Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KLR 650 is coming back ..fuel injection, and ABS seem to be the changes..
My point here is when someone wrecks one..I wouldn't wish that on them , it just happens, would it be possible to put a gen3 engine in a gen one frame? The EFI would be a welcome change..any thoughts out there .probably too soon to know. I'm sure a garage machinist will figure it out

·
Registered
54 Posts
My point here is when someone wrecks one..I wouldn't wish that on them , it just happens, would it be possible to put a gen3 engine in a gen one frame? The EFI would be a welcome change..any thoughts out there .probably too soon to know. I'm sure a garage machinist will figure it out
There is another BIG change other than the fuel injection and ABS....It's 460 lbs!!! No thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Im going to hang onto my 03 as long as I can. At least they are keeping the price down in true KLR tradition. $7,000 aint bad compared to everything else out there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Amen to holding on to the machine you got especially when on it, perhaps let legs do most of holding and I'm not so sure I want a fuel pump buried inside my gas tank and clogged injectors in Tegucigalpa

·
Registered
155 Posts
My weak eyes tell me it's reverted to the Gen1 style chain tensioner / axle adjuster.

Edit: maybe a hybrid / new style. Pic

·
Registered
55 Posts
Possible, anything is possible. But it would be a ton of work. You would have to replace the wire harness, motor, all the EFI sensors would need to be added, Motor control computer, Exhaust system, Fuel tank because of the fuel pump. More than likely the gauge cluster also. If the ABS computer is attached to the motor computer, then that will need to be added. That is the major stuff. There will be more little stuff to add also. You are going to have to figure out were and how to mount all this stuff.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Underwhelmed. No way does this make me want to move from my '09 that has had most everything done to it.

FI? Nice feature, but not worth it to move on. Also, appears to be the same old school suspension. And, I'm guessing it will keep Eagle Mike in business for a while longer selling doo kits!

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
I'll just paste this from my earlier reply on the KLR (KLX) 700 thread,

300mm front disc with front & rear ABS (unknown if it has an Off Switch), Gen1 style swingarm/chain adjusters?, larger rear rack?, slightly different top design of 6.1 gallon fuel tank, I didn't see a pic of instruments, LED headlight, power ports & stronger alternator and of course EFI.

Still a 5 speed transmission, still Gen2 suspension travel.

USA has a 3rd model, the "Traveler" with a top box rather than panniers.

OH, did you all notice the Larger Engine displacement? lol 652 cc

It will forever be a mystery why this wasn't released 2 -3 years ago. And I always disliked it when they don't call this super early release date by current year model. Anything before August should be current year, IMO.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Here is a bit more on the new old KLR:

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
I'll about bet that the speedometer will now read off of the counter sprocket and gear ratio changes will cause it to really contradict with your GPS read out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'll about bet that the speedometer will now read off of the counter sprocket and gear ratio changes will cause it to really contradict with your GPS read out.
It does appear in the pictures that there is no speedo cable going to the front wheel!

Kawasaki seems to have lost it's mojo! They still make competitive MX bikes and the Versys 1000 is worthy of consideration in that segment. Everything else on 2 wheels is pretty mediocre IMHO!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Underwhelmed. No way does this make me want to move from my '09 that has had most everything done to it.

FI? Nice feature, but not worth it to move on. Also, appears to be the same old school suspension. And, I'm guessing it will keep Eagle Mike in business for a while longer selling doo kits!
Think everyone is right about the new old pig-heavy, polished turd

·
Premium Member
2014.5 KLR650
73 Posts
Cycle World says they fixed the doohickey ...

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
Here is a bit more on the new old KLR:

Believe it or not, the more I read, the more I like it. But it will not replace my Gen 1.

The above article talks about improved cam chain guides. There has NEVER been any issue with KLR650 cam chain guides! This way they blame the advertising department for incorrect terminology, without admitting previous errors.

"At the heart of the 2022 KLR is its long-running 652cc single-cylinder engine, now equipped for the first time with fuel injection. Kawasaki states the changes not only make starting easier, but this update combined with the fuel tank’s greater usable volume contributes to an increased range between fuel stops. Performance has also been improved with revised intake and exhaust cam profiles resulting in increased power and torque in the mid range. Plus a stronger cam chain guide material and shape add to the increased reliability. The new model still retains a 5-speed gearbox, but several refinements have been made for smoother shifting operation."

1 - 20 of 131 Posts