Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Reddit posters permission (Forwhomitmay) I'm sharing his findings inside his new '22 when he went in to update the Doo and spring and found the factory Doo had already caused some wear on the case in just 884 mi. I'm waiting to hear if the Doo cinch bolt was found loose from the factory like was the case on some Gen 2s. He said the scraping was enough to catch a fingernail on. Interesting.
( He's also a new member here - remery829 - Welcome !! )

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Font

·
Registered
22 Adventure ABS
22 Posts
Hey Mike and hello my new favorite forum! It was just enough to catch a finger on, and the cinch bolt was just barely snugged up it felt like when I pulled it apart. Wasn’t rattling loose by any means, but it barely took any pressure to break “torque”.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Remery and Welcome to the Forum!! Torqued at only 78 inch pounds its not a very tight bolt. Congrats on your new ride. You should be able to enjoy it for a long time to come now !!!

·
Registered
22 Adventure ABS
22 Posts
I hope so, I did the thermobob at the same time as well. So from what I have read, I have essentially bulletproofed it.

Now just waiting for some crash guards to be released or atleast a fitment check from a gen2. The factory light bar didn’t survive the first stretch of the AZBDR.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
ANY scruffing of the paint or worse yet WEAR into the Aluminum shows that the FACTORY is Still occasionally making the SAME ERROR as I had found on numerous GEN 2 bikes (loose locking bolts).
60-80 inch pounds is plenty to LOCK it DOWN.

I'll suggest that the Dealership needs to be informed of this, so that they can report it to the K Tech Hot-Line and then check EVERY Gen 3 that they un-crate, like I DID check on most of the later Gen 2's that we sold (up thru 2016)!

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks PDW for weighing in. I thought you'd be interested to hear they're STILL doing this. Agree with you, thats a 1 min. check during the PDI.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New '22 KLR owner here also, bought the bike yesterday.

What is a Doo? And which bolts are you referring to so I can check them on my bike.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
"Doohickey," is a colloquial name for the, "Eccentric Shaft Lever," a component of the balancer chain tensioning system. "Doohickey," is sometimes applied to the ENTIRE balancer chain tensioning system.

Check your owner's manual for procedure adjusting balancer chain tensioning; should direct you to the bolt of significance to the rider. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its torqued in INCH pounds, NOT FOOT pounds. (some have made this mistake)
Congrats on your new ride!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you! Going to have to look more into this. My bike is under warranty but I'd rather not use it if I don't have to

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
26 Posts
HI Guys, I was just looking at Eagle Mike's parts for the "Doo". If I have a new 2022 with 100 miles on it, should I buy the full Do kit, or do I just need the Doo itself?

·
Registered
22 Adventure ABS
22 Posts
HI Guys, I was just looking at Eagle Mike's parts for the "Doo". If I have a new 2022 with 100 miles on it, should I buy the full Do kit, or do I just need the Doo itself?
I did the Full Doo with torsion spring. Comes with everything you need minus oil/filter/and basic hand tools and a drill. Very straight forward.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
If I have a new 2022 with 100 miles on it, should I buy the full Do kit, or do I just need the Doo itself?
The engine needs the EM Doo-Hickey with Torsion Spring and Gaskets.

But I have to ask,
Who is doing the Work? Doo they have the flywheel Rotor Holder, rotor Puller Bolt, 200 ft lb torque wrench, 200 INCH pound torque wrench and have previously done one? The Full Doo kit comes with the First 2 Tools + parts.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
26 Posts
The engine needs the EM Doo-Hickey with Torsion Spring and Gaskets.

But I have to ask,
Who is doing the Work? Doo they have the flywheel Rotor Holder, rotor Puller Bolt, 200 ft lb torque wrench, 200 INCH pound torque wrench and have previously done one? The Full Doo kit comes with the First 2 Tools + parts.
Yikes... I am mechanical and probably can perform the mod but I would love to turn it over to a pro. Are the dealerships typically cool with doing this? My dealership says their techs have been there for 10 and 15+ years.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've found that some of the dealerships might not be cool with doing the EM doo, looking at it as a non-factory authourized modification, but there are plenty of local Denver shops that'd be happy to "doo" it for you pretty reasonably if you don't have the tools or time. Good luck with your new bike!

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Yikes... I am mechanical and probably can perform the mod
I didn't mean to scare you. But you needed to be aware that you needed 2 different Quality torque wrenches (a 3rd torque wrench, 3/"8 drive - 150 to 1000 Inch pounds would round out your set) along with the Full Doo-Hickey kit. I would also advise that one should also have an actual Service Manual to go along with Souperdoo's 7 excellent videos, seen here Post Page

It is Best to perform the Removal & Reassembly with the engine at TDC. This is where the woodruff key is AT.

Re-installation of the woodruff key & flywheel gets the most people into trouble. Because they don't know the simple trick of using a sharp awl or center punch to place 2 small stipples onto 1 side of the lower half of the woodruff key and tap it Down into the woodruff fly-cut, to keep it in place. And the trick is Not IN any Service Manuals!

If a Dealership or an Independent shop or You can replace the starter ring gear on this engine, one should be able to remove the oem extension spring and properly drill a 1/16" hole for the Torsion spring. Read & Follow all instructions.

·
Registered
22 Adventure ABS
22 Posts
Yikes... I am mechanical and probably can perform the mod but I would love to turn it over to a pro. Are the dealerships typically cool with doing this? My dealership says their techs have been there for 10 and 15+ years.
I apologize for watering it down. I’ve always done all of my own maintenance and am an A&P, so heavy/intricate maintenance doesn’t bother me.

If you have any concerns absolutely go with a mechanic. I would think it wouldn’t be more than 2-3 hours of labor all said.

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Adventure
30 Posts
I didn't mean to scare you.
Well I for one appreciate your candor and honesty! I was thinking this would be something I might tackle over the winter but I'm officially scared. Lol. I consider myself to be mechanically inclined but also smart enough to know when something is beyond my abilities.....this appears to be beyond my abilities. So I guess the next step is finding out who I have locally that has done one of these. Anybody in the Southern Region having a tech day any time soon??!! :unsure::D:D

·
Registered
22 Adventure ABS
22 Posts
Well I for one appreciate your candor and honesty! I was thinking this would be something I might tackle over the winter but I'm officially scared. Lol. I consider myself to be mechanically inclined but also smart enough to know when something is beyond my abilities.....this appears to be beyond my abilities. So I guess the next step is finding out who I have locally that has done one of these. Anybody in the Southern Region having a tech day any time soon??!! :unsure::D:D
I’m in the Tucson area and wouldn’t mind helping the community out for a couple frosty beverages.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Well I for one appreciate your candor and honesty! I was thinking this would be something I might tackle over the winter
Well, I was quite apprehensive before performing my 1st ever DOO & Torsion Spring transplant also! And I've been working on other peoples pride & joy since 1976!
It is Not 'rocket science', it just takes care, common sense, good manuals, good instructions, Quality Tools & a clear attitude.

Have a beer or a toddy AFTER you are DONE.

Reactions: DPelletier
1 - 20 of 21 Posts