Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,112 Posts
I ordered yesterday and already chatted with JD. OCL, with our mods, we will be sitting pretty. Only problem is I'm leaving my bike up in Northern Wisconsin for the next 3 weeks so I won't be able to play with it until then. I have the central ADV rally coming up soon so I'm leaving the bike here. I don't ride near my home anyway because Illinois sucks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I’m wondering if the JDTune disabled Fuel Cut? Or if the clutch switch mod still necessary to disable fuel cut with the JDTune?

I guess I’ll find out. I’ll do a full review here. Very excited!!

Finish your rally then install the tuner. Looking forward to you findings.

KLR-Mule….do it. If this thing turns out to be a winner it may end up on back order after we tell everyone. LOL!

I’m quite sure the FB page won’t have any shortage of people against more power for their KLR. I can’t wait to have that discussion there!

·
Registered
448 Posts
You will keep your Clutch switch bypassed. I asked him. Uni filter, snorkel out, clutch bypass and free flowing muffler is how they were able to get the best gains.
That’s the best news this weekend!! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to getting this tuner on board. I also just installed the Uni Filter to replace my dirty OEM. The bike might just be this close to being perfect! And I haven’t poured half the money into it as I did the DR650!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do these units come preset with certain mods in mind, like air filter and exhaust?
Or do you hook them up to a laptop and download a new map for the bike off a list that has one that matches what you have done or what you want to do?

I've installed controllers on a couple machines in the past, but it's been so long I'm sure things have changed.

I didn't see anything on the page that indicated whether this ran automatically or needed set up... Under additional information is just listed weight... maybe I was supposed to plug in my bike info.

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,112 Posts
I got a shipping notice from JDJetting today, so I guess it will be on the way tomorrow. With any luck I can try it out by next weekend.
Same here. Shipping confirmation came this morning. Please figure it all out for me. I won't have access to my bike for 3 weeks. I left it up where I ride and have a rally coming up the beginning of August. Lots to do when I get there too...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do these units come preset with certain mods in mind, like air filter and exhaust?
Or do you hook them up to a laptop and download a new map for the bike off a list that has one that matches what you have done or what you want to do?

I've installed controllers on a couple machines in the past, but it's been so long I'm sure things have changed.

I didn't see anything on the page that indicated whether this ran automatically or needed set up... Under additional information is just listed weight... maybe I was supposed to plug in my bike info.
As I understand it, the module comes pre-tuned for what they have found to work best with a free flowing exhaust and more open intake, according to their dyno results. Adjustments are made directly on their controller (which stays mounted on the bike) via up and down arrows. I am going to run their installed program for a while to see how I like it, but it seems pretty easy to change if needed. I will probably mount the controller under the seat once I am confident in the settings.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
980 Posts
Does JD recommend deleting the o2 sensor with their tuner??

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,112 Posts
JD mentions 02 sensor readings as part of the adjustments so I'm guessing part of the harness will hook up to the 02 sensor, efi connector and battery at a minimum. We'll see soon once a few of us get them installed.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
980 Posts
KLR-Mule….do it. If this thing turns out to be a winner it may end up on back order after we tell everyone. LOL!
I haven’t had much luck with tuners in the past. Had a Jet chip on an old gmc pickup that permanently screwed up the auto-transmission programming. Also had a friend install a dyno jet power commander on his Polaris ranger. 2 years later, the tuner fried the ecu and it needed to be replaced.

I’m not implying that JD’s tuner will do the same, I’m just a little reluctant at the moment due to previous experience.
If you see decent power gains without issue, I might purchase one.

Reactions: OCL

·
Registered
448 Posts
I haven’t had much luck with tuners in the past.
Anything is possible, and any plug in tuner can screw things up with the wiring. After all, it is hardwiring itself to the factory ECM.

I did have a Powercommander tuner on my VFR for 10 years and 70k miles. It never missed a beat. Prior to that I had another older PC on an older VFR and that tuner was beaten to death, bouncing around under the seat for thousands of miles (I was unaware the velcro had come unglued). It just kept on working until the connector finally disconnected. I just reconnected the harness and re-velcro'd the unit back on, and everything was good. They seem pretty tough. Also, ECM's can be replaced. It's not going to damage anything inside the engine.

With your loud backfiring on decel running at high elevation, that tuner should get rid of all that. You can adjust the tables in increments, up or down, from the base map, according to your particular application. You can contact JDJetting on their website to get more clarification. I inquired about my order and got an answer within the hour. They're very responsive.

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,112 Posts
I've always leaned towards flashing the oem ecu or replacing it with a performance ecu like a GET or Vortex. Unfortunately we don't have that option yet. The Vortex I ran on a KTM 350 was a huge improvement with zero problems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I received my package from JDJetting today, he mailed it on Tuesday so it came pretty quick. The installation is very straight forward and the instructions are clear with photos. Basically remove the fuel tank, install a ground wire to an existing bolt, unplug the connector to the fuel injector and plug the new plugs from the tuner to each side of the factory connectors. There is no mod to the O2 sensor. He recommended mounting the control module with supplied Velcro to the fairing just right of the handlebars, which I did.

There are several recommended settings depending on what mods you have done to your bike. It comes pre- set for “off road” which is what you would start with on an otherwise stock bike. He has richer settings if you modify the air box, and richer still if you have an aftermarket exhaust with airbox mods. I have a LeoVince exhaust and have removed the air box snorkel (as well as the air box door) so I set mine to those recommended numbers.

Font Calendar Office equipment Games Recreation

I only had time to take a 20 minute test ride after getting everything buttoned up, but I can say I am very pleased. When I changed the exhaust and pulled the snorkel I really couldn’t tell any difference other than the bike being louder and popping more on deceleration. Eliminating the secondary air pump helped somewhat with the popping, but again no real noticeable difference in performance.

This actually makes a difference I can feel, it especially seems much snappier in the midrange. It is kind of cool to see the lights flashing on the controller as you move through different throttle ranges. I am going to take a three or four hour ride through the twisties tomorrow and run it through it‘s paces, but so far it looks like a big win. It doesn’t feel like a different bike, but a better version of itself.

BTW, I have found it better to remove the tank if I disconnect the fuel line from the top of the injector instead of from the bottom of the tank. It is much easier to reach without putting stress on the quick connect fittings, and those are the same at both ends of the fuel hose. I also don’t find it necessary to remove the side cowlings (which is kind of a pain with the Adventure model lights and my T-Rex crashbars), I just remove the through bolt that fastens them to the gas tank.

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,112 Posts
Mine came today as well. It'll be a couple weeks before I can install it. I did read the instructions, pretty straight forward. I wonder if the tank even needs to come off or if the injector connector can be accessed with the seat and just the rear tank bolts removed. Then prop the rear of the tank up a few inches. I'll figure it out soon enough.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts