Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched a video on YouTube in which a dude from Australia put a non-oem 12v socket on his bike. He forgot to list the parts. So here they are.... I did dual USB. Parts I got were at O'Reilly's.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive tire
Audio equipment Bumper Hood Automotive tire Computer hardware
Hood Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fluid

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't over emphasize how careful a guy needs to be when taking off side panels. They are extremely weak and the brackets are not supported very well.

Someone please make some tall crash bars lol!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
We must watch the same YouTube channel. Thanks for posting the part info. I was trying to figure that one out.

-Scott

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Adventure
30 Posts
That looks outstanding!

·
Administrator
3,939 Posts
I have one of those USB outlets on my bike but it has a voltmeter in the centre. Super handy.

·
Registered
2022 KLR 650, 2018 Goldwing, 2015 Vstrom 650
12 Posts
I have the same setup with a Carquest relay. Part # RRA1731 cross references to 25-0395.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I have the same setup with a Carquest relay. Part # RRA1731 cross references to 25-0395.
One thing to take note of is there are several relays that will work in that socket that do not have the same 35 amp capacity as what is specified. People running one accessory will not notice a difference but folks running multiple accessories would benefit my sticking with a relay that has the intended capacity. I could not find an amperage rating for that Carquest relay you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
One thing to take note of is there are several relays that will work in that socket that do not have the same 35 amp capacity as what is specified. People running one accessory will not notice a difference but folks running multiple accessories would benefit my sticking with a relay that has the intended capacity. I could not find an amperage rating for that Carquest relay you mentioned.
That might be true.
But I will suggest that if one is using more than 10-15 amps of additional current load for than 30 minutes at trail speeds or even highway speeds, they will probably be over-taxing even the newer higher output alternator more than intended, which Will Shorten its Life.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
That might be true.
But I will suggest that if one is using more than 10-15 amps of additional current load for than 30 minutes at trail speeds or even highway speeds, they will probably be over-taxing even the newer higher output alternator more than intended, which Will Shorten its Life.
For sure. I just wouldn't want to use a relay of an unknown rating. I've seen them as low as 15 amp I believe and some may be lower.

·
Registered
2022 KLR 650, 2018 Goldwing, 2015 Vstrom 650
12 Posts
The relay from Carquest is rated for 25 amps. The accessory fuse under the seat is 15 amps from the factory. I changed it to a 7.5 amp. I have the power port connected to the factory wires on the right side and Oxford heated grips connect to the left side with zero problems to date.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
The relay from Carquest is rated for 25 amps. The accessory fuse under the seat is 15 amps from the factory. I changed it to a 7.5 amp. I have the power port connected to the factory wires on the right side and Oxford heated grips connect to the left side with zero problems to date.
Good deal. That relay should serve you well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts