Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Registered
2022 Khaki no abs, Thermobob 2, tusk panniers gen2, modified crash bars gen2, Tusk D-flex, 16t front
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to let the curious know that The standard $54 Tusk Dflex handguards from RMATV fit the Klr650 Gen 3 and are absolutely EXCELLENT for the frugal minded KLR-ista!( & no this is Not a paid endorsement unfortunately)
Now mind you, I had to bend the slotted end out slightly of course and I used a couple left over bolts from my crash bars instead of messing with the new anchors for the bar ends 馃槀 but super easy install. The reviews saying the opposite didn't quite understand the assignment when they made their $54 purchase I suspect...
I left out photos because they would look like ALL the OTHER images already online of the successful process on other bikes. Be assured that They Definetly FIT the gen3 klr650! Move the controls around if need be but 100% they fit for sure! & If someone says they don't fit... Then they just need to try HARDER!馃挭馃槵

Registered
ZZno Top, I'm not picking on you. I am indeed shopping for handguards for my '22 as well. I've tried on two, one is the Trackside from Cycle Gear, and the other is from Zeta Racing. The issue I've found with both is U-Clamps. None of these bars fit right without an articulating U-Clamp like this. Without these, you will have to bend the main bars to fit the handlebar angle, like what you had to do. Anyway, I believe this applies to a lot of adventure bike handlebars, not just with KLR's. Had the same issue with my VStrom.

Registered
2022 Khaki no abs, Thermobob 2, tusk panniers gen2, modified crash bars gen2, Tusk D-flex, 16t front
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
ZZno Top, I'm not picking on you. I am indeed shopping for handguards for my '22 as well. I've tried on two, one is the Trackside from Cycle Gear, and the other is from Zeta Racing. The issue I've found with both is U-Clamps. None of these bars fit right without an articulating U-Clamp like this. Without these, you will have to bend the main bars to fit the handlebar angle, like what you had to do. Anyway, I believe this applies to a lot of adventure bike handlebars, not just with KLR's. Had the same issue with my VStrom.
They are $54 handguards... If you want to buy custom fit ones then PLEASE GO AHEAD. I am posing this for the "FRUGAL MINDED KLR-ISTA" like my post says. They are easily adaptable as is 馃槑馃憤

Fyi I also modified some crash bars & pannier racks if you feel the need to critique on other things that you probably haven't tried on the 2022 klr model yet...? Smh馃憦馃槀

Registered
Relax man. This is the internet you need thicker skin. Not trying to critique you. Just because someone suggests something slightly different than yours, you don't need to immediately go on Defense. If I didn't think your ideas were sound, I wouldn't even bother reading them. Ride safe.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Relax man. This is the internet you need thicker skin. Not trying to critique you. Just because someone suggests something slightly different than yours, you don't need to immediately go on Defense. If I didn't think your ideas were sound, I wouldn't even bother reading them. Ride safe.
馃憦馃槀 do I seem upset? LMAO if you aren't "picking on" or "critiquing" then what ARE you doing? You have no answers that are sound to the questions being asked yet you are still giving advice?... Maybe YOU should relax homeboy馃槵

Registered
I see how it is. I called you out on your gearing bullshit and now you're upset and won't let it go. Ever think you get so defensive because you're afraid people will catch on that you don't know what you're talking about?

Have a nice life Junior.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I see how it is. I called you out on your gearing bullshit and now you're upset and won't let it go. Ever think you get so defensive because you're afraid people will catch on that you don't know what you're talking about?

Have a nice life Junior.
Your trust issues need HELP. IDGAF If you don't believe what I'm saying! 馃槀 GO buy some ArTiCuLaTiNg clamps 馃憤 a thermobob for $130 馃憤馃憤& a 16t sprocket for $10馃憤 馃憤馃憤 & find out for yourself but you are NOW apparently projecting your issues on me.馃槀 Go tell the Suzuki guys about your Suzuki knowledge but It Litterally doesn't apply to the questions being asked HERE 馃憦馃槀 this is HiLaRiOuS!

Registered
I hate to interrupt this banter, but , it seems the Tusk Dflex handguards do not include any kind of end of bar weight. How important are those weights? I assume
[1] they help with vibration --- maybe the mass of the handguards makes up for that?
[2] they protrude more --- increasing the chances of the bar end being the first thing to hit the rock you fall over on, so maybe its best not to have them??

Registered
Those OEM bar end weights make a HUGE difference in reducing vibes at the handlebars.

Even with stock, no handguards, the first thing that's going to hit the ground is the OEM lower engine guards (if you have those), then the handlebars. If the handlebars rotate left or right full lock, the next thing that will hit is the side plastic panel covers and/or the ADV upper bars that the auxiliary lights attach to. The brunt of the impact will go to the lower engine guards though.

I kept my OEM bar end weights. No additional vibrations.
Untitled by rogue_biker, on Flickr

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hate to interrupt this banter, but , it seems the Tusk Dflex handguards do not include any kind of end of bar weight. How important are those weights? I assume
[1] they help with vibration --- maybe the mass of the handguards makes up for that?
[2] they protrude more --- increasing the chances of the bar end being the first thing to hit the rock you fall over on, so maybe its best not to have them??
Thank you for bringing it back around 馃憤LMAO The weights are not necessary but offer vibration dampening like you said. I opted to leave mine off and haven't noticed a big difference. Maybe slightly more vibration but those bar end weights stuck out so far after the d flex install... Maybe even more that the panniers do??? I thought they looked ridiculous馃槀馃憤

Premium Member
With the oem weights installed beyond the aluminum lever guards, if the bike goes down while in-motion the bolts can be bent or worse, sheared off.
Most riders with true off-Road experience would rather have the aluminum loops simply slide along the ground a bit.

Registered
I've been off road many times on my DR and VStrom. Desert. Mountains. Gone down a few times as well. So far so good having the OEM bar end weights out there. It's a choice I make on my bike. I'll deal with the consequences if it comes to that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now If you sharpened those bar end weights into SPIKES they MIGHT look cool 馃槀馃憤

Premium Member
I know a guy who claimed to use the Largest, Longest handlebar end weights available, on an already WIDE handlebar on a Honda Valkarie to tag automobile side-view mirrors while splitting lanes in California traffic when they crowded him!
Wow.

• Haha
Reactions: ZZnoTop

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I know a guy who claimed to use the Largest, Longest handlebar end weights available, on an already WIDE handlebar on a Honda Valkarie to tag automobile side-view mirrors while splitting lanes in California traffic when they crowded him!
Wow.
Learned to ride in SoCal as a kid 40yrs ago. The freeways are crazy out there & you really don't want to sit in that bumper to bumper traffic without a bumper... 馃槀馃憥 splitting traffic is also skEtChY AF THOUGH no lies! Matter of fact the CHP wrote me a ticket for 95+ splitting traffic on that zx11 back in 2004. I wasn't going quite that fast but I stopped so that's what I got 馃馃憤

1 - 20 of 39 Posts