Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 Adventure, 2011 KLR650 (fast orange), 2021 TW200, 2008 TW200
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be idling a bit higher than I'd like and I can't find any adjustment to the idle speed on the 2022. Is all adjustability gone due to EFI? I'd hate to have to buy a whole new EFI module just to tone down idle a little. Quite happy with it otherwise, just can't do as slow a roll when tooling around on the beach in 1st as I can with the 2011 or with the TWs. TBH I haven't looked really hard yet - checked owners manual and did a Google search. Figured I'd ask the experts before investing more time investigation alternatives. Hoping I'm not at the mercy of the stealer to adjust. Thx

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,731 Posts
Yes, the EFI controls idle speed. There probably is a way to adjust it, but you’re under warranty, so ask the dealer to check it and reduce the idle speed if possible.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
1,201 Posts
How many miles have you logged on your bike?
I noticed my idle was a bit higher than my previous 2018 klr when it was brand spanking new. The idle seems to be a bit lower now that it has a few thousand miles on it. It still idles high when cold, and takes a minute or so to idle back down.
Maybe it has something to do with the engine computer & its air/fuel mapping? Or maybe the onboard computer is in “learn mode” until the proper amount of hours have been logged onto the engine? Not sure….all I know is my bike idles normally now.

Reactions: pdwestman

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
I have read that the 2022 idle speed has been raised to 1500 +/- a little bit and is controlled by the EFI only!

A cold or luke-warm engine will be higher. A Thermo-Bob 2 recirculating thermostat should help the engine to warm-up faster & more completely and therefore allow the idle to stabilize quicker.

·
Registered
2022 Khaki no abs, Thermobob 2, tusk panniers gen2, modified crash bars gen2, Tusk D-flex, 16t front
428 Posts
Actuating The clutch lever when in gear on my 2022 also raises the idle temporarily. Like pre-reving for clutch engagement or something? It works great when you're running thru the gears getting on the Hwy but I had to loosen my throttle cable slightly to appreciate the benefits otherwise I was reving too high during clutch engagement on shifts.👍

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your thoughts. It's still pretty new (weather hasn't been cooperating) so I'll give it some more break-in time before I chase this too aggressively.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
1,201 Posts
Found a solution toady as the fast idle was driving me insane.
There is a connector under your clutch lever, just jump the connection on the cable end and you're good to go.
Can you show us how you did this? I guess I’ll have to look under the clutch lever…I haven’t done so yet.

Reactions: ZZnoTop

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
10 Posts
Can you show us how you did this? I guess I’ll have to look under the clutch lever…I haven’t done so yet.
I should say that I haven't done a proper on road test of how the bike runs with the "anti stall" disabled. Turns out the clutch safety switch tells the ecu you're releasing the clutch.
Worst happens it can be reverted on the fly.

Disabling the switch is shown in detail here.

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,230 Posts
I'd advise against it with the fuel injected gen 3 KLR. I think we need to use caution with unknown fueling implications. I know from experience with other fuel injected japanese bikes bypassing the clutch switch puts the bike in a fueling loop thinking it's in neutral. I can't confirm with our bikes until guys like JD tuning and others do dyno runs with afr logging.
I'd suggest a thermobob for the idle.

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,230 Posts
define how high it's idling; carb'd spec was 1300 rpm =/- 100 or something similar; if it's close to that, I'd leave it alone

Dave
Repair manual says 1500rpm +or- no adjustments can be made(normally) Exact wording. The word "normally" leaves the door cracked open for my inquisitive nature.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
1,201 Posts
I’ll probably buy the clutch switch bypass from KawiBrad when his o2 sensor delete becomes available…hopefully soon.

Reactions: ZZnoTop

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After about 700 miles idle settled down so I'm at 8 mph idling in first. Stealer confirmed what manual said - no adjustment. Carbed 2011 can idle down to about 5 mph which I prefer for riding the beach, but I guess I'm going to have to get used to it.

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
Carbed 2011 can idle down to about 5 mph which I prefer for riding the beach, but I guess I'm going to have to get used to it.
The sand that I ride in takes a LOT more Power & Speed to even stay moving, than what is produced at a mere idle!

·
Registered
522 Posts
If it's tightly packed sand, you can go a lot faster than 8 mph indicated. Maybe 15 mph. Or even twice that in second gear. At least to avoid the front tire following all the tracks in all directions. I could be wrong because the sand is different in your area.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts