Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All

Every Winter I like to purchase a bike and either restore it to its former glory or customize it to suit a very specific purpose.

Last year I turned a very hum-drum Ducati 696 into a Tri-Color street racer. The year before that I built a custom M109R drag bike. The year before that was a 1956 BMW R26.

This year I have planned a round trip on the well know Trans Labrador Highway. This 4000+ KM trip will take me from St. John's Newfoundland, through Labrador, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and back through the center of Newfoundland via the Abandoned Railway bed. I will be leaving in June of 2016. It will involve at least 2300 KM's of gravel and should be a real test for any motorcycle.

My whole idea with this build was to construct a KLR650 that could withstand the apocalypse and still go looking for more. I want to build an absolutely bullet proof bike that is as tough and simple as a bag of nails. The AK47 of motorcycles if you will.

I will post pictures as I progress on this forum. Please remember to leave your comments, thoughts or suggestions as I go. :)

Without further ado, here is the brand new 2015 KLR650 I am starting with:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
All it needs is the lighting and a machete and sawed-off shotgun holder and make sure you get rid of the ugly front fender. Zombies are attracted to the stock fender.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gun holder is being worked on. Going to use the existing Motech quick mount system and a hard Pelican case.

As for the machete, maybe not. However I might throw a trout filleting knife in there somewhere. :)

As for the stock fender, I kinda like it in an ugly sort of way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting past the 1/2 way mark. Here are the new additions:

Moose Headlight Guard:

Moose Brake Piston Guard:

Zumo 590LM hard wired for constant power with auxiliary USB plug on the dash for iPhone or other USB powered item:

Oxford Adventure Heated Grip. I mounted the controller on a SW Motech Switch Mount:

Denali Light's are wired to the high-beam switch with a separate master switch on the dash:

Rear Dry Tube for behind the Motech Bags:

SW-Motech Skid Plate:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You're making it look too nice to be a zombie bike. Needs to look more nasty IMHO.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Barkbuster Frames (painted satin black), SW- Motech Hanguards with Extensions and SW-Motech LED Integrated Turn Signals:

Double-Take Adventure Mirrors:

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
I really like that moose headlight guard!
Too many bugs in my area, in Normal riding season to run a screen headlight guard. Usually need to use the bug squeegee at every fuel stop.

And I need to ask, don't the SW Motech skid plates "terminate a little short"? And a little too close to drain plug level?

I wish ALL of the Skid Plate Manufacturers would give the drain plugs at least a 1/2 inch of protected clearance! I personally use rubber 'donut holes', hole sawed out of old tires or conveyor belting or mud flaps to space the skid plates down!

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
I wish I could buy a skid plate that covered back to the swing arm pivot and didn't have a hole for drain access.

Tom

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
Tom,
Surely you can find a decent aluminum welding shop out there!
Add a tail onto it and fill in the hole.

Personally, I'd suggest just a smaller hole! The oil filter always slobbers down the side of the engine and onto the skid plate and frame, necessitating a De-greasing after oil changing anyways!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Motech skid plate does leave the drain plug exposed to a degree but I did my first oil change tonight and swapped out to a Tusk low-profile drain plug. Easy fix for a potential issue.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts