Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I tried using my Hex Metric tools on the different hex bolts on bike. Wanted to take the rear tray off for electrical connections.

But Hex keys seem not to march, one is slightly larger, other is slightly smaller. This is a japanese bike, so SAE sizes do not work as well.

What am I missing ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I assume the socket head bolts (hex bolts have regular six-sided heads) on your KLR that the factory keys don't fit are replacements installed by someone after the bike was manufactured. All the socket head bolts on my gen2 KLRs (2008 and 2011) are either 6mm or 5mm and the 6mm and 5mm hex key (Allen key) that came in the factory tool kit work with them fine. The exception is the float bowl drain screw which uses a 3mm hex key which was not in either of the took kits on my KLRs.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Well, as I was cleaning off my work bench I found a bolt that looks like a pan head socket head, but on closer inspection it appears to have a star/torx shape in the hole. It is so shiny that it is hard to tell with all the reflections in the hole. Rust would help.

This bolt mics out at 5/16" and was in with some extra parts from a clamp-on highway peg I bought a long time ago. So, I still haven't seen one on a KLR650.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are several all over the 2014 bike. 2 at bottom of each front fork. Foot pegs have them too. Rear cargo trY has two small ones on its horizontal flat side. One large one on each side of bike connecting handles/side of tray to the side of bike. Those ones are all I can think of now. Will get pixes.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
There are several all over the 2014 bike. 2 at bottom of each front fork. Foot pegs have them too. Rear cargo trY has two small ones on its horizontal flat side. One large one on each side of bike connecting handles/side of tray to the side of bike. Those ones are all I can think of now. Will get pixes.
I was referring to no torx head bolts on the 2008 and 2011 KLR

The ones at the bottom of the fork tubes and on the passenger peg brackets are 6mm on my two KLRs. Are your hex keys stamped with the size.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The thing that aggravates me is that when I replace an OEM stock 8mm JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards) 12mm hex head bolt on my KLR with an 8mm ANSI (American National Standards Institute) bolt from a hardware store it has a 13mm hex head instead of the 12mm head on the Japanese bolt. This causes me to have to carry an extra socket and box end wrench.

The 14mm front axle nut and 16mm rear axle nut present the same problem, but I use an adjustable wrench in my road kit for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts