Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did it again I bought another klr!! should I put a thermobob on it or leave it alone? I put one on my 09 klr but I never really got used to seeing the temp gauge needle up near the hot side of the gauge.Any thoughts? thanks!

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Belief in the efficacy of the Thermo-Bob, in terms of tangible service life extension, remains an intellectual exercise, a sort of "leap-of-faith," IMHO.

The engine and its lubricants may indeed run more efficiently at the Thermo-Bob's higher thermostat setting; the engine may benefit greatly from some protection from "thermal shock;" and components may last longer when heat-cycling is reduced. Yet, quantifying the effect of these changes remains difficult; who can say how many thousands of miles of service life extension (if any) result from a Thermo-Bob installation, or what greater mean hours between malfunctions (if any) can be expected? This data remains elusive and scarce.

The Thermo-Bob definitely stabilizes coolant temperature more thoroughly, and at a higher temperature than the stock cooling system. The service life significance of these changes remains subjective, IMHO.

So, your bike, your choice: Thermo-Bob or not. Device causes no harm, AFAIK; may offer genuine improvements in longevity and reliability.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I did a bunch of mods on my 09 that I sold. Now have a 14NE and the bob is the only mod I think I may do.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Well I did it again I bought another klr!! should I put a thermobob on it or leave it alone? I put one on my 09 klr but I never really got used to seeing the temp gauge needle up near the hot side of the gauge.Any thoughts? thanks!
650rider,
The middle of the gauge is perfection. Three quarters of gauge is a HOT day. Seven Eights of Gauge is reason to 'wonder', what is up? Full HOT is, Time to Stop and check to see if someone/ or rock, drained your coolant.

I'm a firm believer in the advantages of the Thermo-Bob and about a half a dozen other engine mods! Including the Doo-hickey and/or spring!
http://www.klrforum.com/klr-other-motorcycle-related-discussion/38962-laboratory-oil-analysis-thread.html

http://www.klrforum.com/1987-2007-wrenching-mods/26490-camshaft-oil-pressure-2hr-ride-data.html

http://www.klrforum.com/1987-2007-wrenching-mods/15458-oil-pressure-how-much-ya-got.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok than.... I am looking at picking up a 2015 New Edition (first KLR and first dirt). So what I am gathering is I buy the bike and right away I need to do several things to it before I can go out and ride it...??? I am an older rider and never in a hurry..just putting around is my style of riding. What do I really need to do to this bike after I get it home..is there a list somewhere?

Thanks in advance,

Rex

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Ok than.... I am looking at picking up a 2015 New Edition (first KLR and first dirt). So what I am gathering is I buy the bike and right away I need to do several things to it before I can go out and ride it...??? I am an older rider and never in a hurry..just putting around is my style of riding. What do I really need to do to this bike after I get it home..is there a list somewhere?

Thanks in advance,

Rex
You don't gotta do nothing, Rex. You can start thinking about the doohickey (do a search on here), but nothing pressing. Ride. :)

You'll probably lose your mind like we all do eventually, but nothing NEEDS to be done right away. Have fun with it. :35a:

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
+ 1; + 1; + 1!

Worldwide, of the more-than-25-years of KLR650 production, HOW MANY, percentage-wise, have Internet-mandatory modifications? Trick doohickeys? Thermo-Bobs? PCV Valve Mods? MC Mods?

Not that one or more might not be of sound maintenance/performance enhancement/service life extension value. Only . . . operating the machine as-is stock within the owner's manual recommendations, is possible and covered by warranty. No imminently urgent modifications necessary.

My opinion only; YMMV!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased a left over 2014.5 (NE) white, adjusted height of rear brake pedal & handle bars to my liking. Picked up KLR rear fender bag @ dealer and ordered KLR throw bags & bar bag. Total 62 miles back to house, only thing I see right now is keeping tires on this gem ��.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hope someone can explain.....

I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ with this question, but here goes...

(first a little history)

I started in 1979 on Harleys, 1998 I found out that there were other bikes out there and picked up BMWs, than I went bike crazy and tried to buy and own at least 10 of everything Harleys, Beemers, KTM950 Advs a Goldwing and now an FJR1300.

What is the reason guys will say that "my bikes always come and go, but my KLR will always be there....???" Oh by the way <----- that was the question. What is it specifically about these bikes that cause that type of loyalty.. I have yet to ride one...trying to find a dealer here in the DFW metromess that will allow a test ride. But for some reason, I am drawn to these bikes because of the loyalty that you guys exhibit... I know that they are slow, okay, I can enjoy that... but please enlighten me.. or do I have to purchase one before I learn the secret handshake..

Rexford

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Rexford,
In the autumn of 1987, I received a phone call, asking if I might participate in a phone survey, regarding my purchase of 1987 KL650-A1 that summer.
I said, "OK".
I think to this day, the survey was sponsored by Honda. They released the NX650 and NX250 in 1989.

I said repeatedly, 6 gallon fuel tank, some wind/weather protection, 10 inches of suspension, 35 inch seat, capable of fairly rough 'single-track' trails, capable of Interstate Speeds+ all day, Liquid-Cooled!

I'm still riding serial #000423, a buddy is still riding #000432. I've got 75,000+ miles, he has about 1/2 that. His has been garage kept, mine summers 'out-side'. I could park his in my showroom, and you would do a 'triple-take'!
If one was to offer either of us, "original purchase price", I'm pretty certain, we'd both turn you down!

The Honda NX series, came and went! In short order. The DR650, is an OK bike, for shorter people. The Yamaha XT series, just didn't "something"? But "DualThing's" new Yamaha XT660 in South Africa, looks like it ought to "do-something" against KLR sales! imo only.
The BMW's and KTM's are pricey and dealers few and far between. I think, Honda gave up, still can't combine the features of an XR650L and the manners of a NC700!

RIDE ON, KLR650!
Kawasaki! "Let the Good Times Roll".

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Unless price and versatility attract you, Rexford, I'd suggest . . . as in the song, "Walk On By."

Adventurizing a KTM690 might be more appropriate for you. Requirements/preferences/budget remain the drivers for machine choice, IMHO.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts

What is it specifically about these bikes that cause that type of loyalty.. I have yet to ride one...trying to find a dealer here in the DFW metromess that will allow a test ride. But for some reason, I am drawn to these bikes because of the loyalty that you guys exhibit... I know that they are slow, okay, I can enjoy that... but please enlighten me.. or do I have to purchase one before I learn the secret handshake..

Rexford
Rexford,
Why find a dealer to allow a test ride? New bike isn't broken in, shouldn't hot-rod it.
I'd trade you a ride on my KLR, if I got to Ride Your FJR, side by side. Just Ask!

I'm relatively certain that if you rode your bike, with a new acquaintance from any parking lot, both riders might agree to the others abilities in fairly short order. Then trade bikes for 5-10 miles. Or ride together all day.

Who was it said, "A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unless price and versatility attract you, Rexford, I'd suggest . . . as in the song, "Walk On By."

Adventurizing a KTM690 might be more appropriate for you. Requirements/preferences/budget remain the drivers for machine choice, IMHO.
Damocles, I would really like to understand your reasoning for me to just walk on by the KLR... All information that I can get from others will help me process my decision making in the future purchase. I have owned KTM's and am not impressed with the build quality of said machines. Too many issues for me to feel comfortable with. I left Beemers when my 2005GSA final drive went out, came back and had problems with my 2009GSA. I will not (despite the GSA being my favorite bike ever!) go back to that brand. I have finally learned that it's not the brand you ride, but the joy of riding and that includes your maint. in that equation. I just want something that is dependable, easy to work on and not alot of electronic schtuff on the bike ie: ABS. TC. TPMS....! So..... understanding my views of riding now, should I still walk away from the KLR...?

Rexford

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

(first a little history)

I started in 1979 on Harleys, 1998 I found out that there were other bikes out there and picked up BMWs, than I went bike crazy and tried to buy and own at least 10 of everything Harleys, Beemers, KTM950 Advs a Goldwing and now an FJR1300.

What is the reason guys will say that "my bikes always come and go, but my KLR will always be there....???" Oh by the way <----- that was the question. What is it specifically about these bikes that cause that type of loyalty.. I have yet to ride one...trying to find a dealer here in the DFW metromess that will allow a test ride. But for some reason, I am drawn to these bikes because of the loyalty that you guys exhibit... I know that they are slow, okay, I can enjoy that... but please enlighten me.. or do I have to purchase one before I learn the secret handshake..

Rexford
7 years ago, I was riding a 73 Honda CB450. I then moved and my commute involved crossing the Golden Gate Bridge every day. That was terrifying on the Honda (WIND!). I asked my buddy what bike he'd get if he wanted a cheap bike that he could work on himself and that was near bulletproof. He suggested the KLR or XR650. The Honda was too dirt oriented for me.

The selling points for me:
Big gas tank.
Big profile in traffic.
Can go lots of places other bikes can't.
Take a lot of abuse, not that I abuse it.
Pretty simple technology.
Long history.
AWESOME KLR COMMUNITY!

I have a bad back and my knees are pooched. Some days, I think, man, when I have money, I'll get a nice old man bike. :) But I don't know if I could let the KLR go. I like the height. I like the wide handlebars. I like the ride position. I've put a lot of work and blood into this bike. And it's been some amazing places. I've been a lot of dope places and met a lot of cool people because of my KLR.

my .02

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Damocles, I would really like to understand your reasoning for me to just walk on by the KLR...
Actually, Rexford, I think I qualified my suggestion, saying, unless you were attracted to the AFFORDABILITY, and the VERSATILITY of the KLR, you may want to, "Walk On By," to consider another machine.

The affordability ($ 5000 out-the-door new, when I bought mine) and the versatility (Interstate to off-road capability) of the KLR650 attracted me, as salient desirable characteristics.

With your considerable experience with other motorcycles, the suitability of a KLR650 for you may be a function of your EXPECTATIONS (along with, previously mentioned, I think, your requirements, preferences, and budget).

Performance-wise, for example, the KTM 690 is 100 pounds lighter than a KLR650, with about twice the horsepower. With a sharp-shifting, 6-speed transmission, with a superior suspension, and with an altitude-and-temperature compensating fuel injection system.

In some circumstances, the KLR650 may suffer from comparison with the KTM 690, and with other choices available. What are your EXPECTATIONS for the KLR650?

If the KLR650 appears suitable within your preferences, requirements, and expectations, and if you choose one: The helpful KLR650 community, including me, welcomes you! If not; best wishes and congratulations on your choice.

DISCLAIMER: Nothing against the Thermo-Bob. I only mention, the maintenance impact (if any) of the device (e.g., additional miles to major overhaul, increased reliability, etc.) data remains elusive. Otherwise, the Thermo-Bob performs as advertised: Stabilizes coolant more thoroughly and at a higher nominal operating temperature than the stock cooling system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Many, many thanks to all who've replied..!

Guys, thank you very much. I will more than likely end up with a New Edition KLR. I would have responded earlier but I'm on dial-up and only get online once or twice a day. I am retired now so cost is a factor in my bike purchases. I will keep my FJR and to it I will add the KLR. I want something that I can get out and enjoy some dirt roads comfortably and just see where the heck they go....!

I guess you could say that I am a cheap baahsturd, I mean really... dial-up? Heck I don't even have cable or dish..!

I am going to locate a used one that I can test ride and than look for the best deal for a new one (in this area).

So after I pick up the bike I will be doing a lot of searching and asking.. I will be more than happy to repay assistance with beer...or burgers.

Rexford

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Then again there's the "cool" factor.

These bikes just plain look badazz sitting still.
The look just screams middle finger.

We knock them due to moderate power and speeds, but it's a love thing anyway.
If you are happy with going 95 on the highway, and anywhere there is moderately
solid ground this too, is your bike for life. lol Not huge on power it will still pull
your shoulder sockets pretty hard in the first coupla gears, wheelies quite easily,
stops NOW (big discs), has good weather protection compared to the other dual sports
available, and rarely leave a rider stranded.

The KLR is an excellent scooter overall, but doesn't do any one thing perfect.
With highway pegs it's a cruiser, in the twisties it's a crotch rocket, on dirt roads
it disappears from public view in seconds, good hillclimbing with the heavy front end,
crosses water up to and including two feet deep, and with some luggage easily crosses
the country.

I think of it kinda like the movie "Avatar" where the locals connected to the creatures
they were riding. Ya just think and it does. It was similar to the HD's where the two
become one. The rider and motorcycle merge into a single unit. My KLR does anything
I ask of it, but I don't ask it to go bezerk either.

Oh, and they climb stairs very well. I used to ride up 6 stairs to park on the porch
of our old place. Neighbors gotta kick out of that. LOL

No pressing issues right out of the box. Just ride it. We like to tinker and upgrade
but it's a fine scooter dead stock.

Thanks for your time,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

BTW, as the king of Cheapness, we have dial up going to the wi-fi also. Click on something,
go make a sandwich, return, and the page is loaded. LOLOLOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts