Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this might get me banned here.....but here goes......

So......what do you guys think of the new 2016 Africa Twin? Is it expectations met or another Honda disappointment or just what the doctor ordered? Will it influence any other manufacture besides BMW or KTM?

For me, I think it's really cool! I see it very much something other then a BMW or KTM. It seems to be a bike built for practical use and not something to fire shots across the big boys bows. I don't really see it as a direct competitor to the KLR either although let's face it, it will be compared to the lot of them.

What do you guys think? Honda missed the boat or took its time and made something special?

Remember.......I'm the new guy......:63a::fiddler::stickpoke::t1204:

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
I want one.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
I'd buy one if it was a 750cc p-twin and weighted 400 pounds.

As a 500lb liter bike I think it's a bit much.

Lighter than a Ténéré, though.

Tom

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
I think it's a cool looking bike! Though for me, a liter dual sport is kind of on the overkill side... The extra juice would come in handy on the highway though!

Being a cheap bugger, I'd never be able to buy anything like that until it was old and well depreciated! Lol

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If I were to test ride one, I would ask them to lay it on its side and give me a box of sand to stand in. If couldn't pick it up by my self, it wouldn't work for me.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Might be a great bike!

Then, again, what about the 650 Versys? REALLY affordable prices on these bikes; don't know how close they come to Africa Twin performance. The Versys has road manners the KLR650 can only dream of, with some dirt-and-gravel road capability.

Then, the Versys 1000 now appears in the US. Probably heavier than the Africa Twin, but might offer more power.

DISCLAIMER: I'm NOT Kawasaki-centric. Just wondering what the Africa Twin brings to the table, beyond existing machines' offerings. I wish Honda success with Africa Twin marketing in the US; riders profit from motorcycle diversity, IMHO.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Wow. I just logged on to see if there was a place to post about the AT.

I've been watching news of this for a while. The recent price announcement ($13,000 or so) makes me think even harder about it.

But 511 pounds still causes me pause. Add some camping gear, a little food and water and it starts to get a bit hefty. I can probably lift it -- once. I've never had to lift any bike with camping gear more than once a trip anyway, so it might work OK. It's lighter than some of the competition, but the weight says "road bike". (Of course the KLR is sold with the Kawasaki street bikes, not as part of their dirt bike line.)

In the end, I'd trade much of the zoom zoom for weight reduction. Maybe something like a KLR. That's the thought I ended with yesterday and why I wanted to mention the AT on this forum.

My local dealership has often suggested that I test-ride this or that. I can easily see testing the AT. For gravel roads the AT weight shouldn't be a problem. Until it is.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ive got a buddy who is selling his '08 goldwing and crf250 to buy one. he is pretty psyched about it and i hope to bum a test ride

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
If you don't like doing/or paying for, the valve tappet inspection and adjustment on a single cylinder KLR, will you appreciate having to uncover TWO cylinder heads? And just what type of adjustment does IT have? Screw tappets, usually need to be checked more often! I suggest, 10,000 miles on a KLR after the 1st one.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Call me cheap - because I am - but I'll stick with my trusty, cheap, and purdy KLR.

Sure, the AT is pretty, I just don't want to drop the dollars to buy one. I can buy two KLRs for the price of one AT.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Can't say without riding one, but I'd echo the comments that it is a competitor for the KTM 1190, Tiger 800XC, F800GS and the other twin cylinder adventure bikes rather than the dual purpose KLR. Nice bike? probably. Better than a KTM 1190? probably not. Cheaper than a KTM/BMW/Triumph? I'd guess it will be. Direct competition to the KLR? No.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Acidman, they can call me "Cheap" too. LOL

Nice scooter but to small of a niche market for the price.
Even tho it's good me sees a sales-flop on the horizon.......

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
There are already a bunch of twin cylinder, high horsepower, 500+ lb bikes on the market. I don't see what the Africa Twin offers over a KTM 950/990/1190 other than price.

For those that want that kind of bike and are on a budget, it may be the best thing since sliced bread; it looks more "dirt worthy" than a Tiger XC or BMW F800GS.

I don't get the comparison to a KLR which is one less cylinder an around 100 lbs lighter and half the price. ...compared to my KLR's the weight difference is 140 - 150lbs...

I don't consider the Versys to have any real off pavement capability (I did do some mild offroad on mine but it sucked) so I don't think the Africa Twin and a Versys are direct competitors either.

2 cents,

Dave

·
Registered
195 Posts
That Africa Twin has generated a lot of positive buzz in this segment. Heck, it's one of the reasons I went ahead and picked up this KLR. The critics like the DCT on it as well as the handling and power. Not a big market for ADV bike in these parts, but I hope we get one at our dealership.

·
Registered
51 Posts
By the looks, I think it'll be a good bike with some interesting characteristics and to help the industry to progress. I was holding out, but then pulled the trigger on my new KLR. I am familiar with the KLR, like the price and the fact I can do much of the work myself.

Will it be better than KTM, BMW, Triumph,etc.? That remains to be seen and what you want in a bike. The transmition choices could help bring in more people. Honda dealerships are easier to find than some. kTM, BMW and Triumph dealers are all more than an hour away from me where Honda, Kawasaki, etc. Are just a few minutes. That could also influence people.

The African has a larger front wheel than the Versy, Vstrom, etc. Which will help with off road manners. I'm excited to see one, not sure if I'll buy but like to see new things. I put 30,000 miles on a Gen 1 before I had to sell to move half way across the country and now have the Gen 2. Everything always brings me back to the KLR! It's my two wheeled Jeep. :character00268:

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
...I don't consider the Versys to have any real off pavement capability (I did do some mild offroad on mine but it sucked) so I don't think the Africa Twin and a Versys are direct competitors either...
+1

The Versys 650's I've seen off road were either set up badly or had A LOT of money and time spent on them with the extreme being shoehorning a Versys motor into a KLR frame (might as well have built the bike around the motor from scratch.) As also mentioned, 17" wheels don't work well off road, the tire selection is abysmal, and Cogent won't be fixing the suspension. The only attachment opportunities for crash bars and skid plates is engine mount bolts. The plastic tank shrouds are particularly vulnerable at forward mounting points. Water crossings might not end well. The after-market is slim.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
+1

The Versys 650's I've seen off road were either set up badly or had A LOT of money and time spent on them with the extreme being shoehorning a Versys motor into a KLR frame (might as well have built the bike around the motor from scratch.) As also mentioned, 17" wheels don't work well off road, the tire selection is abysmal, and Cogent won't be fixing the suspension. The only attachment opportunities for crash bars and skid plates is engine mount bolts. The plastic tank shrouds are particularly vulnerable at forward mounting points. Water crossings might not end well. The after-market is slim.

I completely agree; I've had this discussion a dozen times, including the Versys forum where my point of view wasn't well recieved (gasp!)

Even a stock Gen2 is twice as capable offroad as a modified Versys IMO. The suspension sucks, travel is too short, exhaust is vulnerable, cast wheels are a poor choice, bike is heavy AND the 17" wheels aren't nearly as good both dynamically as well as for tire choice. Even with the stock POS rear shock, the KLR's Uni-Trak is FAR superior.

Heavily modified Versys' can be made semi-dirt capable but they still fall well short of a dual sport/dual purpose bike. In comparison, A KLR can be relatively easily (and cheaply) modified to be a fairly good offroad mount. My Gen1's weigh 350 lbs, have really good suspension with 9.1" travel front and rear, good brakes and no vulnerable bits. .....they also don't have 60hp which would be nice on the pavement, but it doesn't make up for all the rest in the dirt.

2 cents,
Dave

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Versys is not even classified as an off-road vehicle by Kawasaki anyhow. They boast long suspension travel on the Versys, but I don't understand why. My guess is marketing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts