Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,089 Posts
I'm glad to see that someone took my advise to use their riding jacket to keep the wheel bearings out of the dirt.
Tom Schmitz made a few 'Trail-Side Work Mats' (4x4 ft, heavy Cordura) to eliminate grease on our riding jackets. (hopefully you had a grease rag under your hub?)
I even suggested that he approach 'Happy-Trails' with his design. Sorry that it is still Not in their available accessorizes. :(

I haven't ridden more than 25 miles from home without my 'TS Trail-Side Work Mat' since I've received it! I used it for the first time, 25 miles from Any civilalation just last Autumn. Thank you Tom!

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm glad to see that someone took my advise to use their riding jacket to keep the wheel bearings out of the dirt.
Tom Schmitz made a few 'Trail-Side Work Mats' (4x4 ft, heavy Cordura) to eliminate grease on our riding jackets. (hopefully you had a grease rag under your hub?)
I even suggested that he approach 'Happy-Trails' with his design. Sorry that it is still Not in their available accessorizes. :(

I haven't ridden more than 25 miles from home without my 'TS Trail-Side Work Mat' since I've received it! I used it for the first time, 25 miles from Any civilalation just last Autumn. Thank you Tom!
Yeah, I had a shop rag under the hub. Worked well!

·
Premium Member
2022 KLR Adventure
273 Posts
Supposedly the IDBDR is the easiest of the routes. You can check outa video of it on YouTube. They’ve put all the movies there for free.
Watched last night. Was curious is there were other opinions on it like what time of year is best.

I don’t enjoy high temps but don’t want to go too early and have to deal with terribly muddy conditions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I watched a YouTube video done by Grizzlee when he rode the IDBDR. Was rather informative and I believe he went right after Labor Day. He mentioned it was warm a couple of days and the area wasn’t too overrun since kids were back in school, etc. I would think the other consideration would be fires.

This is on my list to do but just picking up the new bike this weekend there are numerous farkles to be purchased and I need to get used probably won’t have a chance to go before next year.

If you go please do a report of it.

·
Premium Member
2022 KLR Adventure
273 Posts
I watched a YouTube video done by Grizzlee when he rode the IDBDR. Was rather informative and I believe he went right after Labor Day. He mentioned it was warm a couple of days and the area wasn’t too overrun since kids were back in school, etc. I would think the other consideration would be fires.

This is on my list to do but just picking up the new bike this weekend there are numerous farkles to be purchased and I need to get used probably won’t have a chance to go before next year.

If you go please do a report of it.
I have ParaMoto’s pulled up but didn’t have time to watch at work today. I’ll look for that one too.

If I take that trip on it won’t be until next year as well.

·
Premium Member
11,089 Posts
I've had quite a few out-of-state riders thru my area of WY riding the WYBDR this year.
I've sold quite a few inner tubes, a few tires, a chain for a 3000mile 2022 KLR, etc.

WYBDR 1st full ride movie, 1:25 minutes,

·
Premium Member
11,089 Posts
It rained pretty good around WY last night & this morning.
I hope that most of the WYBDR riders are sharp enough to NOT attempt the wetted desert areas before Tomorrow. Because it will probably rain some more this afternoon and that stuff it Slick & STICKY.

If on a tight scheduled, take the asphalt to the next lay-over.

Reactions: AzMtnThumper

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was just over at the tw200forum and there is a report of a couple riding their TWs on IDBDR. If’n they can ride it I would think a few KLRs should be able to do the same.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts