Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2022 KLR 650, 2018 Goldwing, 2015 Vstrom 650
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up an Orange 2022 KLR650 this Tuesday. Got my tail box mounted today. Harbor Freight Apache 4800. More mods to follow.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

This is the third bike I've mounted these cases on. The first 2 held up very well and remain waterproof for the time I owned them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice box and and it looks like you have it securely mounted. I can see from the color choice you are safety minded! I also removed the rear lic plate side reflectors, as I found them unaesthetic.

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Adventure
30 Posts
Nice! I have the adventure model so I went with the 3800. Slightly smaller but doesn't interfere with the panniers. I mounted mine exactly the same way. I absolutely love this box! Great to know about the waterproofness! Is that a word? LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today I installed some Aprilla type mirrors,
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

A Tusk extended shift lever (used this type on my last KLR),
Automotive lighting Clock Saw Tool Automotive exterior

And an Enduro Engineering Model # 24-8018 skid plate. Bolts right up to the factory mounts.
Automotive tire Automotive design Sports equipment Fender Bumper
Automotive lighting Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
36 Posts
And an Enduro Engineering Model # 24-8018 skid plate. Bolts right up to the factory mounts.
Thanks for the info on the skid plate. Looks like the 2018 skid plates fit current year bike. I have been looking at skip plates. I am actually a little surprised with the plastic one one the bike. Actually feels pretty durable.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
I like the length to the Enduro Eng. rear of the skid plate, but IMO it would have been better to space the Entire skid plate Down 3/8-1/2 inch rather than weld a snaggle/wart on the bottom. Seems plumb silly to me!
I've been spacing the Ricochett plates down with rubber donuts under the frame tubes for 25-30 years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I like the length to the Enduro Eng. rear of the skid plate, but IMO it would have been better to space the Entire skid plate Down 3/8-1/2 inch rather than weld a snaggle/wart on the bottom. Seems plumb silly to me!
I've been spacing the Ricochett plates down with rubber donuts under the frame tubes for 25-30 years.
I would agree if the "snaggle/wart" didn't serve a purpose. I believe it's designed to protect the leading edge of their linkage guard.
Computer Automotive exterior Font Laptop accessory Auto part

I'm planning on making my own and will post a pic when I get it done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Today I installed some Aprilla type mirrors,
View attachment 31123

A Tusk extended shift lever (used this type on my last KLR),
View attachment 31124

View attachment 31125 View attachment 31126 View attachment 31129
Do you have a part number for that extended shift lever? Where did you get it? I've read a few reviews where riders had difficulty getting their boot under the stock one. I have a size 13 foot, so I will need to do something. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Do you have a part number for that extended shift lever? Where did you get it? I've read a few reviews where riders had difficulty getting their boot under the stock one. I have a size 13 foot, so I will need to do something. Thanks.
I got it from Rockymountainatvmc and their part # 1030850106. Tusk Part # L26-215

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used the IMS extended Lever 313117, works for me
Thanks for the info. Do you know how much extension it offers over the stock piece? I didn’t see that spec listed on the web. I know the Tusk piece is 10mm longer. I want to buy the longer one. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the info. Do you know how much extension it offers over the stock piece? I didn’t see that spec listed on the web. I know the Tusk piece is 10mm longer. I want to buy the longer one. Thanks.
when I laid it beside it seemed like at least 3/4"

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would be interested in any information you have on spring and suspension upgrades for gen 3 klrs. I am not sure how much of the gen 2 info carries over to gen 3.

- Scott
I asked the same question and answer I got was "Its the same thing" so ordered the spring for a 18, and it works great. The feel of the bike is much better now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts