Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It takes me several tries to get my KLR started in early cold mornings. I've already swapped out the spark plug, which helped a bit but I'd like to get to the bottom of it. My worry is when I'm camping and have to start it, I don't run the battery dry.

What other steps should I be doing to troubleshoot it? I'm a complete n00b so please spoonfeed me.

Completely unrelated, but pic of my trusty pig playing in the mud yesterday to hopefully get some attention. And yes, she took a dirt nap in that puddle.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
910 Posts
And make sure you are using the “choke” correctly. Set it, then crank. Do not roll the throttle as you start it. The “choke” on CV carbs actually is an enrichment circuit, so it works differently.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check valve clearances. At 10000km it is overdue.
Mine has 13k on it now. I'm dreading that job since it involves removing the gas tank, which is a pain in the ass to install back. I guess I'll muster up the courage to do it

·
Premium Member
8,039 Posts
If you are dreading fuel tank removal & replacement, my I suggest that you should have an actual Professional Mechanic perform the complete job? Confirm that the professional mechanic will re-shim to the UPPER end of specs!!
And will Include measuring the WOT cold cranking compression both Before & After any valve tappet re-adjustments?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are dreading fuel tank removal & replacement, my I suggest that you should have an actual Professional Mechanic perform the complete job?
hahahaa, no way. I'm a cheapskate, I'll suck it up and do it myself

·
Registered
38 Posts
The 2008 year suffered from low compression, resulting in hard cold start. They fixed it by grinding the KACR. Your 2018 should be OK but if you can't find the problem you should measure the compression.

An idle speed set too high can cause hard start. Out of spec valves can too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts