Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy
So I’m looking at getting a 2022 and trying to figure out if an Adventure is worth the extra $, for me.
Fog lights, DC & USB ports, camo graphics, frame sliders and luggage is all I see as added features. In Canada the ABS is $7800, Adventure is $10k. TBH that seems like a bit too much for that. I think I’d rather a bit larger luggage cases, and some sturdier crash bars over those sliders. Well I’d prefer to have both actually even though those sliders look pretty thin.
I could wrap the tank and plastic myself, add the luggage Id prefer along with guard bars.

Anyways I’m interested in what others think about it. One consideration is that putting on my own extras can be done whenever. I mean the $2200 extra is 28% of the cost of a base ABS. I know aftermarket extras aren’t cheap, but I’m certain I could get all that done for $2200.

thoughts?

·
Administrator
9,220 Posts
All of the factory luggage (at least on this sort of bike) that I have ever seen was quite inferior to the aftermarket. Specifically, weak construction, flimsy materials, poor locks, overall poor survivability given that they are going to at least topple over, and high cost. Pretty much the same opinion of factory impact protection.

As to the additional lighting on the Adventure, it doesn't look too bad. I wonder, though, is it a nod to fashion, is it an admission that the headlight isn't up to par, or is it really good stuff? Again, the aftermarket probably offers better stuff. Of course, I have never ridden a 2022 at all, much less at night, so take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
165 Posts
As said before by fellow members, I do not consider factory extras "good quality"

Those items are designed to look good.

In cars some accessories are good choices if taken into consideration the cost of adding those accessories privately. Zenon lights, ABS brakes, bigger motor.

In some cases the sports package that I remember in some cars included frivolous things like sports stripes, colored seats , special edition emblem ... garbage if you were to ask me, not worth it. Some suspensión packages in cars are garbage as well, for the price of the manufacturer's suspensión I could add the best anti away bars, Ohlins parts and a real sports suspensión. That is why you need evaluate. You are doing the right thing.

In case of the KLR, the options do not include any of that, I mean substantial options.

I see you are not offered a bigger engine, you are not offered a crash bar kit that "only the manufacturer could provide"

In fact the crash bar I see on the new KLR looks cute, but I think it is useless.

No protection at all, except provide a place where to mount those lamps.

For sure any aftermarket crash bar system will surpass the "looking good" factory one.

Same with the luggage compartments / panniers.

I see no justification due to the quality of the parts offered versus the quality and selection you will find in the aftermarket industry.

Good to have the option because there is always the kind of rider that can not twist a wrench and to those guys these options are what they look for.

Had they offered a real off road suspension package, or a 900cc option, or a real crash bar option, perhaps bigger wheel/tire options ... real game changers ... then I'd think about it.

I got myself offroad lamps, and I did not pay thousands for it, I do not know if all new KLRs come fit with those extra lamps as seen in pictures , or if that is an extra, if those were stock on all KLRs, nice, but if there is a price, I'd rather get a 100% better crash bar kit and 100% better lamps on my own

·
Administrator
9,220 Posts
I would pay extra for the ABS, though. I don't think I'd get a new KLR without it. It would be quite simple to design and build a small sub-harness that would plug into the ABS fuse and provide both a fuse and a switch to disable the ABS.

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
165 Posts
ABS is a good option. 👍

What would be the price of a stock KLR versus the ABS KLR ?

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,408 Posts
Thumbs up on ABS, but like you, I would question the value of the extras on the Adventure model. When SW Motech, Happy Trails, and the other top aftermarket suppliers get involved, you can be sure those crash bars and panniers will be more robust than the factory pieces appear. Someone else with a 2022 said the headlight was really good. If so, you don’t need auxiliary lights.

·
Administrator
9,220 Posts
ABS is a good option. 👍

What would be the price of a stock KLR versus the ABS KLR ?
It looks like $6700 vs $7000. Seems reasonable.

Reactions: jaimesix

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
165 Posts
(((It looks like $6700 vs $7000. Seems reasonable.))))

Definitely worth the extra price for the ABS

👍👍

·
Premium Member
8,968 Posts
Someone else with a 2022 said the headlight was really good. If so, you don’t need auxiliary lights.
The headlights on the TWO Previous generations of KLR650's were pretty good also, IF They were properly adjusted for vertical drop with rider & cargo on-board! From the factory they were always TOO High even with a light rider!

It was / is supposed to be part the PDI.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Someone else with a 2022 said the headlight was really good. If so, you don’t need auxiliary lights.
I disagree on the headlight. The stock LED doesn't have enough output for my liking, but overall output is just perfect with the auxiliary lights.

I debated long and hard between the base vs. adventure model. I ended up going with the adv model as there is only a $1k premium in the US. I'm sure you can save money by going with 3rd party accessories once they start coming out, but that assumes zero labor cost via DIY. I can handle anything that's bolt on, but I don't touch electrical. The labor rates / job rates I've been quoted for super basic work is surprisingly high. At least in So Cal there seems to be a big shortage of motorcycle mechanics and the good shops can charge premium labor rates.

I agree that the included side luggage is sub par (both quality and size), but the foglights, usb + 12 volt ports, camo paint scheme and frame sliders are still worth $1k to me. I also read somewhere that the traveler and adventure models have different rear springs vs. the base model (not sure if this has been confirmed) to allow for greater payload.

Good luck and I'm sure you will be happy with whatever model you choose.

·
Premium Member
8,968 Posts
I disagree on the headlight. The stock LED doesn't have enough output for my liking, but overall output is just perfect with the auxiliary lights.
I'll bet that your 2022 bikes Headlight is aiming UP(with rider on-board), rather than the highbeam bright spot having a 2 inch drop when backed away 25 feet from a vertical wall on a level parking lot.
Therefore the light is spread Too Far down the road, rather than ON the Road.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll bet that your 2022 bikes Headlight is aiming UP(with rider on-board), rather than the highbeam bright spot having a 2 inch drop when backed away 25 feet from a vertical wall on a level parking lot.
Therefore the light is spread Too Far down the road, rather than ON the Road.
Thanks for pointing this out.I really appreciate it. I'll try adjusting this weekend. I can't believe dealers don't help out with these types of things.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it was $1k I would have done it for sure. I wouldn’t be too intimidated by a bikes electrical system, yet if your not comfortable, nuff said. My boat would give you nightmares, lol. 4 deep cycles, 1 crank, all weaved together in a 12 & 24v custom network along with shielded data lines.
I actually helped some guy properly wire his travel trailers batteries, after it melted the insulation on a cable, hard shorted, and could have very easily burnt the thing to the ground. His kids sleep right above his home-made wooden battery box, in a $50k trailer, smh. I learned that battery posts are made of lead, because in a situation like he had, the lead melts and give it a chance at breaking the connection. Facts you never want to learn really, lol. It looked like someone tried to arc weld his battery post.
Anyways, I was hoping to add some kind of LED lights to mine. A ton of black angus standing broadside on a gravel road, that nearly killed me convinced me it was time to put one on my pickup. Ever since “headlights” seem like oil lanterns in comparison.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I also read somewhere that the traveler and adventure models have different rear springs vs. the base model (not sure if this has been confirmed) to allow for greater payload.
Maybe that was for a different Gen? I’ve read till my eyes bled and had 3 Kawasaki sales guys try to work me up to one today, and never heard anything about suspension. All I’ve read is that adjustment of the spring helps with greater payload.
I can’t imagine a different suspension being lost in the fine print. A passenger is without a doubt the biggest ‘payload’ factor, and for both to have seating for both, yet different suspension would sound suspicious to me. Either flawed design, or greatly exaggerated marketing like 5 lbs difference.

IMO the biggest difference between them is appearance. The Adventure looks so much better, mainly from the dark-camo. Yet I’ve seen some wicked custom wraps on them, that swayed me towards that. I have a vinyl cutter/ plotter which I got when I re-painted my boat.You can get one on Amazon for $300, Oracle vinyl for $10 for 12”x6’ and your in business. Literally in some instances (businesses). The designs are where you get to play, and the actual wrapping takes some practice, yet you could even take it to some guy who does tint & wraps out of his garage and just pay him to wrap it if you can’t or don’t want to.
I’m one of those guys who has to do it myself, and my own way, but I’d give myself a good pat on the back if I designed the Adventure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I changed my mind. I’m getting an Adventure. It’s around $1300 difference and if you were to buy the extra parts it would be more than that.
Yet it was the looks that sold me tbh. They don’t even look like the same bike, and imo the green and orange are a bit fugly. I was planning on wrapping it, but that’s never as good as factory.
Plus buying guards isn’t going to be easy for awhile. There’s not much available and nothing in stock. That’s presuming I’ll get one in time to ride it at all. There’s almost always snow around Halloween, and well below 0°C, here.
Id rather regret spending more, than regretting the buy. Plus it’s only money, lol. And I figure if the day ever comes I want to sell it, it’ll fetch more anyways.

Anyone know somebody in the cargo shipping industry that can make things happen? lol

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
165 Posts
Good

If $ is no issue great to have the good looks and extra lamps

These bikes are like Jeeps in the sense there is no limit to what you can add to it. Later on you will find out what you want or need to add

👍👍

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good

If $ is no issue great to have the good looks and extra lamps

These bikes are like Jeeps in the sense there is no limit to what you can add to it. Later on you will find out what you want or need to add

👍👍
I agree the side rails look weak, but there infinitely better than nothing. Same with the bars, luggage, and lights. There’s no alternative right now. Maybe by the time I’ll need them, something aftermarket will be available. Yet maybe my fairing will be smashed by then. That’s my logic. And it’s possible I can sell the stock stuff I replace. If you price it all out, it’s about the same as the higher price.
Lights $399 + $20 relay
Side cases $430 + $20 for brackets
USB socket $99
Over a grand there, plus shipping and your time to install. And I’d still have a lime green fairing, lol.

“Like Jeeps”, but without the yuppie, hipster thing right?;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would pay extra for the ABS, though. I don't think I'd get a new KLR without it. It would be quite simple to design and build a small sub-harness that would plug into the ABS fuse and provide both a fuse and a switch to disable the ABS.
I would be cautious of modifying an ABS system. In theory there’s not much to adding a switch, yet there is a possibility that it could cause an issue.
And I guarantee you an insurance company would use it against you if they learned of it. You could go from compensated victim, to liable.
IMO if you want / need lockable brakes, your riding the wrong bike.

·
Administrator
9,220 Posts
Thanks for your concern. I assure you, it's misplaced.

I take it that you haven't much experience riding a motorcycle with ABS in off-road conditions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts