Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about 400 mi in on my 2022 and started noticing a burning smell. Upon inspection, noticed something running down the muffler. I pulled the side cover and it seems to be coming from one of the bolts from the heat shield. See picture. It's as if there's a piece of plastic in the area of the bolt that is melted and running down the muffler.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Anybody else experience this?

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
965 Posts
Things on your bike may smell like they’re burning when new. Make sure your coolant, oil level, & battery are secure and ride on.
As long as it’s not on fire, don’t worry about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Things on your bike may smell like they’re burning when new. Make sure your coolant, oil level, & battery are secure and ride on.
As long as it’s not on fire, don’t worry about it.
[/QUOTE

I'm familiar with that ... like the smell of assembly lube etc burning off when the bike is started up when new. This is different: It's a burnt plastic smell and it is coming from whatever is running down the muffler. My speculation is that there is a plastic washer on the back side of the muffler heat shield that is melting. Why it took 400ish miles to happen I can't say for sure.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
I'll just guess that the Thailand assembly plant 'accidentally' installed some sort of plastic washer under the heat shield rather than a Heat Insulator washer!

I wonder 'WHY' there would be 2 different part numbers for those washers? They both use 6mm screws.
Maybe they should have used 2 of the thick ones?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Even on my Gen1, excessive exhaust heat was reported by some which could warp the plastic trim piece on the right side. I used a metal tape (dryer vent tape?) on the exhaust underneath the right side plastic, Have never had an issue. Although I have always left exhaust stock. If you are running an aftermarket pipe, more open breathing can be leaner, more peppy, and (pun intended) Hot tip - Hotter. maybe use half a roll of tape. (no offense to pipe guys, I am sure they sound cool . . . ) L6

1 - 15 of 15 Posts