Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've waiting for so long for dirtracks to make these. However, now after looking at the design I'm NOT going to buy these. Only two contact points to frame!!! The top one being very weak. The bars don't connect in the middle which would be another weak point. They look like they were made for a different bike, didn't follow contour lines, and did not cover as much as I thought. :( I'm so bummed right now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They do connect in the front. So that makes a total of 5 mounting points and since they are connected any stresses are spread between those 5 points. You could wait until December and see if you like the Adventure model crash bars better.
Yes I was wrong they do connect but it sure doesn't look like a strong connection to me. The connection point in the middle side is generally weak because of the bend required to get around the plastic but they could have at least made the bar connect in the middle for a strong connect and look. The front looks cheap.

The bars being right over the name we can call the bike a NR GO.

Disappointed.

Tire Wheel Grille Hood Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully someone will come up with something you like.
Honestly for almost $300 I expected more style and smarter stronger design.

I've seen videos of people dropping bikes with the older model bars, and pick the bike up with no damage to anything. I doubt this design could handle one drop without damage. It's a 500 pound bike.

The rear panniers and rear crash look very nice. I can't figure out what they were thinking here.

I'll wait for happytrails and if it's a no go I'll bend and make my own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honestly for almost $300 I expected more style and smarter stronger design.

I've seen videos of people dropping bikes with the older model bars, and pick the bike up with no damage to anything. I doubt this design could handle one drop without damage. It's a 500 pound bike.

The rear panniers and rear crash look very nice. I can't figure out what they were thinking here.

I'll wait for happytrails and if it's a no go I'll bend and make my own.
Same here. Checkout the Happy Trails updates on Youtube. Looks like some very well made products.

·
Registered
2022 KLR
14 Posts
I agree I’m waiting on Happy Trails. I just received the skid plate. Looks like a beast. I pre-ordered the center stand. Should be shipping first part of December. They did say their guards should be coming out very soon fingers crossed they are what you are wanting!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hopefully someone will come up with something you like.
The KLR gen 3 design seems consistent with the manner and appearance or other Dirtrack crash bars. The coverage looks good. I have a Dirtrach pannier rack. The pannier rack fabrication seemed to be solid and installation was straight forward. I will give the Dirtrack crash bars a try. I placed an order last night. If I end up regretting the decision I will follow up with a thread that explains my concerns.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
The KLR gen 3 design seems consistent with the manner and appearance or other Dirtrack crash bars. The coverage looks good. I have a Dirtrach pannier rack. The pannier rack fabrication seemed to be solid and installation was straight forward. I will give the Dirtrack crash bars a try. I placed an order last night. If I end up regretting the decision I will follow up with a thread that explains my concerns.
+1, also ordered last night. Folks will be able to see different opinions before rendering judgment on these.

I’m glad someone took the time to answer this itch (thanks 3DCycleparts). And I’m not a shill, just nice to have a KLR-specific vendor available.

·
Registered
2022 klr 650 adventure
6 Posts
Ya the dirt racks just looks too flimsy and the styling or complete lack of shows. I do appreciate them being the 1st ones out of the gate with them though. I'm going to wait to see Ht when they come out for the adventure model.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think the Dirt Racks crash bars will do the job, at least for the kind of riding I do. That said, I’m gonna try to be patient and see what Happy Trail comes up with, and T-Rex for that matter. All three brands are solid, IMHO, so for me it will just be a matter of which setup I like better. I’d be bummed if I rushed out and bought the first set to come out, to then find a set I like better, later on. Just like I’m gonna be royally pissed if Kawasaki brings back the tachometer next year. :p

·
Registered
49 Posts
They look decent to me, protection wise. I think if they failed to protect the fairing, then your ‘crash’ was pretty decent.
Crash bars is a bit of a misnomer anyways no? Drop Bars or fairing guards might be more accurate IMO. And at $300, I bet it’s cheaper than a smashed up fairing + more like radiator possibly.
“better than nothing” is my point. I don’t know why obscuring the logo is an issue tbh. Who cares?
mine thing to consider is frame integrity. Is protecting your fairing worth bending your frame? It’s easy to say “put something engine level” yet another to actually do it, without modifying the fairing or what not. And again, will your beefy frame mount bend the frame with a simple drop? 500 pounds to a single mount position is a possibility. Take a 500 pound sledge to your frame.
maybe it’s me, or maybe some are expecting too much from a ‘crash bar’. 1” tubing bolted up the way it is, doesn’t look “flimsy” to me.
With that said, there’s time now to wait and see what else comes along. Well, I guess if you live south enough there isn’t.
I’ve fab’ed up enough stuff to know that designing and building something like that is no quick and easy job. I mean, unless your only goal is to put pipe along your bike. $300 is a steal IMO. If I wasn’t just about to park my bike I’d have some on order, and might still.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Couldn’t resist sharing a pic of my fully farkled ride that I’ve christened “Liza.” Just got back from running some errands this evening after installing the front and rear crash bars from Dirt Racks, and the Harbor Freight tail box.

Not sure why some folks are down on these bars, but after installing them today they look and feel pretty darn solid. Is it 70mph lowside solid? I don’t know, and I’m not looking to test for that. But they certainly feel like they can take a drop or two on a trail, which is why they are there. Thanks 2combs for getting these to us!

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 15 of 15 Posts