Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
As the title states, im on a 2017 KLR650. I got the bike with about 750 miles, and through about 1k miles of riding I noticed that it was getting pretty low MPG. This was with no mods that would affect mileage, and I would typically get around 160 miles range with the oem 6 gal tank. I now have an IMS 10 gal tank and a Lectron Carb, and though I haven't truly annotated enough data to really pin down some MPG numbers, it is appearing that the bike is still guzzling an unusual amount of gas. I dont ride crazy and I have put a fair amount of highway miles on it cruising around 5-5.5k rpms. When I had the lectron installed, I made it known to have the air/fuel tuned a tad bit on the leaner side because I already had a bad experience with the bad mpg on the stock gear. Also, the idle is about 1500 +/- 200 depending on if its warmed up. Any advice on how to get to where it should be at? Which I think is easily 45 mpg and could reasonably be 50.
I would reinstall the OEM carb and check mileage and go from there

·
Registered
193 Posts
Assuming that the mods were done correctly. I just rebuilt a set of "rebuilt" carbs where the needle was placed above the retainer on one leaving the needle at full throttle position, yet placed correctly on the other. If the guy that did the rebuild, the owner, would have torn the carbs back down....he kicked his own ass.

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Assuming that the mods were done correctly. I just rebuilt a set of "rebuilt" carbs where the needle was placed above the retainer on one leaving the needle at full throttle position, yet placed correctly on the other. If the guy that did the rebuild, the owner, would have torn the carbs back down....he kicked his own ass.

My son is not a bad amature wrench most of the time but I had him help me with one of the KLR carbs and we couldn't get it going......took it apart to find the main jet missing....LOL

Dave

21 - 23 of 23 Posts