Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a deposit down on one today but won't be able to take posession of one till end of August. I was very impressed with the bike during my awesome test ride!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I spent some time on the DCT a few weeks ago. Awesome bike. I liked it way better than I thought I would. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I picked up the Africa Twin last night. OMG, this bike is freakin awesome! Very nice torque, abs switch off for rear wheel, comfortable for me, decent wind protection if you are under 5'10' (which I am), easy to understand and navigate instrument panel, three torque settings (min torque to max torque but I still don't know what that all entails), exhaust not is sexy, etc...

When I got home, trailered due to rain, I had to make sure everybody got along OK. The Bandit and KLR were happy to have a new playmate!

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
So I picked up the Africa Twin last night. OMG, this bike is freakin awesome! Very nice torque, abs switch off for rear wheel, comfortable for me, decent wind protection if you are under 5'10' (which I am), easy to understand and navigate instrument panel, three torque settings (min torque to max torque but I still don't know what that all entails), exhaust not is sexy, etc...

When I got home, trailered due to rain, I had to make sure everybody got along OK. The Bandit and KLR were happy to have a new playmate!

Sweet! Congrats on the new ride! Looking forward to your impressions of the bike as you put some miles on her. Sharp looking to be sure!

·
Registered
195 Posts
You really think those 3 bikes are going to get along?? What happens when you close the door? You may want to put a camera in there, I mean you got 3 different.... the 'Big 3' locked in a room together, unsupervised. You're asking for it, don't say I didn't tell you, I've seen this sh!t before, man!

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Congratulations! I'm sure you'll love it. I was excited to check them out when they first came out but the weight is still too much for what I do......awaiting that elusive sub 400 lb dual sport with long travel suspension, good range and decent road manners.

Dave

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is heavier than the KLR by 70 lbs or so but to be honest when riding, cornering, standing, etc... it does not feel as heavy. It does sit lower in the seat and COG is pretty low. I really need to take both out at the same time and ride the same trails back to back trading bikes to see what feels better.

I put on 450 in two days and am liking the A.T. more with every mile!

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
It is heavier than the KLR by 70 lbs or so but to be honest when riding, cornering, standing, etc... it does not feel as heavy. It does sit lower in the seat and COG is pretty low. I really need to take both out at the same time and ride the same trails back to back trading bikes to see what feels better.

Lol, gonna have to change your sig now! :35a:

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts

it's more like 120lbs compared to my Gen1's and 100 lbs compared to a stock Gen1.....I'm not worried so much about how it feels riding but rather how it feels lifting it over a log or pulling it back up onto a trail. Not trying to knock the bike or rain on your parade; I think it's a great bike and I look forward to trying one at some point. Initially I was thinking it might be the bike to pry my KLR's out of my hands, but it's just too heavy. The seat is also a concern for me; too low and the seated-to-standing transition is too hard and the stepped seat makes it harder to slide around on the bike.....again; not a big deal for an adventure bike but not as good offroad.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
...just heard from a KLR buddy who is a very good rider. He just had the chance to ride the AT at a dualsport event and he took it on some decent B level trails; He was very impressed and thought the bike did very well despite the weight....I may have to try one yet.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
195 Posts
Honda did a good job with hiding the weight cause it doesn't feel no where near as heavy as it's spec'd.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
------------ cause it doesn't feel no where near as heavy as it's spec'd.
Until it is laying on its side, with the handlebars Down-Hill!
Which we hope we Never find ourselves in that situation! Especially 'by ourselves'!
But, we almost to man, eventually DO!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hill side DOWN !

Until it is laying on its side, with the handlebars Down-Hill!
Which we hope we Never find ourselves in that situation! Especially 'by ourselves'!
But, we almost to man, eventually DO!
Happened to me earlier this year.
Going real slow over a smooth ledge drop-off. Forgot to pull in the clutch, and it stalled, dragging the rear wheel. Rear end kicked out from under me before I could react.

Handle bars down hill. ( Had my buddy there to help. Even then it was a bitch to lift up.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts