Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do these units come preset with certain mods in mind, like air filter and exhaust?
Or do you hook them up to a laptop and download a new map for the bike off a list that has one that matches what you have done or what you want to do?

I've installed controllers on a couple machines in the past, but it's been so long I'm sure things have changed.

I didn't see anything on the page that indicated whether this ran automatically or needed set up... Under additional information is just listed weight... maybe I was supposed to plug in my bike info.
As I understand it, the module comes pre-tuned for what they have found to work best with a free flowing exhaust and more open intake, according to their dyno results. Adjustments are made directly on their controller (which stays mounted on the bike) via up and down arrows. I am going to run their installed program for a while to see how I like it, but it seems pretty easy to change if needed. I will probably mount the controller under the seat once I am confident in the settings.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I received my package from JDJetting today, he mailed it on Tuesday so it came pretty quick. The installation is very straight forward and the instructions are clear with photos. Basically remove the fuel tank, install a ground wire to an existing bolt, unplug the connector to the fuel injector and plug the new plugs from the tuner to each side of the factory connectors. There is no mod to the O2 sensor. He recommended mounting the control module with supplied Velcro to the fairing just right of the handlebars, which I did.

There are several recommended settings depending on what mods you have done to your bike. It comes pre- set for “off road” which is what you would start with on an otherwise stock bike. He has richer settings if you modify the air box, and richer still if you have an aftermarket exhaust with airbox mods. I have a LeoVince exhaust and have removed the air box snorkel (as well as the air box door) so I set mine to those recommended numbers.

Font Calendar Office equipment Games Recreation

I only had time to take a 20 minute test ride after getting everything buttoned up, but I can say I am very pleased. When I changed the exhaust and pulled the snorkel I really couldn’t tell any difference other than the bike being louder and popping more on deceleration. Eliminating the secondary air pump helped somewhat with the popping, but again no real noticeable difference in performance.

This actually makes a difference I can feel, it especially seems much snappier in the midrange. It is kind of cool to see the lights flashing on the controller as you move through different throttle ranges. I am going to take a three or four hour ride through the twisties tomorrow and run it through it‘s paces, but so far it looks like a big win. It doesn’t feel like a different bike, but a better version of itself.

BTW, I have found it better to remove the tank if I disconnect the fuel line from the top of the injector instead of from the bottom of the tank. It is much easier to reach without putting stress on the quick connect fittings, and those are the same at both ends of the fuel hose. I also don’t find it necessary to remove the side cowlings (which is kind of a pain with the Adventure model lights and my T-Rex crashbars), I just remove the through bolt that fastens them to the gas tank.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a great ride today and really enjoyed the JDJetting tuner. At some point I will toggle the recommended settings back and forth to stock settings so I can feel the same road back to back, stock vs. tuned. Right now it is more fun to just enjoy it!

I did several forest service roads today, which in my area (Pisgah Forest in NC) are washed out gravel with a lot of elevation changes and switchbacks. It felt like I had more grunt in second gear going around corners, whereas I used to drop into first more. On 276 and 215-which are twisty roads (lots of switchbacks) that access the Blue Ridge Parkway- I felt like I had more power and did not seem to downshift as much I usually do. I ran about 20 miles or so on the BRP which is mostly tame sweepers, and again felt like I didn’t shift as much as I have in the past. I didn’t try for top end speed, as I try to avoid interstates and both me and the bike are happier below 70.

I do think I am going to put the cover back on the airbox as the bike is noticeable louder to me, a little obnoxious, and I have the snorkel pulled anyway. I may also back off on the full open throttle tunes and see if I notice a difference. JD suggested 3 or 4 (3 being stock) and I naturally went with 4, ‘cause more is always better. The midrange is where I usually live, and that is where I am seeing the biggest gains, anyway.

It‘s going to take some time to fully understand the benefits of this gizmo. I need to see how fuel consumption is affected, and really try to get the butt dyno out of the picture by doing back to back runs, stock vs. tuned. So far, me likey!👍🏻

1 - 5 of 5 Posts