Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think the key is what type of resin/epoxy is used. Some are brittle, others flex some. My experience is the brittle stuff is much less expensive. If they can make baseball bats out of CF....
A bit off topic FWIW - Carbon Fiber Tow (bundles of thousands of CF strands) can be used with epoxy to reinforce repairs. Adds tremendous strength. Cheaper than CF cloth & sold in spools. TC
We did a lot of CF tidbits back in the day.

Problem was.....when we were making our DRs lighter.... is that you could only do so much. You did the exhaust, rear fender sub frame, passenger pegs and stuff here and there but that was basically it. I mean you wanted the rack for luggage but all the other stuff Suzuki needed to do...and they did with the 2nd Gen bikes.

So we bought rolls of fiber and used epoxy resin from West Marine....using the original parts as the plugs for the mold. We learned that certain items needed to be made thicker to reduce vibration...like turn signal mounts, etc.....while others could be made smaller. Custom brackets and stuff we're easy to make. We did it all and it felt good but it was mainly in our heads as the weight savings was good but in the overall theme of making the bike lighter it was nickle and dime stuff.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We did a lot of CF tidbits back in the day.

Problem was.....when we were making our DRs lighter.... is that you could only do so much. You did the exhaust, rear fender sub frame, passenger pegs and stuff here and there but that was basically it. I mean you wanted the rack for luggage but all the other stuff Suzuki needed to do...and they did with the 2nd Gen bikes.

So we bought rolls of fiber and used epoxy resin from West Marine....using the original parts as the plugs for the mold. We learned that certain items needed to be made thicker to reduce vibration...like turn signal mounts, etc.....while others could be made smaller. Custom brackets and stuff we're easy to make. We did it all and it felt good but it was mainly in our heads as the weight savings was good but in the overall theme of making the bike lighter it was nickle and dime stuff.

View attachment 28535
Looks great. You can't beat the look & durability plus it's something anyone can do. Ever try prepreg? Expensive but easier in some respects from what I've seen.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Prepreg is great, but you have to vacuum bag and autoclave it.
Yeah, I've always done it the "easy" way. Sure would be nice to lay up multiple pieces - engineered for strength/weight. I'll stick with simple until I'm independently wealthy. Thx

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks great. You can't beat the look & durability plus it's something anyone can do. Ever try prepreg? Expensive but easier in some respects from what I've seen.
No I've never used prepeg before.

In fact I only vacuum bag structural parts....like sub frames, etc. For little things there's no need....just compression to get as much air out as you can. Slower hardeners are great for soaking fabrics and are really clear .....and it gives a great gel coat with a lot of working time.

First part I ever did like 25 years ago or so.....for a friend's bike...but it eventually made its way to my CB. Just a dust cover for a rear brake. It's a little dusty from sitting. Back then it was mainly for looks......the big carbon fiber craze

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Confirmed by Kawasaki Motor Company USA Executive Offices:

No tachometer; no temperature gauge on 2022s.

Revised doohickey (balancer chain tensioning system)? No comment.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does "revised" mean "fixed" or "failed"? Not surprised by the other two. My last vehicle without a tach was my first car - '62 Corvair.

·
Premium Member
3,459 Posts
yep, even if they changed it, it doesn't mean it's "fixed". ......the Gen2 is the perfect example of that.

Dave

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
yep, even if they changed it, it doesn't mean it's "fixed."
Maybe 'way out on a limb, but . . . unless the doohickey (balancer chain tension system) is revised (from one or more of the design/materials/manufacture features of previous models), wouldn't expect "fixing."

Not to say that even if revised, the system may not be, "fixed."

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
They could have incorporated 'their version' of an Eagle Mike Torsion Spring and not say a word about IT!

Because Eagle Mike left the door Wide Open, hoping that they would do so! (No patent)

This is why I am patiently waiting for an official parts screen to be presented.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
They could have incorporated 'their version' of an Eagle Mike Torsion Spring and not say a word about IT!
Right!

Just as Kawasaki secretly revised the axles (thicker), and the rear brake disk (thicker). Oh, WAIT! They DID tell us about those changes!

Maybe Kawasaki wants the, "new, improved," doohickey to be a SURPRISE!

:)

·
Registered
248 Posts

Because Eagle Mike left the door Wide Open, hoping that they would do so! (No patent)

This is why I am patiently waiting for an official parts screen to be presented.
or just put a shorter spring in

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't even think the "non street legal" maps for EFI are going to make much difference for power.....probably about the same as stock jetting to KLX jetting. Kawi claims an "improvement" in mid range torque and tout a smaller header.....but that's probably offset by a WOT power drop.

Reminds me of an article by Jeep magazine back in the day (I had the same TJ they tested so I was interested); they tested K&N filters, cold air intakes, hi flow exhaust and tuners - at the end of the day they lost 2hp! Finally they just added a supercharger - that worked!

Not trying to be a "Debbie downer" or rain on anyone's excitement but I predict that time will prove that the "Gen3" produces pretty much the same power as a Gen1 and 2.....maybe as much as a jetted Gen1/2 but probably not as they still have to meet emmissions. Reading between the lines makes me think that actual internal engine changes (especially ones that would effect power) are very minor at best. Is it possible the new KLR has 2-3 more hp? sure, it's possible. Is it possible it has more than an older KLR with a jet kit and airbox mods? yep, but probably not. I would imagine the big advantages from the new EFI system will be ease of operation and better economy....not power.

Dave
I’m not going to do the math but with the increased weight the power increase is inconsequential....

81 - 100 of 131 Posts