Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 2013. Based on my experience, I'd check the bolts.

With all that I added to my bike in the first month or so, the only two bolts I didn't touch were the two rear subframe bolts. I lost the right side bolt sometime in the first 500 miles. Fortunately I had already put on my rear rack system, so the bike held together well enough without the bolt to get home. When I replaced the bolt, I also checked the left side bolt and it was a lot looser than I expected it would be. I put loctite on both bolts and torqued to spec and haven't had an issue over the last 17,000 miles.

I check all the bolts regularly now and haven't noticed any loosening since I applied loctite.

Just my experience.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Bolts

It's a good time to get familiar with the bike, and make sure you have everything in your tool kit to work on the bike on the road if need be.

My OEM kit had ..maybe... 3 or 4 wrenches that actually fit anything on the bike. I put a kit together that fits everything I could think of. It all fit in a Harley type handlebar bag.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Nuts, bolts and screw checking/Tightening is the Most Over-looked Important Item of the 500-600 mile Break-in Maintenance! IMHO.

The oil and filter change is the Last Thing on my list!

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Ditto on Paul's comments.

Further to that; year doesn't matter; a 2016 KLR is a slightly upgraded 1987 KLR! Opinions on loctite are diverse and varied; I use it on some fasteners but no engine parts, etc. where never-seize and a good torque wrench are your friends.

2 cents,
Dave

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have to second the blue Loctite on the lower subframe bolts. They came loose on both of my gen2 KLRs.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Loose bolts

Don't overlook your exhaust header nuts. I did all my hardware, when I bought my bike, except the header nuts. (Didn't even think about the header.)
My bike began pop'g under decel. Traced it to loose , and missing nut on the header. Had to replace the gasket, and both nuts.
Remember to torque to proper torque. (15 ft lb's), and check every so often.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Don't overlook your exhaust header nuts. I did all my hardware, when I bought my bike, except the header nuts. (Didn't even think about the header.)
My bike began pop'g under decel. Traced it to loose , and missing nut on the header. Had to replace the gasket, and both nuts.
Remember to torque to proper torque. (15 ft lb's), and check every so often.
That is interesting. I am in the habit of using never-seez on exhaust threads and have not had a problem on my KLRs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts