Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for other opinions on oil..Just purchased klr last week New and was wondering if I should do my first oil change with conventional 10w-40 or switch to synthetic....what does the rest of you think Thanks Bill.......

·
Registered
109 Posts
I used Modil1 synthetic for the first change, I use it in all my bikes. BMW motorcycle come from the factory with synthetic as do most high performance cars.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
I used Modil1 synthetic for the first change, I use it in all my bikes. BMW motorcycle come from the factory with synthetic as do most high performance cars.
roadrash83, GrrrREAT!
I've been looking for a candidate which might be willing to participate in this thread,

http://www.klrforum.com/klr-other-motorcycle-related-discussion/38962-laboratory-oil-analysis-thread.html

who uses Mobil 1 (which Mobil 1, exactly?) and will ride 3000 or 5000 miles to compare apples to apples.
How many miles are currently on your bike?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi pdwestman
I now have 1300mi on it now. I just changed it at 1000mi with Mobil1 10w-40 motorcycle oil and a new Kawasaki filter. Let me know what you want to do.

Rick

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Hi pdwestman
I now have 1300mi on it now. I just changed it at 1000mi with Mobil1 10w-40 motorcycle oil and a new Kawasaki filter. Let me know what you want to do.

Rick
Hi Rick,
Great to read that you may be interested in participating. All you need to do is Ride your bike at least another 2700 miles before changing its oil again and submitting your sample to Blackstone Labs.
Ride it your way, hard, soft or anyway in between. Check engine oil and add as needed, if needed.

Paul

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Rick,
Great to read that you may be interested in participating. All you need to do is Ride your bike at least another 2700 miles before changing its oil again and submitting your sample to Blackstone Labs.
Ride it your way, hard, soft or anyway in between. Check engine oil and add as needed, if needed.

Paul
Paul his sounds like a challenge, I'm up for it!. Do you know. how makes Kawasaki oil for them. I know BMW Syn oil was made by Castrol and now it's made by Shell.

Rick

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Paul his sounds like a challenge, I'm up for it!. Do you know. how makes Kawasaki oil for them. I know BMW Syn oil was made by Castrol and now it's made by Shell.

Rick
Yes I believe that it will be a challenge, for any JASO MA, MA1 or MA2 approved oil to achieve or surpass the minimal ppm of wear metals per 1000 miles traveled that my chosen oil (Kawasaki petroleum 10W40) has posted in 3 consecutive reports.

Kawasaki hasn't printed a "Manufactured by --------" on their oil bottles for several years.
But I did see a 'Discovery Channel' presentation on TV a couple of years ago. In which Silver & Black bottles of the Kawasaki Semi-Synthetic 10W40 were coming off a bottling machine in a plant located in Bradford PA.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes I believe that it will be a challenge, for any JASO MA, MA1 or MA2 approved oil to achieve or surpass the minimal ppm of wear metals per 1000 miles traveled that my chosen oil (Kawasaki petroleum 10W40) has posted in 3 consecutive reports.

Kawasaki hasn't printed a "Manufactured by --------" on their oil bottles for several years.
But I did see a 'Discovery Channel' presentation on TV a couple of years ago. In which Silver & Black bottles of the Kawasaki Semi-Synthetic 10W40 were coming off a bottling machine in a plant located in Bradford PA.
Maybe at the same plant that makes Zippo lighter fluid:grin2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts