Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
979 Posts
I'm in CA so no Power Commander for me.
Im sure there’s a willing klr member outside of CA who could get you one very easily.
I would, but I’m stuck in liberal Commiefornia just like you! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: OCL and ZZnoTop

·
Registered
448 Posts
Im sure there’s a willing klr member outside of CA who could get you one very easily.
I would, but I’m stuck in liberal Commiefornia just like you! :ROFLMAO:
Yes there is someone who offered to and I might just take him up on it. I was about to do it too, until I bypassed the clutch switch. Then I found Nirvana. At least for now. It was primarily the abrupt throttle/extreme engine braking that I wanted to cure with the Power Commander, and that's been cured and the bike is running like a champ. Awesome sound, some additional power (not as much as with a PC), no backfiring, 48 mpg average, so it's tough to justify the $400 for a PC at this point in time.

You're happy too with your Post-clutch Switch bypass, right?

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
979 Posts
You bet, it’s been an awesome mod!
I was planning on purchasing the clutch switch bypass from Kawi Brad when his o2 sensor delete becomes available again.
After viewing your post, I got impatient and decided to do the mod without his bypass plug. Working well so far (y)

Reactions: OCL

·
Registered
448 Posts
After viewing your post, I got impatient and decided to do the mod without his bypass plug. Working well so far (y)
There were a few hold outs on FB page. Some have come around. There is a handful who insist there is nothing wrong with the fueling program and it's all about rider skill to smooth it out. :LOL:

I think every 3-4 posts on there have been: I tried the clutch switch bypass and oh..what a difference!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes there is someone who offered to and I might just take him up on it. I was about to do it too, until I bypassed the clutch switch. Then I found Nirvana. At least for now. It was primarily the abrupt throttle/extreme engine braking that I wanted to cure with the Power Commander, and that's been cured and the bike is running like a champ. Awesome sound, some additional power (not as much as with a PC), no backfiring, 48 mpg average, so it's tough to justify the $400 for a PC at this point in time.

You're happy too with your Post-clutch Switch bypass, right?
How exactly do you bypass the clutch switch? Or you were saying the PCV can cure that annoying abrupt throttle braking BS. You wouldn't by chance know how to cure that issue using the PCV would you? Thanks, Scott!

·
Registered
448 Posts
How exactly do you bypass the clutch switch? Or you were saying the PCV can cure that annoying abrupt throttle braking BS. You wouldn't by chance know how to cure that issue using the PCV would you? Thanks, Scott!
If all you want to do is cure the abrupt On/Off Throttle and Jake-Brake engine braking: bypass the clutch switch. Don't pay $400+ for a power commander. The PC is really only designed to add fuel and adjust timing to take full advantage of freer flowing intake and exhaust. This is the way to go for more power.

Bypassing the Clutch switch disables Closed Throttle Fuel Cut. 3D Cycle Parts sells the plug, which is out of stock. Again.
3D Cycle Parts Clutch Bypass Plug

Or do what others have done for under $1. They put a 15 Amp Fuse on the Clutch Switch Wire. Just like the video showed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
JDJetting has an EFI tuner in development for adjusting fuel on the 2022 KLR650.
The results look promising with an improvement of ~15% making simple intake and exhaust mods, and fueling alone.
Part number will be JDKAX04 at JDJetting.com

I had a KLR650 before, and am really tempted to pick up another one after having this bike for the evaluations.

Dyno Curve with Horsepower before and after

Torque Curves before and after mods with tuner

Throttle was marked and low/medium/high tests were made to evaluate air/fuel in each range. The results are not lean in any range, but will still have good economy/performance. Low throttle has economy and high throttle will use the fuel like any bike would in this weight range, and not running street tires.

***Note that these results are with STOCK TIRES (semi-knobby) and a smoother road tire on the back would show higher power measured on the roller.
KLR650 Throttle Marked for low/medium/high tests
2022 KLR650 on Dyno

·
Registered
448 Posts
If JDJetting ships to CA, I'm in. If I have to bribe someone in another state to ship me one I'll do it. ;) The product is not in their website yet.

Thank you for this update.

What's interesting is the Air/Fuel at the 6 different throttle settings to give you an idea of fuel what to expect with fuel efficiency. I'm guessing at steady state cruising of about 75 mph the A/F ratio is between 13.5 to 14:1.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
979 Posts
Reactions: ZZnoTop

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
979 Posts
The dyno runs JD posted has stock runs and with tuner.
I should have specified….an unbiased dyno run performed by someone outside of JD :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
448 Posts

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
979 Posts
Ordered! Finally a Dyno Tuned plug and play solution!

$260 for this versus $430 for the Power Commander that they won’t ship to California is a no brainer. I’ll report back my findings.
Please do! Know anyone that will let you roll on their dyno for free? :p

Reactions: ZZnoTop and OCL
21 - 40 of 69 Posts