Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm toying with the idea of parting with my 2014 CB1100 for a gen 3 KLR. I had an 08' about 5-6 years ago and have always kind of regretted getting rid of it.

Anyway, I've read a few comments about the gen 3 shifter being different? How is it different than the gen 2, or any other bike?
Thanks!
Doug

· Registered
28 Posts
I don't know about different, All my bikes were Honda's from 350 in 1970 to a Goldwing in 2005. The shifters were comfortable. Some of us believe the KLR shifter is too short/close to the foot peg. My KLR650 is receiving an IMS extended shifter this weekend.
RC

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,220 Posts
I wear a size 11 boot, and the stock shifter was problematic for me….on all 3 of my KLR’s.
The tusk shifter was a game changer, and highly recommend it.

Reactions: John Nicholas

· Registered
2022 KLR650
98 Posts
I wear a size 11 boot, and the stock shifter was problematic for me….on all 3 of my KLR’s.
The tusk shifter was a game changer, and highly recommend it.
If you can find one! All the aftermarket Shift Levers I've seen are on BACKORDER for the 2022 KLR! :(

Kinda like MANY of the items I'm trying to get for my 2022 KLR...

Willie

· Registered
2022 KLR650
98 Posts
I’m in the same boat!
Heading your way in Minnesota this weekend
Where abouts? I'm in the southeast 'burbs.

My Bike has electrical spaghetti coming from where the plastic should be, as it sits on the lift. I'm waiting for the only Switch, Fog Light in the country to finish its trip to my house so I can finish my aux lighting install! I have a few other electrical items to add too....

Willie

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
Anyway, I've read a few comments about the gen 3 shifter being different? How is it different than the gen 2, or any other bike?
The TIP of the Gen 3 shifter and the foot peg placement are in the Exact same places as my 1987 Gen 1.
Only the design & construction of the gear pedal itself has changed.

Works perfectly fine for most riders with non-steel toed work boots or cowboy boots. But if one installs taller & wider off-road pegs or wears OFF-Road boots, then the distance & height becomes an issue on ALL KLR's 1987 - 2022.

· Registered
797 Posts
Here's a thought I'll throw out there. Don't worry I'll be sure to duck when the wrenches and screw drivers come flyin' towards me. Have any of you guys thought of adjusting your shifter lever up one or two notches? You would be surprised it can make a big difference. Pro - you can get your boot tip under the shifter better. Con - the shifter is now higher requiring you to lift your foot higher to get on top. I had to do this on more than one of my motor purchases. For me, the POs had the shifters too low I needed them higher in order to get under the shifter faster and more comfortably. Sure, it took a couple rides to get the muscle memory affixed in the brain, but you soon forget that you made the adjustment. My Transalp is the first thing that came to mind, shifter was located too far down to get my boot under well enough. Fixed it now I'm good.

· Registered
111 Posts
Here's a thought I'll throw out there. Don't worry I'll be sure to duck when the wrenches and screw drivers come flyin' towards me. Have any of you guys thought of adjusting your shifter lever up one or two notches? You would be surprised it can make a big difference. Pro - you can get your boot tip under the shifter better. Con - the shifter is now higher requiring you to lift your foot higher to get on top. I had to do this on more than one of my motor purchases. For me, the POs had the shifters too low I needed them higher in order to get under the shifter faster and more comfortably. Sure, it took a couple rides to get the muscle memory affixed in the brain, but you soon forget that you made the adjustment. My Transalp is the first thing that came to mind, shifter was located too far down to get my boot under well enough. Fixed it now I'm good.
my 13 eee with adventure boots made shifting tough . Moving the lever up a notch helped but I miss second winding up in neutral too often .

· Registered
797 Posts
I moved my shift lever up a spline to see if I liked it better, just because it was so easy to do; I found that I preferred it as it was previously located, but it was certainly worth trying.
s
There are so many factors that play into what is better for you and your motor. Will it feel a bit uncomfortable at the beginning, after such a change sure because it's new. You have to weigh your options before buying new shifters or new boots etc. Seems like, in my case anyway, I came out okay with the shifter changes I made. I'm just thinking that look at the shifter position first as an option before doing anything drastic. I can certainly understand the issue of riders with larger boot sizes having issues I get that.

· Registered
797 Posts
Never thought of "moving" the shifter. Just read buy a new shifter and drank the kook-aid :cool:
RC
This is why I brought it up. Not everyone thinks about the little things. Trust me, there have been a lot of "issues" for me that I overlooked that had, or has, a simple answer and the answer was staring me in the face. Why I want to make things so complicated is beyond me. 😎👍

1 - 16 of 16 Posts