Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting 50-55 mpg on the Adventure model. I have run it down to the first bar on the fuel gauge a few times now, it only took 3 gallons @ 165 miles - 3.6 gallons @ 180 miles traveled.

Has anyone run this bike out of fuel yet to see how many miles we can really get out of it?

If so, when does the fuel gauge start flashing and at what range is left at that point?

What do you use for aux fuel cells?

·
Administrator
3,939 Posts

·
Administrator
9,218 Posts
It has a 6 gallon tank. I would be surprised if you can't get 5.5 gallons out of it. A more realistic mileage figure is 45mpg. That gives a range of 250 miles. I don't believe there is any place in the CONUS and Alaska where there are more than 250 miles between fuel stops.

The longest I have run into was from Ely to Tonopah, about 170 miles. I moved gas from the KLR to a Suzuki C90 on that leg. When we filled up in Tonopah we figured out that the C90 would have made it with no added gas.

In Canada, the Trans Lab and the Dalton may have some significantly longer stretches. I have no experience with that; the Canadians won't let me in because I'm not nice. I was once heard making jokes about the Queen's bare behind...

·
Administrator
9,218 Posts
You always come up with good ones!

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
I get 47mpg on my 2022. If you're getting 55, then you have my envy.
What speeds are you riding at, 70mph+? Is the bottom run of your drive chain Loose Enough to be Gently pushed up to just gently touch the rear tip of the swingarm under-slider? Are your tires at least 32F / 30R psi?
All 3 of these things impact fuel mileage.

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Registered
2022 KLR 650 Adventure
44 Posts
What speeds are you riding at, 70mph+? Is the bottom run of your drive chain Loose Enough to be Gently pushed up to just gently touch the rear tip of the swingarm under-slider? Are your tires at least 32F / 30R psi?
All 3 of these things impact fuel mileage.
Mixed speeds city-riding up to 80mph. Chain is in spec according to the manual. Tires were at 32/30 last week, but I haven't checked again. I do routine maintenance on the weekends and the daytime to nighttime temperature delta is up to 30°F.

I check my mpg at every fill up. Hasn't failed to hit 47mpg yet.

·
Premium Member
3,890 Posts
many, many variables with mileage but so far it sounds like the Gen3's are getting roughly the same as earlier KLR's......I would have expected a bit better

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Chain is in spec according to the manual.
That is not what I asked you.

Many times the tiny diagrams are miss-leading. Does one measure from the bottom of the chain to the top of the chain, when pushed down - then up? Or does one measure from the top of the chain to the bottom of the chain, when pushed down - then up? It does make quite a difference.

We have found the manuals to have many errors in the past. Especially the 1st Editions!

If you set on the bike & have someone else finger the chain does it still have at least 1/2" of easy free-play or does it pull bow-string tight? Too tight of chain equals less fuel mileage, less chain life, less sprocket life, less bearing life.

·
Registered
2022 KLR 650 Adventure
44 Posts
That is not what I asked you.

Many times the tiny diagrams are miss-leading. Does one measure from the bottom of the chain to the top of the chain, when pushed down - then up? Or does one measure from the top of the chain to the bottom of the chain, when pushed down - then up? It does make quite a difference.

We have found the manuals to have many errors in the past. Especially the 1st Editions!

If you set on the bike & have someone else finger the chain does it still have at least 1/2" of easy free-play or does it pull bow-string tight? Too tight of chain equals less fuel mileage, less chain life, less sprocket life, less bearing life.
As a professional mechanic, I'll stick to what the manual says.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 KLR 💨 2022 KLR
5 Posts
Has anyone run this bike out of fuel yet to see how many miles we can really get out of it?

If so, when does the fuel gauge start flashing and at what range is left at that point?
I ran it down until the fuel light was flashing and filled up right away. It took 5.1 gallons, at 254 miles. 1 gallon reserve seems about right. The new FI design and pump is supposed to allow you to use all the fuel, but I’m not interested in finding that out.

·
Registered
2022 KLR 650 Adventure
44 Posts
Be careful with that; there are several mistakes in the Manual.😉
How do you know if there are mistakes in a manual that just came out? Just curious. I'm aware there are some questionable bits in the old manuals, but I'm not aware of any issues with the new one.

I double checked. The total chain slack (full deflection, total vertical movement) is 1.3 in. This is in spec according to my manual (1.2 in~1.6 in). It clearly describes the method of measuring chain deflection.

·
Premium Member
3,890 Posts
How do you know if there are mistakes in a manual that just came out? Just curious. I'm aware there are some questionable bits in the old manuals, but I'm not aware of any issues with the new one.

I double checked. The total chain slack (full deflection, total vertical movement) is 1.3 in. This is in spec according to my manual (1.2 in~1.6 in). It clearly describes the method of measuring chain deflection.
I was referring to previous versions to show that manuals are not infallable. With the change in the spec for spring tension, personally I'd put the suspension at the point of tightest chain tension and check to see there is still some slack rather than just following the manual.......and If I was just going to follow the manual, I'd go on the high side as the ramifications of too little chain tension are much worse than having a bit too much slack.

2 cents,

Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts