Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

2022 Base $7500 with some farkle upgrades or 2011 $3999 with all the fixes & mods

• 2011 with 685 kit

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • 2022 base with a couple of farkles

Votes: 5 45.5%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the question is 7500 on used base with a few owner added bells that he no longer rides.
Or...
$3999 for 2011 with 29,900 mi but only 500-600mi on 685 kit and all the mods and upgrades of a seasoned KLR owner.

EDIT: It was 500 miles since valve clearance checked I am going to check it out Saturday!
Leaning toward the 2011 - as I am fairly handy and do alot of my own wrenching anyway. Worse case i can keep it going and pass it down or sell it off after the "turd gens" (affectionate term borrowed from tacoma world we use to describe the 2015 and newer Tacomas) get the kinks worked out.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
966 Posts
Go with the semi-used base model….if you can afford it.
It’s 10+ years newer with probably a lot less mileage than the 2011 bike.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
At first I jumped at 2011, I'm biased owning a 2010 but 30k miles. How competent was the 685 done made me rethink. How many miles on 2022?
You sort of took the words right out of my mouth.

I'd be asking, Why are you parting company with this freshly 'rebuilt' 2011 bike? Did something not turnout well?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You sort of took the words right out of my mouth.

I'd be asking, Why are you parting company with this freshly 'rebuilt' 2011 bike? Did something not turnout well?
Right!! In speaking with the guy he seems very knowledgeable the sub frame bolt replaced and has aftermarket updgrade swing arm., doohickey done, cyclinder was sent off to EM. He just installed. Bike is running and Registration is current, tires are less than 1000 miles and new chain. he is Looking to buy a T7
Maybe he is a forum member? It’s in FTW, TX. It’s 2011 blue. Active FB marketplace, CYCLEtrader and Craigslist ads

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Maybe he is a forum member? It’s in FTW, TX. It’s 2011 blue. Active FB marketplace, CYCLEtrader and Craigslist ads
I've no idea who it might belong to. But it looks & reads to be a solid bike. I still like carburetors. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
The Gen 2!!
Wait till next spring when theses EFI bikes have been sitting all winter, there will be lots of problems.
Already having fuel pump issues.
The Gen 2 is well sorted and easier and cheaper to work on.
Carbs are easy!!

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,557 Posts
Old Bedouin wisdom: When buying a camel, look more to the seller than the camel. If you're satisfied that he knows his mechanical skills and can tell you in detail what he did to replace the piston and cylinder, then I'd prefer the Gen2. Electronic Fuel injection either works great, or not at all. But carbs tend to run worse slowly, giving you plenty of warning that they need attention. Unless you let them sit all winter with fuel in the bowl!

·
Administrator
4,497 Posts
Old Bedouin wisdom: When buying a camel, look more to the seller than the camel.
That's so true. When you go to look at something you can tell a lot about a person before you even get out of the car.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
The 2011 can take a sproket mod while the '22 cant without a speedo overhaul
Many riders have installed the 16T front sprocket on their 2022 model bikes.
It actually makes the speedo More accurate. But it does make the Odometer read a little short.

And I know of no-one that can 'overhaul' a motorcycle speedometer, electronic or otherwise.

Reactions: Reveille
1 - 14 of 14 Posts