Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOTE: Before discharging a salvo of arms fire, let me state that though I am no mechanic, I have done this on many different bikes for many years without any difficulty.

I have read the (absolutely dreadful) owner's manual and looked very closely at the (woefully inadequate) drawings included therein.

I have removed the bolt and washer (A) and the bolts and collars (B) as specified on page 121.

However, clearing the tab and hook of the right side cover from the seat cover involving the Tab (A) and Hook (B) on page 122 is another matter all together.

Finally capitulating after a half hour and completely unable to extricate the tab from the hook, I humbly ask what the trick is that would not require a Sawzall or even more drastic measures......

Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Reading what you have read only, online. Remove 3 bolts, washers & collars. Slide the cover rearward & downward, possibly, away from the seat?

I haven't even seen a 2022 on the streets in my town. I also recon that you probably have figured it out by now.

Reactions: Torquey

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Reading what you have read only, online. Remove 3 bolts, washers & collars. Slide the cover rearward & downward, possibly, away from the seat?

I haven't even seen a 2022 on the streets in my town. I also recon that you probably have figured it out by now.
I removed all the bolts and it is hung up on that tab. I tried sliding it back, forth, North, South, East, West, In, Out, Up, Down, and skewed until I finally surrendered.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
I removed all the bolts and it is hung up on that tab. I tried sliding it back, forth, North, South, East, West, In, Out, Up, Down, and skewed until I finally surrendered.
Ain't seen no 2022 model myself. Previous models (IIRC) have a protrusion about mid-plastic extending into a stabilizing hole. This little pointy shaft must be popped outward (toward the side of the bike) of its hole to remove the cover. 2022 model may be entirely different.

·
Administrator
9,303 Posts
@Damocles,

The new cover attachment is with a tab and hook and three screws. The 'tab and hook' replaces the bulbous peg of old. For the side panel, you first remove three screws, then slide the cover straight back to clear the hook from the slot, then pull the cover to the side and away.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Damocles,

The new cover attachment is with a tab and hook and three screws. The 'tab and hook' replaces the bulbous peg of old. For the side panel, you first remove three screws, then slide the cover straight back to clear the hook from the slot, then pull the cover to the side and away.
Correct you are Tom. Yet knowing that in no way assisted me in sliding that cover toward the rear of the bike. To an outside observer, it must've looked like that bike and I were doing the Mambo! The 3 screws were easy, but that TAB and HOOK!!! UGH!!! Talk about unnecessary weight...

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you haven't resolved this by now, it is extremely helpful to get the rear most screw mount tab to the outside of the upper plastic by bending slightly first. You will also need to do this when you re-mount as it doesn't want to "automatically" go back there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you haven't resolved this by now, it is extremely helpful to get the rear most screw mount tab to the outside of the upper plastic by bending slightly first. You will also need to do this when you re-mount as it doesn't want to "automatically" go back there.
Thanks much, mb. With the 3rd screw out I did bend the upper plastic panel. Everything seemed completely clear except for a thin metal hook shaped tab toward the inside of the bike at about the midway point. In my head, I could hear The Beatles' "Twist and Shout" while I was dancing with that thing for half an hour!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts