Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rod from top gun confirmed with me yesterday that the 2022 shock is the same as the last model. I ordered a 8.0 rear spring.

Also the front springs appear to be the same as well. I ordered the progressive upgrade so I'll let you guys know for sure when I get them.
Hi how did the front springs worked?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased the top gun spring 8.0 for the rear suspension. Just wanted to confirm the top gun part number.. I pulled the stock spring from klr and noticed the top gun is a 1 inch difference in spring height Just wanted to confirm I received the correct part..

·
Premium Member
11,089 Posts
The stiffer the spring, normally the less preload required to set static sag. Think about that.

Reactions: PeteK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your response. Just to clarify I was talking about physical height dimension of the spring see pic. As an example I changed the spring in my other bike to stiffer spring but the actual static spring height was the same between the soft and stiffer spring. This is why I am thinking perhaps the top gun catalog listing was wrong for the gen 3 KLR or I just received the wrong spring ( spring number 450 A21) I will confirm with Top Gun and post once I have the answer...

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your response. Just to clarify I was talking about physical height dimension of the spring see pic. As an example I changed the spring in my other bike to stiffer spring but the actual static spring height was the same between the soft and stiffer spring. This is why I am thinking perhaps the top gun catalog listing was wrong for the gen 3 KLR or I just received the wrong spring ( spring number 450 A21) I will confirm with Top Gun and post once I have the answer...

That's what mine was like as well. No worries.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
786 Posts
Well after almost dying two dozen times and going thru 3 sets of underwear, I got my Top Gun 7.4 spring installed.

I’ve done a couple spring swaps in my days, but this one got me spooked. I ended up wearing my motorcycle helmet after one of the spring compressors slipped off. I don’t get shaken up easy but this one pulled my man card. Also ruined a brand new set of spring compressors, but she’s in.

Do not buy these spring compressors.

Attachments

Reactions: daave

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,405 Posts
For any of the younger members here, take note. A compressed coil spring contains a lot of energy. A few mechanics and hobbyists have been killed by one of those getting loose. Don’t be that guy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rod from top gun confirmed with me yesterday that the 2022 shock is the same as the last model. I ordered a 8.0 rear spring.

Also the front springs appear to be the same as well. I ordered the progressive upgrade so I'll let you guys know for sure when I get them.
Hey I just emailed top gun and they told me the opposite thing. Anyway you could let me know how the spring is treating you after a few miles with it on before I throw one on?

·
Premium Member
2022 KLR Adventure
272 Posts
Hey I just emailed top gun and they told me the opposite thing. Anyway you could let me know how the spring is treating you after a few miles with it on before I throw one on?
I got the Top Gun 9.3 for my 2022 and it’s been great. Do not order the 9.3 spring not matter what. Even if you think you’re gonna be above the bike’s GVW. Get the 8.X if you think you’ll be super heavy. Obviously if you need lighter then get the lighter spring.

Me and my gear weigh a lot and I’m on the first preload setting and it may be just a hair heavy.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
786 Posts
What’s your weight?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got the Top Gun 9.3 for my 2022 and it’s been great. Do not order the 9.3 spring not matter what. Even if you think you’re gonna be above the bike’s GVW. Get the 8.X if you think you’ll be super heavy. Obviously if you need lighter then get the lighter spring.

Me and my gear weigh a lot and I’m on the first preload setting and it may be just a hair heavy.
You think the 9.3 is too heavy?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts