Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

Registered
2022 Khaki no abs, Thermobob 2, tusk panniers gen2, modified crash bars gen2, Tusk D-flex, 16t front
I would wager that the odometer is spot-on. The speedometer is deliberately optimistic due to the legal ramifications of it reading under-speed. See the ECE Regulation No. 39, and what's good for the goose is good for the gander so we all get the optimistic speedometers rather than just the European Union.

What I will be interested to learn is whether or not the odometer will still be accurate after changing to the 16 tooth sprocket. I remain convinced that this new speed sensor on the countershaft is a hot mess that didn't need to be.
YOU are 100% correct! I just went for a 10mi ride & my odometer said 9.8mi, so the 16tooth corrected my "speed" but reduced my mileage traveled as measured by my bike...(can you say EXTENDED WARRANTY)馃挭馃槀馃憤 Seems like That's a 2% reduction that I'll have to account for when calculating my mpg I presume. But The rpms feel so much better at 75mph NOW so its a winner! & 40mpg @75mph after adjusting for the 2% (if my math is correct...lol) the $10 16tooth spocket swap Seems good to ME! Not bad on the dirt roads around me too馃憤

Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
YOU are 100% correct! I just went for a 10mi ride & my odometer said 9.8mi, so the 16tooth corrected my "speed" but reduced my mileage traveled as measured by my bike...(can you say EXTENDED WARRANTY)馃挭馃槀馃憤 Seems like That's a 2% reduction that I'll have to account for when calculating my mpg I presume. But The rpms feel so much better at 75mph NOW so its a winner! & 40mpg @75mph after adjusting for the 2% (if my math is correct...lol) the $10 16tooth spocket swap Seems good to ME! Not bad on the dirt roads around me too馃憤
How does 1st gear feel with the 16T? I had one on my gen 2 klr, and am considering one for my gen 3.
For some odd reason, the new klr feels like it has a taller first gear which has shied me away from the 16T thus far.

Reactions: ZZnoTop

Registered
2022 Khaki no abs, Thermobob 2, tusk panniers gen2, modified crash bars gen2, Tusk D-flex, 16t front
How does 1st gear feel with the 16T? I had one on my gen 2 klr, and am considering one for my gen 3.
For some odd reason, the new klr feels like it has a taller first gear which has shied me away from the 16T thus far.
It idles @ about 9mph & shifts comfortablly a little later than stock 20 - 25mph? More like a street bike. I might even add a 42tooth rear also & see what happens.
What I like is I'm not looking for 6th gear so much...馃槀 & its not pretending like I'm going "going 95mph" trying to get outta the way of the tractor trailers in the slow lane when I'm really only going 83mph or whatever (its TEXAS! everyone is driving 80 mph)馃槑馃憤

Registered
Hello, I'm new to this forum, and to motorcycles in general.

I have a 2022 KLR 650, which I love, but I am unsatisfied with my MPG... even since my first newbie rides (going around 55 mph for an hour or so).

It's the base model with ABS (Tan), but I have since added the adventure package (Hard side bags, fog lights, etc).
I have about 2000 miles on her, I now ride an average speed of 75 mph commuting to work in the carpool lane for an hour, at sea level, here in San Diego.

Since day 1 I get between 35-39 mpg. I calculate the mpg by filling her up to the very top, resetting tripometer, driving 43 miles each way to work, and filling her back up to the absolute top when I return at night, dividing the miles driven by gallons purchased

I have the tires at 23 psi(front) and 30 psi (rear) close to what the manual suggested, I believe.

I fill her with 91 gasoline. I upgraded to a SW Motek skid plate and a high wind screen from VStream, but it actually didn't change my mpg average, which was disappointing at 35-39 mpg even before any add ons (adventure package, Stream windshield, etc)

I am doing EVERYTHING wrong? I appreciate suggestions to getting better MPG... gas is $6/g here in SD.

Thank you for your help.

Registered
Averaging 55mpg on my hog (all @ 65-70mph or below). Most riding is done in hi altitude.
Here鈥檚 a couple pointers that may help ya.

For starters, I鈥檝e removed all the Commiefornia smog $hit, including the charcoal filter apparatus and smog (air) pump. Using eagle mikes air injection block off plate.
I鈥檝e also removed the airbox snorkel to give the beast a bit more fresh air. Make sure your keeping the air filter clean too.
Shinko 705鈥檚 all around (35psi rear & 33psi up front).
No need to run 91 octane fuel, your wasting your $. Cheap ol 87 will do the trick.
If your cruising much past 70mph on occasion, I would consider a 16T front sprocket to help lower engine rpm鈥檚. That should help with fuel economy.
Hope this helps鈥

Registered

Registered

I have a 2022 KLR 650, which I love, but I am unsatisfied with my MPG... even since my first newbie rides (going around 55 mph for an hour or so).

It's the base model with ABS (Tan), but I have since added the adventure package (Hard side bags, fog lights, etc).
I have about 2000 miles on her, I now ride an average speed of 75 mph commuting to work in the carpool lane for an hour, at sea level, here in San Diego.

Since day 1 I get between 35-39 mpg. I calculate the mpg by filling her up to the very top, resetting tripometer, driving 43 miles each way to work, and filling her back up to the absolute top when I return at night, dividing the miles driven by gallons purchased

I have the tires at 23 psi(front) and 30 psi (rear) close to what the manual suggested, I believe.

I fill her with 91 gasoline. I upgraded to a SW Motek skid plate and a high wind screen from VStream, but it actually didn't change my mpg average, which was disappointing at 35-39 mpg even before any add ons (adventure package, Stream windshield, etc)

I am doing EVERYTHING wrong? I appreciate suggestions to getting better MPG... gas is $6/g here in SD.

Thank you for your help.
That front tire air pressure isn鈥檛 helping, most recommendations will be only 2 psi difference front to rear

Premium Member
(35psi rear & 33psi up front). ???? My 2022 owners manual says:

View attachment 33566
heavy road riding lean mor towards the tire manufacture鈥檚 spec. True dual sport riding (on off road a lot) do the manual or maybe a little higher. I inflate on road, deflate off road. It鈥檚 been the same story for 30 years with these bikes, though I bet it鈥檚 more pronounced with the heavier Gen 3.

Registered

Thank you for your help.
Listen to klr-mule
Tire pressure was the biggest change in mpg for my gen3.

Registered
I could care less what that friggin manual says lol. Take a look at the recommended oil drain intervals, and you鈥檒l understand why.
You'd almost think they're in the business of selling MoToRcYcLeS 馃弽 or something the way they write those things... ALMOST like "this will keep you all good until AFTER YOUR WARRANTY EXPIRES" 馃槅馃憤

Registered
Cruising between 45-60 is where my KLRs seem to get their best mlg, Taller windscreens, side bags/panniers and other bulky goodies will increase drag and, in most cases, decrease mlg. My bikes, ESPECIALLY on windy days, have a bit more drag with the bags on. This is where tank bags make the most sense: they're hidden from the wind...for the most part.

I do run higher tire pressure when I want better mlg. Also, I'd run some of the more street-oriented tires if I was focused on improved commute performance/mlg. Blasting up and down the freeway isn't this bikes forte. It WILL do it; bit, it's happier cruising up-n-down the PCH. This, I know!
馃ぃ

Registered
Blasting up and down the freeway isn't this bikes forte. It WILL do it; bit, it's happier cruising up-n-down the PCH. This, I know!
馃ぃ
I hate cruising down PCH in SoCal. It's a zoo and filled with traffic lights, posers, and slow pokes. It's nice every 6 months or so, after that, I'm over it. :ROFLMAO: Having said that, cruising up and down Highway 1 North of Santa Barbara: SIGN ME UP! 120 miles of total bliss. North of the Bay Area is awesome too! Only around the congested areas of SoCal and Bay Area does PCH suck.

I'm getting 45 mpg on my '22 KLR. 80 mph cruising on the freeway (real speed). WOT here and there for passing on twisty roads. Spirited canyon carving. Some light off roading and around town riding. No saddlebags or top box. I've also kept to my 22/26 F/R tire inflation on Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires.

Registered
I hate cruising down PCH in SoCal. It's a zoo and filled with traffic lights, posers, and slow pokes. It's nice every 6 months or so, after that, I'm over it. :ROFLMAO: Having said that, cruising up and down Highway 1 North of Santa Barbara: SIGN ME UP! 120 miles of total bliss. North of the Bay Area is awesome too! Only around the congested areas of SoCal and Bay Area does PCH suck.
I make a trip down there once every 2 years, and I can barely pull that off! They can have it down there.

Premium Member
I'll say that your 2 most likely causes are TOO SNUG of drive chain and TOO LOW of tire pressure in the front tire.
The owners manual is in-correct on both of these items.

Set on the bike & have someone else check that your drive chain has at least 1/2 inch of easy freeplay. If it doesn't have freeplay Loosen it up. It is stealing a lot of power when it is bow string tight. And will wear out the chain & sprockets prematurely.

The skinny front tire needs more air pressure than the wider rear tire. I don't know how much you weigh or how much stuff you carry.
Try 34-32 PSI in the front tire and 32-30 PSI in the rear tire. These tips are FREE, try them.

Registered
The skinny front tire needs more air pressure than the wider rear tire. I don't know how much you weigh or how much stuff you carry.
Try 34-32 PSI in the front tire and 32-30 PSI in the rear tire. These tips are FREE, try them.
That's quite a departure from the Kawasaki 21/21. Can you elaborate why you prefer this?

I honestly think the factory 21/21 is just way too damn low for pavement. So please educate me I am open to suggestions. I weigh 180 lbs. fully geared up and ready to ride. On a typical ride, I carry no more than a 10 lbs. tail bag. When I go off road, I'll not air down lower than 18/20 F/R. Maybe I should air down more? Recommendations please...I'm on Dunlop Trailmax Mission Tires.

Registered
I鈥檝e always kept my tire pressure @ 33psi front, and 35-36psi rear鈥.regardless of where I ride. I don鈥檛 lower the tire pressure when I hit the trials. Too much of a pain.
The higher air pressure really helps with tire longevity (especially the rear) and of course fuel economy.

Reactions: alx_v and ZZnoTop
41 - 60 of 80 Posts