Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

2015 ADVMoto Adventure Rally, 18-20 Sept., Romney, WV

6K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  exchinarider 
#1 ·
Reckon a rally is a "group ride."

Rally website:

ADVMoto Rally Homepage

KLR650s most populous bike at 2014 event.

$ 10,000 in door prizes this year.

(Announcement cross-posted in local forums.)

#2 ·
Not much action on this thread on this forum . . . prizes approaching $ 12,000 for this year's rally, and still climbing . . . as mentioned, KLR650s were the most heavily represented motorcycles at the 2014 event, but . . . just seems like this forum's members remain disinterested in a rally.

Just wondering . . . maybe a significant segment of KLR650 ridership has little or no interest in the Internet . . . those somehow more likely to participate in a rally!

Not to proselytize, only . . . great riding routes, good food, entertainment, opportunity to win really valuable door prizes (every-other rider won something, last year), camping on the beautiful banks of the Potomac River . . . you've been "led to water," pilgrims! :)

#6 · (Edited)
"KLR gangs," LOL!

Monty Python once did a sketch about gangs of "grannies," little old ladies of a certain age, who marauded the streets of London, accosting young gentlemen in their path . . . beating the victims with purses, etc. . . . overall, spreading fear and terror throughout the city . . .

:)

#4 · (Edited)
This is only the second year for the ADVMoto Rally, so the historical record remains short. Regardless, this event, like its predecessor, is headquartered on a controlled-access private campground: No disruptions of any sort occurred, nor do they seem likely, to me.

Nearby, the Romney Cycles Camp-and-Ride has been held in May for the past four years. This free and open event, last year with I think 150-plus riders, hasn't been disrupted by any misbehavior whatsoever AFAIK (I attended the last two).

So, the event is held in, "Wild and Wonderful" West Virginia: The "wild" is in the scenery. Sturgis, it ain't. (Not that there's anything "wrong" with Sturgis, mind you! Just . . . the ADVMoto Rally is staged from a 150-site family campground on the banks of the Potomac River, not the raucous environment that men say is more-or-less available at Sturgis and other venues.)

All this said, the main attraction is the RIDING! Unbelievable roads and trails, routes well-planned and responsibly guided. Hope KLR650s win the award for the most popular motorcycle participating again this year! :)

=================

This just in: Only two spaces left for the optional basic off-road riding training session offered; better hurry if that's your pleasure. Plenty of spaces still for general participation in the Rally.

#8 ·
Oughta be! Ride on down and join us!

$ 12,000 in door prizes alone.

Here's a run-down, from a post on ADV:

Both Friday and Saturday are looking pretty packed. Here's the rough itinerary which we'll add to the site soon. More more details, hit up ADVMotoRally.com.

Friday:

Noon - Open registration, check in, get setup
17:00 - Eats - food will be available by concession starting at noon from Social BBQ (Social BBQ | Harrisonburg, Virginia)
18:00 - Slow Race (Prize 100.00 Aerostich Gift Certificate)
19:00 - Bret Tkac's presentation on his Adventure to South America
20:30 - Brad Barker and Ride of My Life Episode screening. Ride of my Life will also be the ADVMoto Rally's official videographer so come be part of the production
21:30 - Erik Stephen's Headlight Seminar and Shootout
After - Hanging out with refreshments

Saturday:

7:30 - Breakfast - All u can eat buffet by Gourmet Central in Romney, VA. See site for menu. Also CrazyFox Coffee will be there again this year. Tip well please!
8:30 - Ride Briefings
9:00 - Begin Training and Rides - Those who want to hang out in hammocks, feel free to do so!
16:00 - Get back to eat! We have an all u can eat buffet with a killer menu. See site for menu details!
5:30 - Sam Manicom gives his feature presentation on "Into Africa"
7:30 - Prize Awards Ceremony- Lots of prizes to give away. Must be present to win so please be there when your name is called.
9:30 -11:00 - Live Music by Jake and the Burtones with refreshments and bonfire. Most campsites have their own rings and wood will be available.

#9 ·
I was ready to hit "post" when I yelled to my dear wife," is there any thing going on Sept 18th that I need to be here for???
"Yes dear, the wedding in Rockhall,MD for your Goddaughter!!
Oh well,close....
BTW: I go to 3-4 Rallies a year. Never saw any violence. Except the one year when the airheads fought the oilheads.!!

#13 ·
Good on ya, awarren! You won't regret it.

Spent the weekend there, pre-riding. Expect some creative and interesting routes. Planned poker run stop: Romney Cycles, largest-volume Suzuki dealership in the USA; they sell their share of Kawasakis and Yamahas, too; largest motorsports showroom I've ever seen.

Too deep to ride, but swam across the South Branch, Potomac River, from the campground beach (might be a little chilly, in September!).

Door prize pool over $ 13,000 in value to date. Headlight shootout contest planned; prizes to best, and worst, headlight array entered. SLOW race (QtownKLR sidecar rig eligible, but must keep one wheel in the air throughout the course).

As mentioned, KLR650s were the most heavily-represented motorcycles last year; let's see which are the most popular in 2015!

ADVMoto Rally Homepage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.