Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this caught my eye. Anyone that's been riding, has seen or ridden a Honda Rebel. Honestly I never thought the bike would get updated. I kinda see a little of the Yamaha bolt. But is it just me or does that gas tank just not do it. And what the heck is that gap between the frame and the tank. It just irks me. https://powersports.honda.com/rebel.aspx#6AFTTMSOYGmx7JOX.97

·
Threadjacker
6,756 Posts
First street bike I ever rode was a Rebel. I kind of like the old style. YMMV Maybe it's nostalgia.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The good news is that if you buy one, you sell it long before you get a good look at it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
OMG!! That things is freakin' hideous! It does seem to have a bit similarity to the Bolt (which is considerably more attractive IMO, not that it's a beauty queen either, but considerably more appealing). It reminds me of the Honda's of the late 60's and early 70's where it looked like Honda just bolted a gas can with lipstick to the top of the frame. Kawi and Yamaha of that era seemed to put a little more thought into the tanks and at least created some flowing type designs. Uuugggh! I think I'm going to puke!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've wondered over the years, what happen to Honda as a whole, and what direction are they trying to take. For years I've been a huge fan of Honda. They were always on top, in every category it seemed. Always ahead of everybody else, or at least in my mind. Then about ten years ago or so, I bought a VFR800. One of the worst bikes I've ever owned. It ran hot, tall gearing, horrible v-tech, heavy, mushy abs/linked braking, etc. Around that time, it seemed all there innovation was going into automatic transmissions and motorcycles that resembled scooters. And the models that followed, well......It left me scratching my head. We've seen bikes like the DN-01, CTX1300, VFR1200, fury, Valkyrie (Not the beautiful one of long ago, but a tron looking thing) as we lose bikes over the years that built up Honda, like the Shadow, Magna, ST1100/1300, VFR750(Yeah the gear driven cam one without the V-tech). Even the CBR line seems to fall second fiddle to the competitors these days. I don't understand why they didn't reinvent the already popular lineup. Picture a Honda Magna with the 1100 engine and an inverted front end and a rear monoshock. It just seems their concentrated on an updated version of the PC800 with an automatic $8,000 dollar transmission. It's wierd, years ago I landed an old 85' shadow 1100, with a hydraulic clutch, dual front brakes, center stand, and globs of power. I later had an 06' vtx1300 that didn't have any of that. I don't know, maybe its me.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't think it's you. I too feel they've taken a different track over the years. In years past, I've always felt they may have made some of the most reliable and mechanically sound machines on the market. Over the last few years, I don't know. I'm sure the reliability and all is still there, but they seem to be trying to re-invent bikes and I have no idea why. Fifteen years ago I had a Nighthawk 750 that I thought was absolutely great at the time. Although it wasn't my first choice, it was stylish for the time, comfortable and that in-line 4 was absolutely bullet proof. I had gotten a positively stellar deal on the bike and really enjoyed it for 3-4 years before selling it. It was sooooo much different than the early Honda's I had grown up with. I still think their dirt bikes are good, but I'm a little older (and I'd like to think maybe smarter) to really push one hard to find out. But, I think you're right. They're changing and right now I'm not so sure it's for the better. Having said that, they may see things that the new up and coming riders want in their bikes and are reacting to it. IMO, Honda has a long history of being out front when it comes to marketing. If we see the others starting to follow suit then I am going to guess they are marketing to a younger generation with different ideas about what they want in their bikes. It's interesting to think about regardless.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts