Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Premium Member
Matter if fact the CHP wrote me a ticket for 95+ splitting traffic on that zx11 back in 2004. I wasn't going quite that fast but I stopped so that's what I got
I hope that you've slowed down a little bit, while in traffic. Glad that you lived to tell us about your wilder days. :)

Reactions: ZZnoTop

Registered
2022 Khaki no abs, Thermobob 2, tusk panniers gen2, modified crash bars gen2, Tusk D-flex, 16t front
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I hope that you've slowed down a little bit, while in traffic. Glad that you lived to tell us about your wilder days. :)
Yes Sir! Fortunately it's Not legal to split traffic in Texas & everyone is already going 80mph out here! Cruzing at 80 mph on the KLR FEELS LIKE 120 MPH!!馃槅馃憤 I'm retiring the zx11 for now

Registered
I can see that happening in Cali. Even with my stock KLR handlebar width, I have to be careful not to tag SUV side mirrors with the OEM wind deflectors. Luckily, most places I ride at have wide enough roads for me to split lanes, including freeways.

PDWestman, I get your point about width and the risk of those bar end weights doing more damage in an off road crash. Believe me the latter is a concern. But without those bar end weights, the difference in felt vibrations is a lot. One of the biggest draws of the '22 KLR's for me are how smooth they are for big singles. I just didn't want to sacrifice that since 80% of my riding is on pavement and highway, and having smooth handlebars is a big deal to me.

Registered
I am having trouble adding more bend to the handguard. Probably need a bigger vise. If I put my propane torch to it, will that permanently weaken the aluminum?

Premium Member
With aluminum, one NEEDS to allow the propane heat (DO NOT USE Acetylene torch) to do the Work of Allowing the aluminum to slowly bend/yield with Very Minimal pressure (1 finger tip) on the wrench or vise-grip controlling the direction and amount of deflection.
If you attempt to force medium heated aluminum it will fracture.
One Can't See that shiny metal turn dull red in a bright shop. Slightly Brighter red & it simply melts. But one can Feel it give, ever so gently with 1 finger tip.
Then allow to COOL Naturally / slowly.

Registered
2022 Khaki no abs, Thermobob 2, tusk panniers gen2, modified crash bars gen2, Tusk D-flex, 16t front
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I didn't need to bend it that much... I clamped the slotted end & gave it a little what-for! You have The clamps under the cross bar like my pics right?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I loosened everything up & moved it all around untill it fit right. If it's still not lining up for you take a couple pics & I'll try and help however I can馃槑馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I noticed if you zoom in on the pics of the front of both sides you can see exactly where they bent at the ends of the slots. It was just a couple degrees of bend

Registered
I loosened everything up & moved it all around untill it fit right. If it's still not lining up for you take a couple pics & I'll try and help however I can馃槑馃憤
I could just bolt it up and call it good, just prefer to put some bend in it so its a flush mate and not an angle.
thanks

Registered
Well, I gave up, I didn't really want to destroy them or my workbench. Tried heating with propane and smacking it with a 4 pound mallet. No good. So I bolted all together with a slight angle, put a fat lock washer in between the two surfaces and kept the split end of the washer on the thicker side. Seems sturdy as hell. I am happy.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Carbon Vehicle Bicycle tire

Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
You'll be fine as is.
The aluminum is really tough, and it really depends on the particular bend of bar you have. I'm running atv high protaper and I had to reef on it in the vice. Every set of guards I've ever put on needed to be tweaked some. So many bar bends out there so there is no universal fit without some massaging imho.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Here's a close up of my clamps.
Hood Automotive design Carbon Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Automotive design Carbon

They don't hit the dash in either direction at full lock.

Those ends just need to be clamped into a big enough vise so you can give them a good tug with the long part of the guard as your pry bar. I imagine It'll work fine just like that as long as it stays tight. It sucks they gave you such a hard time.馃槑馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Update...
In windy conditions the plastic covers do cause some wobble at higher speeds. I prefer mine without the covers now.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Registered
2016 KLR650 Camo, Dirtracks, EM Doo,T-Bob, Giant Loop bags, rally dash, Cyclops LED, Madd Risers
If you鈥檙e interested, another guy on the forum bought his wrecked KLR and is rebuilding it. There鈥檚 a thread on it, although I haven鈥檛 seen any updates to it lately.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts