Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did numerous searches...
Been doing some parts swapping. I have a 2018 KLR. I wanted a FMF Q4 and a spare, "jetted" CVK.

In all my excitement, I got a NICE CVK. I cleaned it all up, got an All Balls Racing carb rebuild kit and an Eagle Mike KLX Jet kit, and 42 pilot.
Got it all together and realized... Carb is the previous with a single "Air Vent Hose" atop the carb, engine side, NOT the 2018's 2 Air Vent Hose T" setup.

Anyone just put a short section of hose on with a plastic "T" plumbed in to connect the 2 lines of the 2018 to the "Previous Year" carb???

In my mind, airflow would be the same.
Anyone want to chime in?

Thank you!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Do you perhaps mean the vacuum connection?

If so, I plugged the vacuum connection on my '12 model carburetor. The vacuum connection on my bike was required to open the petcock, so I merely installed a manual petcock. Hence I no longer need a vacuum connection.

Jason

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
the Gen2 carb has two vacuum ports; one for the petcock and the other goes to the AIS IIRC. I think a tee would work, but it's probably just as well to remove the AIS (EM kit)

Dave

·
Registered
374 Posts
the Gen2 carb has two vacuum ports; one for the petcock and the other goes to the AIS IIRC. I think a tee would work, but it's probably just as well to remove the AIS (EM kit)

Dave
Actually, my Gen II, '12 model had only one vacuum port and a T that split to the petcock and the AIS (I forgot about the AIS). Anyway, no AIS and no vacuum petcock on my bike, so I plugged the brass vacuum nipple with a glob of solder.

Jason

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vacuum port. See I thought that to...

I looked back and forth through the 2008-2018 Service Manual Section 3 only found mention of it on 3-20 Disconnect the air vent hose from the fitting.
Now I see it on 17-26, 27. Vaccuum Fitting.
Norton 850- Not going to a gravity petcock just yet, so that's needed. But Thanks.
DPelletier - been thinking about Air Injection Elimination. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Actually, my Gen II, '12 model had only one vacuum port and a T that split to the petcock and the AIS (I forgot about the AIS). Anyway, no AIS and no vacuum petcock on my bike, so I plugged the brass vacuum nipple with a glob of solder.

Jason
Hmm; the 2015 I worked on last weekend had two right on the carb. I'm sure there was a change somewhere along the way

Dave

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hmm; the 2015 I worked on last weekend had two right on the carb. I'm sure there was a change somewhere along the way

Dave
Dang Dave, you're right; my apologies!

My '12 carburetor does have two brass nipples for vacuum. There's only one vacuum port in the carburetor body but the brass nipple that's installed in that port is actually a "T" to allow the connection of two hoses: one to the petcock and the other to the AIS.

At any rate, I soldered both branches of the T several years ago instead of installing the perishable rubber caps.

Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts