300 plus adventure riders from all over the world came to one spot to enjoy the endless days.....a great time for sure! D2D is over at ADVRider in the Alaska section if you have never heard about it......It truly is a great time, I've been twice now and I live an hour north of Toronto.

So, what's it to be......Hot as Balls down south, or, pleasant temps and a new experience in The Great White North???:13:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the sierras is a great ride, we could explore allot in 5 or 6 days. Mark what do you think would it get boring, or just pass through there on the way to Crater Lake? better bring back up because we will be camping with the bears and they have been thick up there.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'd love to do Banff! Hell, let's go to Alaska too while were at it!

Seriously though, the Sierras has a ton and is an easy place to kill a week. If we do that, I would like to sneak Ebbetts Pass in the mix if possible. I loved my ride up through there a while back.

·
Registered
452 Posts
1st week of June im riding back up to Wasilla AK welcome to ride along.

·
Registered
217 Posts
little far in the future but i would be interested. i live about 6 hours from pheonix on i-10 not sure how much farther it is from there but sounds fun.
Where in New Mexico are you, Scrapper ?? I'm only about 4 hours east of Phoenix and 50 miles north of I-10 Are you the one who mentioned a friend in Glenwood ?? I'm guessing Las Cruces..........??

·
Registered
217 Posts
Someone mentioned north rim of the Grand Canyon. I made a heckuva trip there in 2011, but took my ATV. Check my web pages on that trip, starting with: http://gogittum.com/blog/?cat=139

If you click on each picture it'll open full screen. Click again to go back to reading.

From there, look at the next 9 entries on the left side of the page. There's an endless list of places to go in that area. The road thru Capitol Reef is one of the nicest rides on the continent.

...................Lar.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Merry Christmas All,

I hope that everyone is having a wonderful Christmas.

I have the basic route planned, it is an idea at this time. San Francisco to Yosemite. Yosemite to Mono Lake. Mono Lake to Norther Nevada. Norther Nevada to Southern/mid Oregon. Southern/mid Oregon to Crater lake. Crater lake to Coos Bay. Coos Bay to Crescent City, CA. Crescent City, CA to Bayside CA. Bayside, CA to Ukiah, CA. Ukiah, CA to San Francisco. This maybe overzealous but dream big, right?

I would like to ask for your opinion on a few pouts. A) Is this too many miles? B) do you have any off road areas that you know of in these proposed locations that should not be missed? C)How many of you would be interested in this?

I ask these questions because I know there is a huge amount of knowledge on this forum and I want to make this a great ride.

Snakeboy66

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Merry Christmas All,

I hope that everyone is having a wonderful Christmas.

I have the basic route planned, it is an idea at this time. San Francisco to Yosemite. Yosemite to Mono Lake. Mono Lake to Norther Nevada. Norther Nevada to Southern/mid Oregon. Southern/mid Oregon to Crater lake. Crater lake to Coos Bay. Coos Bay to Crescent City, CA. Crescent City, CA to Bayside CA. Bayside, CA to Ukiah, CA. Ukiah, CA to San Francisco. This maybe overzealous but dream big, right?

I would like to ask for your opinion on a few pouts. A) Is this too many miles? B) do you have any off road areas that you know of in these proposed locations that should not be missed? C)How many of you would be interested in this?

I ask these questions because I know there is a huge amount of knowledge on this forum and I want to make this a great ride.

Snakeboy66
No... Yes... ME...

MB4

·
Registered
272 Posts
A. What's a good trip where you don't go "should just be over the next ridge" a dozen times? Though Snakey, if you create a run with too much mileage between fuel, you will have to buy all of us IMS tanks.

B. Any dirt road that appears to point in the same direction as our destination in Nevada will prolly be a good one.

C. Interest requires want, this addiction is past the point of want, I'd call it a need.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I think it was Fred Rau who said each additional rider in a group adds 20 min. Of riding time to each day. I say never stop without peeing and never pee without stopping. I would love to join you all....only way to make it work would be to fly out to LAX or S.F.,rent a bike...fly back home. I'll have to be extra nice to my sweetie these Winter months!!!
Bike rentals out there????

Thanks!
M

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
A. What's a good trip where you don't go "should just be over the next ridge" a dozen times? Though Snakey, if you create a run with too much mileage between fuel, you will have to buy all of us IMS tanks.

B. Any dirt road that appears to point in the same direction as our destination in Nevada will prolly be a good one.

C. Interest requires want, this addiction is past the point of want, I'd call it a need.
Well, I like the response to all of those questions KMBSAR. I will count you as "IN" for this ride unless catastrophe strikes. We could use your enthusiasm and knowledge on a ride like this. I look forward to hearing your other ideas about the Tri State Iron Butt Ride. The new official tittle.

Snakeboy66

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The Tri State Iron Butt Ride July 2013

I think it was Fred Rau who said each additional rider in a group adds 20 min. Of riding time to each day. I say never stop without peeing and never pee without stopping. I would love to join you all....only way to make it work would be to fly out to LAX or S.F.,rent a bike...fly back home. I'll have to be extra nice to my sweetie these Winter months!!!

Thanks!
M
Hello Masterlink, I agree with the "20" rule of thumb as well as the stopping procedures. I wish you the best in your endeavors this winter. It would be amazing if we had riders flying in from all points for this shindig. As to the bike rentals, there are a few. I would suggests doubleju.com for dual sport worthy rides. The weekly rental is more reasonable. Let me know how I can help with logistics and other items to have you present for the Tri State Iron Butt Ride.

Snakeboy66

P.S. I'll have you picked up at SFO in style complete with out riders....

·
Registered
80 Posts

Thanks!
M
Most if my longer distance "adventures" have been in larger groups (10-12)... Someone's always farting around at a stop or not ready to roll. I had good times, don't get me wrong, but but smaller groups just seem to get their shit together better and put down more miles in a shorter time so you're not riding all day or not makig a destination. Having daily destinations seem to be a bad deal too.. An over all goal of a trip is important, but I'm all for riding until you've had enough for the day and call it a day... Some days you do more than others... But I hate feeling like I'm on some forced march to make it to some campground/town/hotel each day. A few hours before you feel like packing it in for the day, find a place to bed down for the night, get there and call it quits unless you still feel like moing on or the place just sucks. I've ended up in some miserable campgrounds ecause we rode all day, and we ended up stuck because it was late with no time to find better (search for Saltillo Landing Camp Ground in Tennessee to see an example of campground hell).

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Bryce,
Good points. I have ridden in larger groups, and smaller too. The smaller groups are usually spot on, as far as the ride. My personal goal on a ride like this, is to adventure it, as the slowest rider is willing to go. May sound wrong, but, I do not like to have someone catch up to the ride every night. With that being said... I do not want to stop every 10 miles for something. I think that collective meetings are going to prove how this ride is going to turn out, and for those who are not on the same page, as "that rider", and the rest of the group, shall be weeded out.

Just my .02

Looking forward to the ride.

MB4

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Bump!!

Anything new? Shall we plan a meeting sometime in the near future?

Happy New Year!

MB4

·
Registered
452 Posts
just coming off my first attempt at the iron butt 1000 during the winter . i did it with my buddy on his KLR .

You cant plan flat tires and bad gas and weather ,this had eaten our planned stops times big time just the 2 of us . by 700miles there was no way we could reach our goal .

the severe weather ate up our regular fuel useage and was hitting reserve at 160 miles vs our planned 250 . and to cement it we struggled with a flat .

With larger groups while alot of fun because of the diversity and skills makes it tough for timed events . if riding is the goal groups smaller than 10 is manageable .

21 - 40 of 108 Posts