Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys, I installed the USB upgrade kit today on my 2022 KLR650. Pretty smooth. But thought I should post up, as the direction photo clarity is not so great and I did figure a few things out.

You can almost install it without taking off the left side panel but I decided to take off the left side panel, as I could not determine how to remove the plastic waterproof cap from the pre-wired connector. The waterproof cap is also clear and in the instructions it looks black. The cap is mounted on a steel hanger. Simply slide the cap up by pressing the indent at the bottom facing you (if panel removed). Then use the upper indent to separate the clear cap from the pre-wired connector. Then when you assemble the new connections, you rehang the new connection back on the steel hanger. Hope this helps.

This is the waterproof cap that you can toss out when done. You can see how the right side has the plastic backpack looking sleeve that slides off the steel hanger.

Finished Mod!

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Adventure
30 Posts
Awesome job!! I really like that USB. I was worried from some of the reviews about how floppy and flimsy it appeared to be. So far I've found it to be floppy when open but not to hard to seat and once seated it has so far stayed put. Now we shall see in 3 or 4 years how it's doing! Congrats on the new bike!

Reactions: ChrisSandstorm

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome job!! I really like that USB. I was worried from some of the reviews about how floppy and flimsy it appeared to be. So far I've found it to be floppy when open but not to hard to seat and once seated it has so far stayed put. Now we shall see in 3 or 4 years how it's doing! Congrats on the new bike!
How are you liking your bike? I really liked the adventure package but preferred Sand color, so I am probably slowly going to add most of the adventure add ons.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Chris, please forgive my ignorance but what is the difference. between the old and new USB charger?

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Adventure
30 Posts
How are you liking your bike? I really liked the adventure package but preferred Sand color, so I am probably slowly going to add most of the adventure add ons.
Absolutely positively loving it!! I really like the Adventure model, I will admit at first I wasn't in love with the camo but it is definitely growing on me. The driving/fog lights are really good, they round out the low beams for sure. I know they are pricey but if you're making a Sand Adventure they are worth it in my opinion. I really like the way the bars wrap around the front.
How bout you? How you liking yours? I love taking it out for rides - smiles for miles!

Reactions: ChrisSandstorm

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Absolutely positively loving it!! I really like the Adventure model, I will admit at first I wasn't in love with the camo but it is definitely growing on me. The driving/fog lights are really good, they round out the low beams for sure. I know they are pricey but if you're making a Sand Adventure they are worth it in my opinion. I really like the way the bars wrap around the front.
How bout you? How you liking yours? I love taking it out for rides - smiles for miles!
Awesome! I Am making a Sand Adventure bike for sure. I will probably get the engine guards and the other power adapter next. I will probably hold off on the lights and panniers until I schedule a longer trip.

I am loving it, the lower profile seat gave me a lot more control on the bike and It feels a lot more manageable. I have to admit, I was really intimidated on my first ride in town and I did not enjoy the ride as much as i had hoped. But last weekend I went up to the foothills West of Denver and rode a winding road up and down and that was super fun. I am itching to take it out on the trails.

·
Registered
2022 KLR 650 base model
8 Posts
Awesome! I Am making a Sand Adventure bike for sure. I will probably get the engine guards and the other power adapter next. I will probably hold off on the lights and panniers until I schedule a longer trip.

the lower profile seat gave me a lot more control on the bike and It feels a lot more manageable. I have to admit, I was really intimidated on my first ride in town and I did not enjoy the ride as much as i had hoped. But last weekend I went up to the foothills West of Denver and rode a winding road up and down and that was super fun. I am itching to take it out on the trails.
Awesome! Takes a little while to get used to, but I’m loving my khaki base model 2022. Definitely has its limits in the technical and steep stuff out here on BLM land in Chaffee County, and my buddies 1st gen seemed a bit easier to handle maybe. I pushed it a bit and dropped mine in a sandy wash and cracked the plastic :(. I bet better tires than the stock tires would help. Wish I had some guards first, but not too bad and will eventually get a replacement part for that. Had almost full tank of gas. I think having a half tank, or less, of gas is helpful In technical stuff and feels a bit better. Drops 20 pounds or more up there with less gas. She‘s great on everything else, like dirt roads, mellow two-track, mellow sand, and on the asphalt.

Would like to get the extras like USB, fog lights, guards etc. but right now everything appears to be out of stock. Any tips on where to find the factory stock parts?

Enjoy!

Rich

·
Registered
2022 KLR 650 base model
8 Posts
How about building a good relationship with your local dealership?
I don’t have a local dealer, I live in Central Colorado in the mountains and closest dealer is almost 2 hours. Of course I’ll check around. My experience is that things are not available so I was trying to find out where people are getting their part. Thanks man!

·
Registered
2022 KLR 650 base model
8 Posts
I don’t have a local dealer, I live in Central Colorado in the mountains and closest dealer is almost 2 hours. Of course I’ll check around. My experience is that things are not available so I was trying to find out where people are getting their part. Thanks man!
I should add that I work full-time and Sunday is my only day off. Not sure why but all the local shops in Colorado are closed on Sunday. So obviously that’s not great for me. I’d love to support them if they want to offer a better hours and service, But most of them are making plenty of money and work bankers hours or worse 😀

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
These guys have easier to find pages and better line drawings & I really like their "Parts Search Function" to compare where used on various models & years, but I seldom purchase from them.

ATV Parts, ATV Tires, Dirt Bike Parts, Motocross Gear, Motorcycle parts and Motorcycle Tires | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC seem to always have better prices.

Bookmark them Both!

Reactions: ericboutin

·
Registered
2022 KLR 650 base model
8 Posts
These guys have easier to find pages and better line drawings & I really like their "Parts Search Function" to compare where used on various models & years, but I seldom purchase from them.

ATV Parts, ATV Tires, Dirt Bike Parts, Motocross Gear, Motorcycle parts and Motorcycle Tires | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC seem to always have better prices.

Bookmark them Both!
Nice thanks!!

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome! Takes a little while to get used to, but I’m loving my khaki base model 2022. Definitely has its limits in the technical and steep stuff out here on BLM land in Chaffee County, and my buddies 1st gen seemed a bit easier to handle maybe. I pushed it a bit and dropped mine in a sandy wash and cracked the plastic :(. I bet better tires than the stock tires would help. Wish I had some guards first, but not too bad and will eventually get a replacement part for that. Had almost full tank of gas. I think having a half tank, or less, of gas is helpful In technical stuff and feels a bit better. Drops 20 pounds or more up there with less gas. She‘s great on everything else, like dirt roads, mellow two-track, mellow sand, and on the asphalt.

Would like to get the extras like USB, fog lights, guards etc. but right now everything appears to be out of stock. Any tips on where to find the factory stock parts?

Enjoy!

Rich
Hi Rich, Sorry to hear you had your first drop. Bound to happen. I ordered my accessories directly from Kawasaki's web site. They came pretty quickly! I am going to order the engine guards and feeling like I should order more aggressive tires. I really want to take it to Moab, once I build my trailer!

·
Registered
2004 KLR 💨 2022 KLR
5 Posts
I just installed the factory USB kit today, I was super pumped BUT low and behold, not get any power out of it. Checked my connections again, seem tight.

Anyone else had this issue?

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I just installed the factory USB kit today, I was super pumped BUT low and behold, not get any power out of it. Checked my connections again, seem tight.

Anyone else had this issue?
Did you install an accessory relay on the right side? All of the factory accessories receive switched power from a single 35 amp relay. Kawasaki isn't clear that you need that with all accessories. I have the relays here, you only need one:

https://3dcycleparts.com/KLR650-2022-Accessory-Relay-Replaces-OEM-99994-1502-p391374808

Also, you might wanna just pick up my 12 volt outlet and relay. The Kawasaki factory USB is useless for me because it only puts out 1.0 amp which is pretty outdated, it will not charge my phone when running GPS, only maintains charge. 12 volt outlets are never outdated as you can pick up a 2.1 or even 3 amp USB adapter (double ports also) at any gas station. Much more versatile and reliable. Hope that helps.

https://3dcycleparts.com/12-Volt-DC-Power-Outlet-&-Relay-Kit-Plug-&-Play-KLR650-2022-p391520126

·
Registered
2004 KLR 💨 2022 KLR
5 Posts
Did you install an accessory relay on the right side? All of the factory accessories receive switched power from a single 35 amp relay. Kawasaki isn't clear that you need that with all accessories. I have the relays here, you only need one:

https://3dcycleparts.com/KLR650-2022-Accessory-Relay-Replaces-OEM-99994-1502-p391374808

Also, you might wanna just pick up my 12 volt outlet and relay. The Kawasaki factory USB is useless for me because it only puts out 1.0 amp which is pretty outdated, it will not charge my phone when running GPS, only maintains charge. 12 volt outlets are never outdated as you can pick up a 2.1 or even 3 amp USB adapter (double ports also) at any gas station. Much more versatile and reliable. Hope that helps.

https://3dcycleparts.com/12-Volt-DC-Power-Outlet-&-Relay-Kit-Plug-&-Play-KLR650-2022-p391520126
Perfect, thanks. I didn’t realize I needed the relay for the USB (you’d think they would just add it to the order and the $$$.

thanks for the tip, I’ll order one now.
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Perfect, thanks. I didn’t realize I needed the relay for the USB (you’d think they would just add it to the order and the $$$.

thanks for the tip, I’ll order one now.
Cheers!
Glad to help. I get why they don't include it, because if you bought all of the accessories you would have 3 relays left over that you paid for. It would be nice if they let you know that you need the relay for all the accessories.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UGh, I thought it was my charging chord. Gonna need to buy the relay also and I am going to do the 12 volt outlet also, one USB is kinda useless.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts